Lever action rifle allure

I’m curious what draws people to lever action rifles.
Is it the old time reliability?
That they can be used with one hand like Chuck Conner in the Rifleman show?
Something else?

8 Likes

Yes.

:grinning:

Honestly, I like the simplicity of them, and the looks. (I prefer older lever guns).

9 Likes

“Rifleman” sucked.
“Winchester 73” with Jimmy Stewart !!!

3 Likes

A while back the Winchester mod. # 94, 30-30 was said to have taken more deer than
all other makes and models combined to include Moose. That may not
still hold true today but if you don’t own a lever gun your missing something. Especially the older other ones like the 25/35 and a lot of others that are
still ticking.
PS: everyone did fine without all the newfangled BULLETS we have now. Back in the day high tech bullets were silver tips & bronze points
( I still have some )
:us::us::us:

4 Likes

ARE YOU TALKING TO ME <<<image

5 Likes

@Matthew156 >>> step outside <<<image

6 Likes

My city code enforcement letters (no HOA here) for landscaping issues were sent by ‘Chuck Connors’ saying I needed to clean up my landscaping.
I think it was a psyops kind of thing using that name as the sender :slight_smile:

3 Likes

The lever gun is not as simple or reliable as it is often believed, yet they work well enough that they have a reliable reputation. They are not hard to figure out in terms of operation, and for me, there is a fit to my body that makes the right type of lever action one of the most stable and accurate for me to shoot. Often a lever action can be cycled without the same level of disruption to your shooting hold, and can be quicker than a bolt gun. They are however often a weaker action and are therefore limited in the power of cartridge they can safely shoot. You can get high power designs, but to my experience, you give up some of the quickness and ease of cycling to accommodate the stronger actions, often geared rotary bolts. And there is also the limitation ( without special designs of rifle or bullets ) that you can only use blunt nose bullets to prevent setting off cartridges in the tubular magazines most have are found to have.

A lever action just has a lot of people pleasing things going for it, not the least of which are quick follow up shots, ease of loading ( the side gate models at least ) and a very handy, comfortable feel for many. It doesn’t hurt that it is an attractive, historical design that has a lot of nostalgia to go with it. I find a lever action carbine to be one of the most enjoyable, and useful of rifles.

They remain a very practical and effective choice for many roles, and while much of the allure has to do with subjective features, there is a lot of value in something that is simple to use and understand. When you can combine, useful, attractive, and easy to use in one package, you have something that will endure.

11 Likes

They are fun and come in many cool calibers. Simple, reliable protection, whether in pistol or rifle calibers.

7 Likes

Used to hunt with a Marlin leveraction in .444. Loved that rifle. Not a long range weapon but great in the brush.

4 Likes

I loved watching the Rifleman growing up. I still love western movies.

4 Likes

I’d like them a lot more if they all came with a hammer safety and a safe way to decock. I have seen holes in hunting cabins from frozen fingers slipping off hammers.

3 Likes

@Aaron25 >>The newer Winchesters & Marlins have a cross bolt safety. Some people don’t like the way they look. I like mine and the safety works.

2 Likes

Blasphemy! A real man can decock a lever action without a… :wink:

Yeah, I get you there. The only “safe” way I know to decock one is to go to a safe area and work the lever. Sometimes you can pull the bullet out before it goes into the chamber, but not always. That is a serious drawback to the lever style gun.

It takes a little extra care to carry one.

4 Likes

Defiantly Rifleman! or even John Wayne even! I have a 22 Henrys and a 30-30 Winchester. I have been thinking about a .357 or 44 Magnum but, haven’t decided.

3 Likes

Henry uses a transfer bar, similar to what Ruger uses on their revolvers. As long as it doesn’t malfunction, which they rarely do but it is possible, then the gun will not fire unless the trigger is fully depressed.

5 Likes

I like lever guns, but, I do understand their limitations. A properly maintained one, will give a long life, of reliable service. As a hunting gun, they are great, even in traditional rifle calibers thanks to the Henry Long Ranger. For plinking, they are just plain fun. For my favorite part, nostalgia, well, I grew up watching Jimmy Stewart, John Wayne, and Chuck Conners dispatch the desperadoes with lever guns.

5 Likes

@Todd30 >> I like Marlins partly because they are very easy to clean.
You can take the bolt out and clean from the rear.
Easy Peezy Japanizi.
:us::us::us:

4 Likes

I like the way they look. I have a Winchester 30-30.

6 Likes

“My Hero’s have always been cowboys”. Hmmm, somebody should use that line in a song. :thinking: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Then who can forget John Wayne as Louis L’amour’s 1953 “Hondo”
Hondo (1953) (MFS) - Bing video

2 Likes