M&P 2.0 Recoil Spring Assembly

I was cleaning my carry gun (M&P9 2.0 4.25”) and after reassembly, I noticed a little chipping on the recoil spring, a little rust, and it looks like the recoil spring sticks out more.

This might be normal, but I wanted to show y’all and see what y’all think. Especially those with M&P 2.0s . (@Jerzees @Johnnyq60).

3 Likes

Mine doesn’t look like that.

3 Likes

What model do you have?

1 Like

2.0 shield

2 Likes

The shield recoil springs are flush. This is a full size.

I know it’s normal for the 2.0 45” to have a slightly protruding recoil spring, but I’m concerned this one may be protruding too much.

I also was surprised to find a little bit of rust on the top of my slide. I’ve never had rust on a carry gun before, but it has been extremely humid lately and I’ve been busier than usual and haven’t cleaned it as often as I usually do.

3 Likes

I just looked at my big boy m&p and it’s flush but it’s not a 2.0

1 Like

I looked at wrong angle,

3 Likes

Funny, looked at the Canik and it is so far recessed it almost looks like a 9mm 22cal O/U😳

3 Likes

This is my 5” 2.0 and it seems like the recoil spring is fit a bit better :face_with_monocle:

3 Likes

Look different with the slide forward?

2 Likes

It’s not a fair comparison because the slide hides the recoil spring pin since it’s an extended slide.

I’m honestly doubtful this is a serious problem, but I like to check and see what others say.

3 Likes

It doesn’t look like that on the G19x😉

3 Likes

I’m considering making the switch. I’ve got the gun & the holster!

On the surface the M&Ps look nicer, but when you disassemble everything seems like it’s built better tbh. That’s coming from my very uniformed opinion :joy::rofl:.

1 Like

My M2.0 40 S&W FS looks like that, although with less wear. I haven’t put too many rounds through it though as I purchased it right before the ammo shortage, and EDC my Kahrs.

3 Likes

I’m kinda shocked at the wear tbh. I haven’t shot this gun more than maybe 500 rounds.

1 Like

If it worries you, get a replacement guide rod assembly and see if it has the same effect. It might have more wear than your 5" because it is more forward of the barrel when the slide goes back. Add in the hex tool end, and it might show a different wear pattern (more attention grabbing) than a rounded end. Add in some slide overlap on the inner face of the hex bolt end and the wear might be more attention grabbing then a rounded end which is a more uniform wear.

The firearms I have that have rounded black guide rods show the black worn off on the edge, almost looking like it was meant to be there… if someone wasn’t looking for it or didn’t know that it was once entirely black.

3 Likes

This is with at least 2000 rounds though it. I stopped counting a long time ago.

3 Likes

I think this is the answer for SB and me… we just need to shoot it more. :smiley:

3 Likes

Sorry @Scoutbob , I won’t be able to help you finding good answer.

Recoil spring assembly at my M&P9 4.25" was the part I changed after one week of shooting this handgun.
I didn’t trust that part from very beginning and replaced with “Captured Stainless Steel Guide Rod” from Taran Tactical.

Even M&P 2.0 is awesome… it’s not perfect out of the box.

This is my guide rod tip (replaced):

A 2021-05-29 19-01-06

My guess is that your tip may be unscrewed a little…

4 Likes

@Scoutbob make sure your recoil spring and guide rod are seated correctly in that slot on top of the barrel. That is your guide rod sticking out.

2 Likes