Shield Green Spring & Fuzz?

Inspected my wife’s gun. Found green in a trigger spring. I figure it’s paint to identify the spring as 9mm, but I don’t know why there is a white fuzzy thing in there. My PC Shield does not have anything in there. Pardon my ignorance :sweat_smile:.

I figure it’s a white plastic piece with fuzzies from q tips, BUT again my ox shield does not have a plastic piece in there. Granted, the triggers are very different.

1 Like

This white fuzzy thing in trigger spring as is a cotton material used to minimize vibrations.
Sometimes called “spring tampon” :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

I think that is the white piece I see under the green spring.

This is a beef I have with M&P. I had a similar issue with my shield 45 with red paint on the recoil spring. When red paint wears off it looks like rust.

If that’s green paint like I think it is, when it wears off it looks like mold or extreme fowling. I wish they would use paint like that with the parts,

2 Likes

Thank you!

2 Likes

It supposed to help from mechanical perspective… but unfortunately can cause rust if soaked with chemicals used to clean the handgun.
Hopefully this spring is somehow rust proof.

2 Likes

Edit: I don’t like that. That being said, it looks fine to me. We’ll run some rounds through it and then go from there. I’m interested in upgrading my wife to something better as well. Shield is a good gun, but there are better options out there now. I want to take her to the range and rent some guns and let her find what she likes.

It’s a cheap part. Maybe I’ll disassemble the gun, give it a good cleaning, change the spring (if I can find it in stock), run 100 rounds through the gun and call it a day. I really don’t like that cotton piece. It doesn’t seem smart to me to have any material that could attract moisture inside a handgun.

1 Like

Maybe the colors determine when the spring is on its way out. Green is brand new, Red is about to break😉

1 Like

:smiling_imp:
All this personal problem because of small cotton piece? :scream:

4 Likes

“Show me the dead Canadians!”

I have a few M&P pistols and they all have the cotton in the trigger reset spring. As said earlier, it’s to help dampen vibration. The idea behind it is to reduce the possibility of harmonics causing the spring to fail. Most springs that you buy now are going to have that. I know the Apex trigger that I purchased for one of my M&P’s comes with the cotton in all trigger reset springs.

As far as the color goes, the different color springs indicate different tension. This allows them to make the trigger weight different. Competition triggers are going to be lighter than that of most duty/carry triggers.

4 Likes

Hopefully, what is described as “cotton” is actually a synthetic fiber not inclined to absorb or be harmed by moisture. Making sure it gets dry if the pistol gets soaked or water-based cleaners are used seems prudent. It’s out of my personal experience, but I found:

I am a S&W certified armorer. The material you are referencing is sometimes informally referred to as the “tampon,” and yes, it is meant to be there. It is a cotton-like fiber material. Its purpose is to dampen the harmonics of the spring and prevent premature breakage. S&W has estimated the life of the spring without the tampon is about 3,000 rounds. With the tampon, the life of the spring is extended to about 20,000 rounds.
One-Peak4609

4 Likes

That makes a lot of sense and I feel
much more comfortable with that.

That 17,000 round increase is insane! Makes what I thought a con a huge plus!

2 Likes

I still find it odd my performance center doesn’t have this in it.

2 Likes