5.7x28 … FN 5.7 vs Ruger 5.7

Curious on people’s takes/opinions/experiences with one or both of these firearms, and/or with 5.7x28 ammo itself. I have no experience with.

I’ve been watching videos online regarding the two firearms, the biggest take from what I have seen have been the sight comparisons.

I’m seeking further information/experiences with one or both firearms, & the 5.7 caliber itself.

Thank you for your time.

2 Likes

No personal experience here either. Had an itching for the Ruger about 2 years ago, but would have needed ammo, and seeing as I had 8k of 9mm and 5k of .45 acp already I thought better. These days I look at 5.7x 28 at $1 a round and up for the 40 grain, the 27 grain which was the main draw of that gun imo no longer being available, and feel it’s not a round I wish to pursue. My match grade .308 cost me less that that, goes 500 fps faster, weighs 4x as much and gets me on paper at far greater distances than I can even see with a pistol.
Not sure if you saw the vid comparing the Ruger 5.7 to the kel-tec .22wmr pistol. Had me thinking kel-tec, ammo is 1/3 the price now, ballistics somewhat similar iirc. Good vid, worth looking for.
Just babbling, but noticed you had no responses, so…here I am :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

2 Likes

I got the Ruger for Xmas last year. For a Full- size I love it. It fills its role perfectly -
Fast enough to penetrate yet light enough it won’t travel forever if you miss.
Same caliber as P(S)90 and now the P50 eases logistics in a SHTF scenario.

There was a recall for some early models due to the safety lever cracking internally but as far as I know that was limited & fixed. Ammo is coming down (relatively) again. Around $1/rd opposed to the $1.50 it had been. I’ve actually seen more 5.7 than 22wmr lately. My wife appreciates the lower recoil than her 9mm & 5.56. Waiting on the Rare Breed infringement to be resolved so we can drop the FRT in the Banshee.

1 Like

Love the FN FiveseveN. It is a tack driver. Low Recoil, very accurate and from what I have read the 5.7 X 28 is a good defensive round. The grip is not a abnormally large, feels more slender than a Beretta. Easy to clean and is very reliable. I have had interest in the Ruger 5.7, perhaps I will buy one. As for the drawbacks:

1. It is a full size pistol,
  2. Limited Ammo Choices, I have seen FN and American Eagle, no other choices. Surprisingly I have had little trouble finding it. Perhaps it is price (.50 tp .75 cents per round locally)
  3. Expensive, FN is really proud of it.

I would not feel inadequately armed with it. Also surprised at how accurate it is. I could probably hit a target 25 or more yards out if needed.

1 Like

I’ve read the FN pistol will not fire without a magazine inserted, So the Ruger gets my vote!

2 Likes

Actually a nice feature for some. Remove the magazine and set it elsewhere, pistol is “safe.” (Note Quotations). However The Ruger has all steel magazines, the FN has plastic magazines. It also has a nicer price. I would love to compare accuracy of both.

1 Like

Bought the Ruger last December and one box of ammo. I had shot the FN at the range years ago and loved it, but way too costly, both the pistol and the ammo. The Ruger piqued my interest as I have several in various calibers.

I won’t be carrying it, but using it as a home defense weapon. The good news is the ammo price has come down, but I still consider it a “boutique” firearm. It’s probably the only gun I have that I have “splurged” on.

2 Likes

I talked to a salesman at the gun store who has fired both. He felt that the ruger 5.7 was a good handgun, but didn’t feel as nice as the FN when shooting. He Also said the Ruger had some trigger slap, but it could have been the particular gun he fired. Both had excellent fit and finish, but he preferred the FN 5.7. One issue with the FN, magazines and other accessories are harder to find. I will throw a monkey wrench into this, ever consider a PMR 30 (30 rds 22 wmr)? Like the capacity of the Ruger 5.7 or FN 5.7? How about a Springfield Armory 9 mm XDM, it has 20 rds in the mag an one in the pipe, and is a tack driver to.

1 Like