SECURE Truck Gun Safe/Vault

I have some travelling to do across country in my Chevy pickup truck. I am looking for a VERY, EXTREME, SUPER SECURE RIFLE gun safe I can mount in my truck and walk away without fear someone is going to be able to break into the gun safe even if they break into the truck. Mounting can be either interior or in the truckbed. I have been looking and to date have not found abything I feel comfortable with. Has anyone any recomendations?

3 Likes

I don’t know that such a thing exists. LEO’s get long guns stolen out of their vehicles sometimes.

IMO anything you can put in or attach to your pickup will have the possibility of theft if left unattended.

The best security for the firearm is to keep it with you, best lockup you can find for the truck and inside with you whenever you stop and go inside, especially overnight

2 Likes

I agree. I have made a pretty exhaustive search and have not found anything that impresses or gives me confidence. Carrying the rifles/pistols in and out every stop is not practical. I will be parking at hotels, shopping centers and at camping sites.

Most only have 16 ga steel at best, I want 12 ga minimum, Most locks are easy to bypass… watch the lock picking Lawyer on YouTube sometime and be humbled, scared.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=lockpicking+lawyer+gun+locks

/Some are so ridiculous they go on and on about how secure they are then say "AND EASY TO REMOVE ENTIRE SAFE WITHOUT TOOLS. Say What??

I am thinking maybe a truck bed heavy duty tool box with additional locks installed. Definately want the safe to be bolted to the truck frame. Another option is I may have one built at a fabrication shop. Hoping to find something already available and proven, plus it would likely be cheaper than the custom route.

1 Like

Another idea, break it down and take the bolt with you or lock it separately from rest of the rifle. I believe a thief will be less likely to steal a nonfunctional firearm. If the firearm is stolen, at least the thief will need to repair it first.

3 Likes

Knack toolbox are almost unbreakable.

3 Likes

I plan to be doing some camping in a VERY REMOTE but sometimes traveled part of the Mojave Desert. I do not want any part of the gun to be stolen, I plan to use t for recreational shooting and self protection at night at the campsite. Having even a part of the weapon stolen is not an option.

2 Likes

I’d stay with the gun if this is that important, then. Having the best safe possible makes stealing your truck the next step, and having a super secure safe broadcasts you having something worth stealing.

6 Likes

Have you seen this?

2 Likes

Of course not, and as @mattm stated, your entire vehicle can be stolen. So, yes, a good safe is a good start. Separating the firearm into at least two pieces makes it less likely that either part will be stolen, unless the thief likes to repair firearms to make them operational - which I highly doubt.

2 Likes

This looks promising. I still wonder about the lock, I might be able to mount something like that over the rear wheel wells while still under the lip of the bed rail top.and use the tailgate itself (which locks) as a “pre-lock” before getting to the vault lock. Possibly be able to waterproof the opening end. I will have to do some measuring. Thanks for the link.

2 Likes

I can keep the truck pretty secure short of any thieves showing up with a tow truck.

1 Like

Well then I’m confident you’ll be able to figure things out.

2 Likes

Continued research turned up this option. Quite a bit more than the Fort Knox, and, not sure they have a model for my truck, but it is worth considering. I think for the money I could have one custom fabricated out of 10 or 12 ga stainless steel that goes over both ends of the wheel well and has a top opening, still with the locking mechanism guarded by the tailgate. I have another option in mind but not found the product I would modify yet. WIll post it when I find it.

Good 2 minute video and the company’s website.

Video: Pickup Truck Bed High Security Gun Lockers for Rifles | Law Enforcement Weapon Storage - YouTube

john

2 Likes

I’m a carpenter and I have a few customers that are not 2nd addmentment friendly. I put a small, single vault in my center console. Also great for school zones!
I then tethered the vault to my seat, in between the mount and floorpan. Unless someone comes equipped they ain’t getting it out.

3 Likes