Let's talk lever actions

Alot of political discussions going on (and I enjoy them), let’s lighten the mood a little.

What model, caliber, custom irons or optics?

I had a marlin 336 (30-06) gave it to my dad, I really miss it and want another lever action. What else is out there

3 Likes

Ruger model 96 in 44 mag probably still my favorite. Wonder why they quit making them

2 Likes

.375 and .44 Mag with a Lyman Peep.

5 Likes

Older Marlin 1894 Cowboy rifle in .44 Mag; Henry Steel .357 Carbine. Great pieces, accurate and reliable. The Carbine is very handy size wise, and there are few problems that 10 rounds of .357 Mag won’t resolve. It will cleanly take a deer, though usually I hunt with the .44 Marlin.

3 Likes

Like I mentioned in the “Not an AR” platform, I am very interested in the Henry 44 mag. I like the brass 20” 10round rife with the large loop.

2 Likes

Another vote for Marlin 30-06

2 Likes

My TCR (Tactical Cowboy Rifle) is a Rossi 92 in 44 Magnum. Sights swapped out with fiber optic 3-dot. Very fast with low recoil using 44 special level loads.

2 Likes

I only shoot 38/357, so my one and only rifle is a Henry lever action in 357. Makes ammo purchase and reloading simple when I can shoot the same thing in my rifle and my handguns. I don’t do any serious hunting, so it’s more of a ‘just because I thought I might need a rifle’, but I did put a scope on it and can say it is an accurate firearm at least to 100yds(most I’ve tried.) Very nice gun.

3 Likes

I’m in the same boat. And it’s an excuse to get another firearm. :smiley:

1 Like

You need an excuse?

2 Likes

Justifying it to myself… :innocent:

1 Like

Heard an awesome quote but forgot from where.

“I need that gun to fill the want in my heart.”

4 Likes

I have a 1873 Winchester 357 Mag/38 special
Great rifle fun to shoot.
Shooting 38 cast reloads doesn’t cost much more than 22’s and is more fun.
As far as hunting a 357 from a 20” barrel is a heck of a brush gun.

2 Likes

Lever guns are fun and can be surprisingly capable in a self defense situation. Particularly if you dont have a Henry that is front tube loading, its easy to top off the magazine at will through the side loading gate.

But at the end of the day, they are just fun. I love them. I have them in .45-70, .30-30., .45 Colt, .44-40, .44 Mag, .357 Mag, and .22 LR. They are fun, fast, and just feel right. You dont need an excuse to buy one.

3 Likes

I have a very specific lever action on my “want to buy someday” list. It’s the one Chris Pratt’s character in Jurassic World had. The internet says it’s a Marlin 1895SBL chambered in .45-70 :drooling_face:

4 Likes

I did not know Marlin ever chambered the gun for .30-06.

1 Like

I love the right lever action, and there are more out there than one might think. Besides the pistol caliber carbines like the .357 and .44 mag, you can get up to a .338 win mag in a browning, or up to a .308 from henry. I think Henry even expanded that just days ago to include a few more. Browning calls theirs the “BLR” while Henry calls one of their lines the “Long Ranger”.

But my favorite has to be the Henry lever action .22. It is one smooth, and quick, little rifle!, and it is so accurate for me that I wouldn’t think of using snake shot, a bullet will go right where I want it at any distance where I cold even see the snake to shoot it.

Not all lever actions are created equal though, for me, I found the straight grip stocks just fit me, and the hold I get on them lends itself to steady shooting. Not so for the bent grip models.

So far my lever guns have always been iron sights. To go along with the other convenient aspects of a lever gun, the quick sight acquisition of open sights, and the simple, no fuss shooting were all part of the appeal, and still are.

For a bullet caster and handloader, the 30-30 lever action comes with an added benefit. It can drive a gas-checked lead bullet as fast as you can reasonably run any cast bullet out of a rifle, and the accuracy of a good cast lead bullet is well within the capability of the rifle. As a reloader I can get all the performance the rifle has to offer, and keep costs as cheap as I can shooting home cast 38’s, it also allows me to shoot it at times like this with little worry I’m going to run myself out of bullets, or pay the ever growing cost of off the shelf ammunition. The .357’s and 44 mags are much the same, provided you run gas-checked bullets with the increased velocity you get out of the longer barrels.

If only I could shoot other rifles as well off hand as I can the right lever gun. :slightly_smiling_face:

edit: Ps, thanks for the thread idea, I think I’m one who could use a break from his own serious feelings about things, good to get back to something fun.

Think you mean 30/30. I don’t believe any tubular magazine rifle has ever been chambered in ‘06

1 Like

Had to be an old country song.Maybe Hank Snow or Lefty Frizzell?

1 Like

I think Ruger got the rights to Marlin from the Remington break up. If that is correct it will be interesting to see what comes from them going forward.

3 Likes