Savage 99

Have you lever-action fans ever handled or fired one? The most powerful cartridge I think this was chambered for was the .308 Win. - rather ironic, since the .308 case was developed from the .300 Savage. This is another I’d like to see brought back, in the 7mm-08 for a hoot. A rotary drop-box mag would be nice.

3 Likes

Used to hunt with a Marlin 444 lever action. Loved that rifle. Short barrel so not a long shooting one but easy to carry through thick brush and would power through just about anything.

1 Like

This is why a Henry Long Ranger is in my short list. I like the look and feel of lever action guns, and the rotary mag fed 6.5 Creedmor makes want one even more.

1 Like

I have both a 250 Savage and 300 Savage. I’m not sure if I love them for the way they shoot or because I inherited them from my Grandfather when he passed away. Either way, they are amazing guns. There were a lot of deer shot with those two rifles in Central WI.

1 Like

I have one that was my grandfather’s. You will not see the 99 made again. Cost of production is way too high for today’s market. The Savage 99 was a great rifle that was another one of those designed in the era when man hours were cheap and machine hours were expensive. Now, we are reversed.

2 Likes

I have one in .308, I think an E model. The thing has the finish worn off from many an Elk and Deer hunt here in Montana. They are a bit of a collectors item.

1 Like