New. Sig P320RX Compact

I am a Marine Corps veteran, however, have not fired a weapon since I got out in 1975. My expertise was using an M14 and M16 along with other weapons. I trained briefly with a 45 pistol, however, never used one. I have been familiarizing myself with my new Sig and have a question. When I rack the slide it locks back rather than releasing. I then have to use the slide release for it to be ready to fire. I feel like I am using enough force to hit my shoulder and not holding on. What am I doing wrong? I am going to take a training class within the next month or two.

4 Likes

Check your grip hand to make sure your thumb isn’t pushing the slide lock up?

4 Likes

Some pistols have a slide lock and not a slide release. Maybe you should check your grip and make sure you are not coming in contact with it when you rack the slide. I kinda agree with @CMBTVT. Are you testing this with an empty magazine loaded in the well because that will also make your slide stay back in the locked position.

5 Likes

I have been testing with an empty magazine. The magazine is inserted, however, is not loaded. I figured there is no sense inserting a loaded magazine unless I am going to be firing the weapon. If I am understanding you correctly the fact that the magazine is empty would cause the slide to lock back? Thanks for your help.

5 Likes

@OSUONE. thank you for your service to our great country :us:

7 Likes

Thank you for your service brother and god bless you.

5 Likes

@OSUONE. That is what @Johnnyq60 is advising. An empty magazine will cause the slide to lock back. The slide cycles with a loaded magazine after each round is fired. After the last round is fired, the slide will lock back. If the empty magazine is removed then you will be able to rack the slide without it locking back.

6 Likes

Welcome @OSUONE and thank you for your service sir!

5 Likes

well besides the fact that I am against the SIG p320, there could be a few things. Your grip could be hitting the slide lock/release causing this. Are you practicing with an empty magazine? This may seem normal to many here but a lot of people don’t realize that if you rack the slide with an empty magazine in the weapon, it will lock back because this is what happens when you run out of ammo. When teaching firearms to people, this has come up a few times. If the slide is locking back with no magazine inserted… it is more than likely the grip. It has been long enough since you have used a weapon that this may have been forgotten.

Also, Semper FI brother! Former Marine here as well.

4 Likes

If the magazine is empty and in the pistol, the magazine follower pushes up on the slide release/stop. Therefore, it is more difficult to use that slide release/stop with an empty magazine inserted. This is also why one cannot do an overhand slide rack into battery with an empty magazine inserted (unless you additionally press down on the slide release).

Some snap caps might be a good idea while you become familiar with the pistol. If I misunderstood your description, I apologize.

Thank you for your service.

6 Likes

Thank you, my honor.

4 Likes

Thank you, I should have thought of that. I only fired a 45 in training and never used it after that . I was of course very familiar with my M16, M60s, etc. My wife never wanted me to keep a weapon in the house except for my Kbar and some other knives so I am kind of rusty. Appreciate your help! Semper Fi

5 Likes

Thank you.

4 Likes

Welcome to the community and thank you for your service. God bless

6 Likes

Why are you against the P320?

2 Likes

That is exactly the issue. The weapon is made to lock back on empty so you know you are empty. If you just remove the mag and rack the slide it will go forward just fine.

5 Likes

I am not against the Sig P320 RXCompact as I just bought one. It has been since 1975 since I have fired a weapon and just had a question about the slide not releasing. I have been familiarizing myself with the gun with an empty magazine and that seems to be the problem. I did quite a bit of research before buying it and it came down to two guns, the Sig and a Glock 19. To be honest I would have been ok with either. They are hard to find these days at least in Ohio. When I found the Sig with a red dot I bought it and have no regrets. I do like the sights better on the Sig.

3 Likes

Yes, this is how my sig p365 functions. If it is empty, pulling the slide back it will lock when released. If there is a round in the magazine it will not lock but will load the round. It all depends on if there’s a round for it to load. If you want to practice, get some plastic snap cap rounds.

3 Likes

Hi Steven, what’s the beef with the sig p320? I was considering getting one if I can ever find it in stock.

4 Likes

I tagged you and chris in a thread with links to the recent lawsuit. It is a bit lengthy but I recommend reading through it and making a decision for yourself.

3 Likes