Should I buy a shotgun or rifle?

I’m partial to rifles. I think they are the more versatile tool. But it really depends on what you want.

Wow, that is very nice! When I went to Marlin’s site I couldn’t find any .357’s at all. My search skills suck. :slight_smile:

If I were in your shoes I’d be looking at the lever-action. You have dies for ammo, already have lots of shottys… Maybe time for something new.

Marlin and Henry are the only two brands I know. I have a friend with a Marlin in .357 and he loves it. If you happen to live in an area that doesnt like ARs, a good lever action is a great alternative with good capacity, no mags, no pistol grip. Some models let you “modernize” it with foregrips and rails so you can trick them out just like an AR with red-dots, scopes, lights, etc if that floats your boat.

I agree with @Zavier_D if you get the lever-action in .357 its begging for a pistol complement.

Chris Pratt carried a SWEET lever action in one of the Jurassic Park movies, its on my shortlist

3 Likes

I think the consensus is the lever action, so I’m taking the shotgun out of the running.
It must be calibered in 357, then I can use 357 or 38, and have dies. It’s a matter of which brand.
I’m a fan of real wood (brown woodgrain) and silver, and as a kicker if there’s etching that’s a plus.

3 Likes

I don’t know his prices, but if you want lever action and CCH, this guy is THE man. https://www.tylergunworks.com/

awww, what if the shotgun is practically free but awesome (compared to Benelli, whom I love)?
I have a Stoeger M3000 Sport (30" barrel, semi-auto, BLUE HARDWARE (pretty), and hasn’t let me down yet)…
I saw an ad recently, I forget from whom (maybe Grice from my state) for the Stoeger M3000 and M3500 series being on sale… We’re talking probably sub-$600, maybe sub-$500…
Then pick up a golden boy :slight_smile:

So I guess I agree here:

1 Like

I won’t be getting another handgun, just the lever action.
But, I did just get a 15% off coupon in email for All Season Feeders, so now I slightly thought about instead of the LA maybe a new raised blind for hunting those nasty pigs better.

Hummm, nope, the Lever Action. Now to find one locally, or do I have to order it?

1 Like

Right now buy anything you can get your hands on, and the maximum amount of ammunition you can afford, mortgage the house if you have to, extreme times and all…

1 Like

if you can get a RugerAR556 rifle. It doesn’t fit what you were looking for but its a tight little AR platform carbine. And the price was very good ( until the corona/riots started).

Local ranchers consider lever action .357s to be the best 'yote medicine around these parts.
If you have a 'yote problem.

I’ll bite…whatsayote? This isn’t like whatsahenway, is it? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Got one already man. Actually I have the model up from that the Ruger SR-556

1 Like

Funny, a yote is a coyote same as dillo is an amradillor, or a coon is a racoon, or as they say on trailer park boys, a sand-sqwatch is a Sasquatch.

1 Like

I’ve seen it listed on websites like gunbroker.com, but prices tend to run high because of the high demand.

@Doug18 Hey Man! They have one!!!
I’m trying to login and authenticate with gunbroker to buy it but they are having trouble authenticating me. But, it’s exactly what I’ve been looking for. Thanks for the advice!

2 Likes

If you get a Benelli then it better be the M4…by far one of the smoothest shotguns I’ve ever played around with. I’ve even gone skeet shooting with the M4. But one of the most underrated and fastest shooting shotguns on the market is the Winchester SX3. I would definitely look into the SX3.

Good luck, glad to help.

One important thing about a shotgun is it needs to fit you. Mount it correctly and it will launch it’s load at whatever you’re pointing at. Your eye is the rear sight(there is no front sight, only a bead which some find a distraction,) unlike a rifle, which needs to be aimed using front and rear sights.

@Fizbin, I am now having the same problem. I’m getting close to the next purchase and I’m having trouble deciding between keltec RDB and KSG. Usually at this point I would get both, but I can’t afford both🥺