S&W M&P 9 2.0 Compact: Slide Release Problem?

I recently bought a M&P 9 2.0 compact, and took it to the range today. I really like the accuracy, and how it feels in the hand. I shot it very well for the first time shooting the gun. My only complaint was how difficult it was to release the slide when it was locked back, using the slide release. No problem when “sling-shotting “ the slide, but really hard to release the slide with the release button. Much more difficult than my other semi auto pistols. Is this a “break-in” issue, or something else?

14 Likes

Welcome to the Community @Patrick151

S&W refers to it as “Slide Lock” not a (Slide Release). The easiest way is to pull the Slide from the back (Sling Shot). As a quick answer.

15 Likes

Welcome to the family brother @Patrick151 , glad you could join us. Maybe it will get better with time and use.

7 Likes

Welcome to the Community @Patrick151!

5 Likes

And they seem to work better when hot/shooting…

5 Likes

Hello and welcome @Patrick151

4 Likes

Welcome @Patrick151

4 Likes

Welcome to the community @Patrick151 :us: :us: :us:

4 Likes

Thanks! I will plan to just sling shot the slide for reloads / stoppages. Just started with this pistol, so still learning.

5 Likes

Ya’made me go look at my m&p 2.0 45c, as I never paid attention to the…lock. Yeah, that design is not conducive to being a release, and thinking even if they offered an extended…er, lock, it’d be hard to thumb that down with the shooting hand as it’s pretty far forward.
I put extended releases on 6 of my Glocks, as I find their OEM release doesn’t easily allow one handed charging, would have done all 7 but I lost count. Beretta M9…stock with an extended release…'cuz Beretta knows!

5 Likes

Welcome to the Community @Patrick151 .

You have to be patient with slide stop in M2.0 model. Yes slide stop, not slide release - S&W did this in purpose in M2.0 model to eliminate auto loading by smashing the magazine into magwell.

It will loosen up a little after 500 rounds or so…but don’t expect it to be smooth like in Glock or SIG… or any model other than M&P M2.0 :wink:
If you really need slide release option you will have to, additionally to firing minimum 500 rounds, polish the entire inside surface of slide stop lever and file (with nail file or polishing stone) the tip of the part which interfere with notch in the slide. The question is: Do you really want do this? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:
If you have time, do “dry firing” with slide stop lever, moving it constantly up and down for few hrs… this also helps.

But, whatever you do, I strongly recommend using “over the top” or “slingshot” methods. :wink:

6 Likes

Ok, thanks! I’m cool with slingshot. Just was a bit concerned with how sticky the slide stop ( not slide release—- my bad :grimacing::grimacing::grimacing:)

5 Likes

This is my go to for concealed carry. The slide stop is intentionally harder to use. Truth be told, using that as a release instead of the slingshot method is a bad habit (one that i need to break as well).

4 Likes

@Patrick151, I figured a lot of responses would come from this post and BTW, welcome to the family brother and you are blessed to be here. Smith&Wesson designed it as a slide stop not a slide release. I have done it with a little force. But I find the sling shot method easier.

4 Likes

I bought the same pistol full size incredibly hard to release. My shield is a piece of cake :birthday:.

2 Likes

I have an m&p 9 and noticed the same thing. the best I have found is slingshotting. In fact, most videos

i have seen, shooters do the slingshot on most guns they use…a habit we need to instill. thanks

4 Likes

Welcome to the family brother @Thomas127 and you are in the right place at the right time.

1 Like

Welcome to the family brother @Thomas127 , glad you joined us.

1 Like

Welcome to the Community @Thomas127 …and…
Welcome to the M&P Family :wink:… Family of tje Stiff Slide Stop Lever :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

3 Likes

I have noticed the same thing with my M&P 2.0 Shield. I wasn’t sure whether it was just mine or if that’s how they’re made. I’m actually selling that one and waiting for my M2.0 compact to arrive, but I guess I’ll have that same issue. That’s fine, really, but I do sometimes release the slide that way with other firearms.

2 Likes