22 TCM magazine issues

I have a Rock Island 22 TCM. I’m experiencing failure to feed in this pistol. It seems to be the magazine s. First round feeds perfectly subsequent rounds have noticed nose diving in the magazines and failed to feed. The rounds do not rise fully in the magazine after the first round. Does anyone have any experience with this. I read somewhere a 38 super 1911 mag solves the issue but a 38 super 1911 man will not seat and Rock Island 22 TCM/ 9 mm 1911.

I’m thinking about adjusting feed lips on a magazine but have not done so yet.

2 Likes

Are the magazines damaged, cracked or dented? Before you tinker with the feed lips or anything else, have the magazines, followers and springs been cleaned? After cleaning, pull a silicone rag through them and wipe the follower and springs. Don’t use oil! Oil collects grime, lint, carbon, etc. like a magnet. Everything should be dry when you put it back together.

If that doesn’t do it, replace the springs (cheaper than replacing magazines) and perhaps the followers.

2 Likes

I agree with SkippySanchez, plus, if you have cleaned them make sure those pesky springs didn’t put themselves in backwards!

2 Likes

Have had no issues with my double stack tcm/9mm mags. Like mentioned run the cleaning deal and double check spring installation.

2 Likes

All four mags are brand new.

2 Likes

After loading them, hold the mag body in your strong hand and strike it into your off hand palm base plate down. Hard enough to move the rounds in the mag. “Set the rounds” in the mag. Try it.

3 Likes

You need to work on their feed lips.
If you don’t feel comfortable with this, contact Hayes Custom Guns.
They helped me with magazines for RIA some time ago…

2 Likes

That’s something that’s habit for me anytime I load a MAG

2 Likes

All four mags do this? Were they all acquired at the same time? Could be a bad run of mags but, maybe.

2 Likes

Yes all four mags and all four came from Rock Island at the same time I bought the pistol. They work with 9 mm no problem but allow the tip of the 22 TCM to nose down before it comes to the top of the mag

2 Likes

Hmmmm.

1 Like

Yeah I know. I’m beginning to wonder if maybe I got a hold of a bad bunch of ammo at the oal is off. Pretty far-fetched though. I think just to rule out that bizarre possibility I’ll get my calipers off my reloading bench and check the rounds

2 Likes

Are you shooting the short tcm? Mine runs both very well. If it’s running 9s should run the tcm

2 Likes

Well I have is the full length TCMS. I’ve also thought about getting a box of the 22R TCMS which you know are shorter. Just to see

2 Likes

Be worth a try. How’s the feed ramp look? If you click one out of the mag can you see it isn’t feeding properly?

2 Likes

I had the feed ramp and chamber deburred and polished by a Smith. They look great and like I said the first round chambers cleanly

2 Likes

Try stretching mag spring. just a little. I don’t own a TCM but this has worked once or twice for on other firearm’s :us:

2 Likes

Rick I’m out of ideas. Sorry bud.

2 Likes

Extractor to tight maybe? Tcm is a cut down rifle case not a necked down pistol round slight difference in rim thickness, maybe? Just throwing things out there now.

2 Likes

Thanks for all your help Craig. I got some good ideas to look into.

3 Likes