Sccy cpx-2

Hey everyone, hopefully y’all can shed a little light on a problem for me. So…a few years ago my wife bought a CXP-2. The first time she took it to the range, the slide locked back after every round. Even though I knew better part of me thought it could be a technique issue, so I took several shots of different brands out of multiple clips… without fail, so to speak, it locks back after every round. She now carries a 1911 in the Lord’s caliber, and while it’s the one she picked out of the collection, it’s not what she really wants to carry. Basically the CPX-2 is a paperweight. I’ve contacted SCCY, but have not yet received a response. Thanks in advance.

1 Like

First question that comes to mind: Are the magazines used from SCCY? If so Have you checked to see if there is a mechanical hangup? Have you tried loading the mag half full?
The SCCY units I have shot with have always functioned correctly.
Last question have you asked a Gunsmith to review the weapon?

Larry

2 Likes

They are SCCY mags, and I don’t see any issues with them. I took it to a gunsmith the week after she bought it, he called a couple weeks later and said he fixed the issue. Now it cycles like a champ unless you shoot it. When you shoot, it’s still a pump action :joy:

I appreciate your response! The pistol has sat in the safe for a good while and was forgotten about until recently. If I get a chance to get to the range tomorrow, I’ll shoot a video of it locking back. By no means am I perfect, so you may catch something I don’t notice.

Levi2, a friend of mine has a unit like yours if I can I will call him tomorrow he may have an answer, worth a try.

Larry

Thank you very much!

So, I just heard back from SCCY. They are sending me new mags, and if that doesn’t fix the issue, I’m told to contact them to send it in. :upside_down_face:

1 Like

Levi2, good news, hope it works.
Talked with my friend today, he found that the feed lips were shaped wrong and allowed the lock back bar to be held open.
He bent the lips down slightly until the lock back was clear and the mag still functioned.
Good luck

Larry

1 Like

Thanks! I’ll compare the new ones to the old ones when I receive them. If I can bend them to function, she’ll have 4 mags instead of just 2🤔

Remember to check for any burrs on the feed lips, you may have to lightly sandpaper the lips to ensure a smooth flow.

Larry

2 Likes

I don’t know much about your particular pistol but do you think your grip is manipulating the slide stop/release? A magazine would not stop the slide from going forward unless somehow it was inserted too deeply and then you would have to drop the mag to get the slide to go forward. The only other thing I can think of is that the slide stop/release is VERY loosely fit and it is literally bouncing up during recoil.

Cheers,

Craig6

1 Like

Update: got the new mags today. Hopefully it fixes the issue. @Craig6 I don’t believe it is my grip, but I have been wrong occasionally.:joy: However, I compared the slide stop to one on a CPX-2 a guy at the range had… The slide stop on my wife’s pistol seemed to have considerably more slack than his. Whether or not this is the/a problem, we’ll see. Thanks, I hadn’t thought about that.

2 Likes