Should I buy a shotgun or rifle?

I sold all my Costco shares due to their political stance on stuff and with part of the cash I’m treating myself to a new firearm.

I have a handful of Remington Shotguns and was thinking of something higher end like a Benelli or maybe even a Henry. Does anyone here have either of these brands and if so what pros/cons can you tell me?

Or:

I shot a very cool smooth acting/action lever action 357 rifle this past week for the first time. Man was that smooth and accurate, and kinda fun in a Chuck Conners kind of way! Henry makes lever action, but I have no idea who else makes them of good quality. Thoughts?

I’d like something a bit more ornate with maybe some etching or something, but not a show stopper. Any help or advise on this would be greatly appreciated and if you have questions on how to better answers, don’t hesitate to ask.

5 Likes

When in doubt go with C.
C: both!

5 Likes

Which one would you use more?

hahahaha!!!
Funny but that is what I usually do!
My first big smile of the day, thanks man!

1 Like

I have die sets for 357 so if it’s the rifle I’d get that one. It would give me an excuse to actually use it and a handful of 357 R’s that I have.

The shotgun, I have a bunch of those so I may virtually never use it if it looks real pretty. I’ve used a higher end one, of better quality than 870’s and 1187’s and omg do they load and charge so much smoother.

To answer your question though, probably the lever action as I don’t own one and it would be fun.

No worries, always happy to help!
I’ve always been a fan of lever guns. I have a Marlin 30-30 that I enjoy using. As far as the 870’s go, I had to use mine as a boat paddle and crutch a few times to wear it in perfectly (all unloaded of course). It cycles like it costs 2-3 times the price now!

So, does Marlin have a .357? I’m tracking down their website now.
Plus, I guess with all the BS going on can I even find one of anything to buy, even if I wanted?

1 Like

I’m not sure if they do, but Henry does. Here they seem to be having more in stock every time I go. Academy has firearms in stock that the website says they don’t have. It might be worth visiting, if you are close to one.

1 Like

This looks amazing!!!

2 Likes

I like that! People here are making my “future purchases” list really long. I need to start playing the lotto…

If it’s a good looking shooter, I’d either go with the Henry, or an Uberti. I think the case hardening on the Uberti’s has a good look.

2 Likes

@45IPAC makes a good point! Case hardened anything looks good!

2 Likes

Looks like the Henry Big Boy is available case hardened also.

1 Like

I ve been looking at bullpup shotguns myself. Havent made a decision, but therr are some cool ones, like KSG or DP12

1 Like

I’m looking at everyone’s recommendations… a good handful of manufactures I’ve not heard of as well.

What do you plan on hunting—ducks or pigs? That’ll tell you which one you want.

1 Like

Honestly, I would go for the .357 rifle and then get a .357 pistol to go with it.

3 Likes

It really depends on what hole you’re trying to fill.

You could go cheap like I did and buy a nice Henry pump action .22M rifle w/octagon barrel. I love it. After using the action on a lever gun a few times I quickly realized that it wasn’t for me. All romance and PITA.

Check out the Browning MAXUS, either the Ultimate or the Sporting Golden Clays. I recently bought 2, the Ultimate and a All Purpose Hunter. I sort of wish I had bought the Sporting Golden Clays instead of the Ultimate. Anyway I have mostly Remington’s in my shotguns and like you said I wanted something a tad bit more. Love the features of the MAXUS and how it handles.
https://www.browning.com/products/firearms/shotguns/maxus-shotguns/current-production.html

Might be shooting myself in the foot here. Been looking around for a Marlin 1894 CSBL at a decent price. Currently hard to find and prices are a little high. If you’re looking for a 357 lever this one is hard to beat.