Ruger 57, Who's in?

Did I miss any discussion about the Ruger 57 competitor to FN Five-seveN?

https://ruger.com/products/ruger57/models.html

1 Like

I’ll admit to having a good time, for a bit, browsing the Guns.com auctions for the new Ruger. Somewhere along the way however I came back to one of the considerations which kept me from owning one of the Fabrique Nationale Herstal Five Seven… the place the 5.7x28 really earns its place is as a carbine or rifle rock thrower. So, I’m hoping we’ll all get to see something along those lines to compete with say the CMMG or PS90. Then, maybe I’d go for the single cartridge - single manufacturer system in 5.7x28. …or FN will drop the price on their current offerings by half and then… well, you know! :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

I think it’s cool. I’d like to see a Ruger PC 57. Now, that would be a hoot.

2 Likes

I should be able to get my hands on one in just over a week and I’m thinking about getting one in a couple months after FN drops their price to compete and ruger drops their price… Plus after this high demand for ammo and manufacturers stepping up, after awhile there should be a surplus in ammo and cheaper.

2 Likes

The 5.7x28 cartridge seems to have a lot of beneficial features:

• Low recoil
• Small footprint
• Reduced penetration due to “tumbling” when it makes contact

The main things that have kept me away are cost, sole source supply, and availability of ammo. Maybe Ruger entering the market will have enough success to interest additional brands to jump in resulting in economy of scale. Till then, I will watch from the sidelines. 

1 Like

Another one to watch is the .22 TCM. The cartridge is very impressive-like 400 FPS faster than the 5.7 in tests with similar barrel lengths. Again though, single source for ammo/ firearms. If one of the major makers had brought it out it would be a success. As is, future is uncertain due to the sole mfg. I’m intrigued by very high velocity .22’s out of a handgun, but I’ll hold off on buying until a bigger mfg. starts making ammo/firearms. And before somebody asks, no, neither of these is “the same as a .22 Mag”. They deliver more beans at 100 yards than a .22 Mag out of a Rifle…

3 Likes