Rentals and Returning Purchases in Michigan

Hello!

There are three pistols I’d like to try before I buy and use as my EDC: the CZ p10c, the HK VP9, and the Walther PDP compact. However, the ranges near me only seem to have the HK in stock. Is there a safe and legal way to access the other firearms and either rent them or buy AND RETURN THEM FOR A REFUND if I don’t like them? I’m based in southeast Michigan, near Detroit. Also, I’m a little strapped for cash, so I can’t afford to buy all three, or even two, for that matter.

Thanks!

5 Likes

Look for a gun range with rentals. I’ve used Accurate range in Clarkston but there are others.

5 Likes

@Michael1847 Welcome to our community, we are glad to have you with us. :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes

Welcome @Alexander63 and @Michael1847 ! Unfortunately, all firearm sales are probably final. As @Michael1847 suggested you can hunt for a range that has the models you are looking for. Having to buy a firearm untried is a thing of life for people like us in this forum. With the vast range of offerings, it’s impossible for shops to have every brand and model. The thing i would do is research. Look at reviews and forums of the options you are considering, and make your best educated decision.

6 Likes

Walther is pretty good with this.

Check this website for details:

Few years ago they had “Try before buy” program… which worked same way. I bought PPQ… and never returned it. I loved that pistol. :love_you_gesture:

6 Likes

I agree that finding a shop with any type of return or exchange policy is likely a non-starter (those that do often knock a percentage off of the refund amount). However, ranges often forego charging for rental firearms if you purchase a like model after shooting. “Try before you buy” is more common if you are looking at a used firearm.

6 Likes

also a sporting goods with a range.

5 Likes

@Michael1847 Welcome to the community!

3 Likes

Welcome

2 Likes

welcome to the community from the Keweenaw

3 Likes

Yes! I’ve been trying, but out of my three choices, the ranges around me only seem to have the HK VP9 in stock.

1 Like

I’ll definitely check this out, thanks!

1 Like

You can expect nobody to take a firearm on return. If it were to be defective, they’d probably have you go through the manufacturer to get it fixed. Return for a refund because you don’t like…likely nobody does that.

I have fired all of those and own two of them. If you don’t mind the full size (concealment is more difficult) I recommend the VP9 from that list, personally.

3 Likes

… except Walther. :smiley:

There are few others who give a chance to try before the final decision… but unfortunately it involves travel to the factory… :confused:

3 Likes