M&P shield 9mm

What do you think of the M&P shield in 9mm? Worth buying . I am looking for a small ccw pistol.

2 Likes

Check this:

1 Like

Great carry gun. Not the smallest 9mm, but the Shield is very comfortable to shoot. I wish I had not sold mine. Current prices are tempting me to buy another one. I have seen them new for around $250, hard to beat that for what you get.

Oops, did not notice you put a link in Jerzy… I need more coffee.

2 Likes

I bought mine about 3 months ago to be my EDC gun and so far am very happy. For concealed carry, the form factor is perfect for me. Compact but not too small.

Some things I’ve noticed and I’ve heard others speak about:

The recoil spring is a little stiffer than you experience on other semi autos, so I could see chambering a round or locking the slide back being a little more difficult for some shooters.

It comes with two stock magazines, one 8 round and one 7 round. Not sure why they don’t just give you two 8 rounders. The 8 round is what you might consider an extended magazine, but on the 7 round the pinky finger will be off the grip for most people (just like many other subcompacts). I bought and installed an aftermarket grip extension on the 7 round magazine which makes shooting with the 7 round much easier.

Overall, I think its a great gun and I would recommend it.

1 Like

I’ve owned the 9mm shield for about 6 months,I love it. I carry it IWB in a Q series holster, works great for me

3 Likes

Buddy has one he EDC’s. Seems like a very nice piece for the $$. He has had no problems at all with his and it eats anything he feeds it.

1 Like

I don’t own a shield but I do carry my M&P 2.0 9c daily.

Smith and Wesson did a great job updating their trigger and slide. Being a bigger guy I’m able to get away with carrying a larger firearm, so I have the 4" barrel.

The M&P 2.0s are really well put together.

1 Like

In CA the state approved version is model 1 with “Up when loaded” lever on slide, thumb safety and magazine disconnect. I went back to my Kahr PM9. Same capacity and PM9 fires all Kahr 9mm mags. Easier to conceal. No external safety or magazine disconnect.

1 Like

I have carried a gen 1 for a couple of years for my body type it is easily concealed fires great and accurate. The only thing I would change is to make the safety a little more accessible, I can see someone having problems with it in a high stress situation.

2 Likes

Have been carrying the S&W Shield 9mm for about 3 years, what a great firearm. My wife carries the same ! Though she does shoot better than međź‘Ť Just go with what feels good to you!

3 Likes

Great gun and easy to conceal. Fires nicely on the range with good accuracy.

1 Like

Very highly recommended for edc specially in the summer time it’s slim an conceals perfect. Palmetto state armory has them right now for $199 after rebate for you guys outside California who can purchase

1 Like

Nice @Brett10!
Welcome to the group :grinning:

I use as my EDC and really like it. Added a pinky extension base plate to my 7 round mag and use as primary mag. Shoots very well and eats everything I’ve feed it.

1 Like

Love mine. Hard to find a single negative comment or review about the Shield 9. It’s just a damn good tool.

1 Like

Had two recent home invasions nearby. Crew of four with handguns. Pepper sprayed two young kids and pistol whipped the father on one. I put the Shield away and opted for more firepower with a Glock 19 for work around the house.

@bulldog,

I agree. For home work I carry my Glock 17. Plus I tend to shoot better all around with my Glock,

Yes its a great gun to cc

Pumpkin,
I have several handguns and the one I carry is the M&P Shield 9mm. I mainly bought it because it fit my hand, and was stated to be less than an inch thick. It hides very well inside the waistband. I use the bellybutton carry with larger shirts untucked. I believe Kevin Michalowski as well as Colion Noir mentioned moving the appendix carry to the center of the body, and move the belt buckle over a bit. You do not have the bending and sitting issues with the bellybutton carry. It is not a bother in the car either. The best way I have seen to carry and hide my Shield.
Anyway, the M&P Shield has a greater recoil than my heavier or larger Browning High Power as one might expect. I remember shooting a 380 MP Shield variety and being small and light it seemed to kick just as much as the 9mm, so I figured the 9 was a perfect fit. I have not seen much difference in felt recoil between 380 and 9mm.
Since I have small hands the Shield is a great fit for me. The Glocks that many people like just do not feel right in my hand. I also now have a Taurus G2 which holds 12 rounds. Also a very nice small gun, but just a hair fatter and bigger. There are probably a dozen smaller handguns that would work, but I don’t think anyone would go wrong with a Shield
The gun range I go to has a gun of the month deal where you can rent it for free. It really isn’t free you have to buy their ammo, but I like to try other firearms and even though I have found Berettas and Walthers being excellent guns with maybe better trigger pulls on some, but I still like my Shield. I have no regrets on that purchase.

1 Like

I have the 1.0 shield in 9mm and carry it almost daily.
Other carries are g19 and p320c

Shield is excellent. Don’t make it you first gun, but it is excellent.

1 Like