New M&P Shield Plus

For all Smith&Wesson fans the M&P line now has this. Looks good and may be the next purchase for me. 9 MP Shield Plus | Smith & Wesson

4 Likes

Review by Mr. Guns and Gear

4 Likes

Looks like a great gun! My shield 45 is a thicker grip than the original Shield, and it was so much better in my hands. It looks like they made a similar sized frame but in 9mm.

That’s going to be a great option for conceal carry. I don’t carry my original shield much because the grip is too thin for my liking (great for concealment though). I have a feeling this is going to be a better for most folks. (I have pretty average size hands).

If you do pick one up, I definitely want to hear your thoughts on it. Everything I’ve watched says the trigger is great, but I’m used to that original M&P trigger.

3 Likes

They increased mag capacity from 7/8 to 10/13. Nice, but the gun has to become taller too

2 Likes

Surprisingly it’s not much taller, it’s slightly thicker in the grip.

Shields haven’t been the shortest guns for some time, however, they are one of the thinnest.

2 Likes

handgunhero web site shows no difference in size whatsoever.
Well, I have to see the Shield+ now. Springfield Hellcat did not stay on top for long as far as capacity goes.

2 Likes

I’m just curious…

The manuals on some of these popular, striker fired subcompacts (SC) often state to change the recoil springs (RS) at a relatively low round count. Does anyone with the Shield, G26, Sig 365, or similar follow that?

I usually hear about the importance on recoil spring changes on the Officer’s size 1911, but don’t hear anyone talking about it for the SC versions of the more popular striker fired guns. For the record, the the Kahr I carry also lists a relatively low round count # for RS changes that I adhere to.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure the shield Manuel doesn’t mention it. I wouldn’t worry about a shield. Can’t speak for the other two, but I’m sure they are the same. (I know the first guy is a bit polarizing, but I believe him on this one :sweat_smile:)

2 Likes

@Scoutbob I saw the James Yeager video. Now The TFB video is excellent because it really shows the reliability of the M&Ps. That’s why I love them. :+1: :+1:

1 Like

@Scotty , I’m not a guru at this field, but my guess is that has to do something with “spring length vs. coil amount vs. pound weight”.
Short barrel pistols have short recoil spring and the tension shorten their life.
For short pistols I recommend “recoil reduction spring system” (fe. DPM), where the tension is divided into 2 or 3 springs.
If you can find “flat spring” - it also is a good option. Flat springs are long-lasting vs. wire springs.

2 Likes

Pick mine up Friday :grin::grin::grin::grin::grin:

1 Like

Awesome dude :+1::+1:

1 Like

Does it work? :thinking:

Just kidding… Congrats :+1:

2 Likes

Find out if it works around 11:30 am Friday… my neighbors will know as well :grin:

2 Likes

I love it. Conceals better than my 2.0 Compact and fits my hand well. I have bigger hands and the 13 round mag allows my pinky to get on the grip. Ended up getting my wife one also. So she runs the 10 rnd mags and I run the 13’s. Unfortunately there are no extra mags available anywhere yet.

2 Likes

Welcome to the family @Gregory119 and you are in the right place at the right time.

1 Like

I wonder how the shield + compares to the pc shield +???
My first shot was 10 yards and hit the bullseye… highly impressed.

1 Like

Should be the same. Shield+ is available in PC trim, according to the S&W website. I doubt heavier handle would affect the dynamics and precision.
Do you want PC Shield+ for EDC? Any concern about porting if you fire from retention? I saw some videos recommending against ported barrel for EDC, for this reason, don’t know if this is real or just an arguable opinion.

1 Like

I have read a lot of recommendations against using ported firearms for self defense because of the disorientating blast you can receive when firing from retention. I don’t have any ported handguns though so can’t speak from experience.

2 Likes

@Alexander8, there’s not much of a difference at all. I have the first generation PC 9mm Shield. Maybe a tad bit with the muzzle flip and enhanced trigger job. I feel IMHO that they perform the same. You may need some extra cleaning time due to the ported barrel and slide. As far as drawing from retention in my experience no problems.

1 Like