Purchasing firearms online

Hey all-first post here in these forums…
I’m looking at possibly buying a Walther PDP from the Bass Pro website. Something is giving me pause, however. How do you all prefer to buy your guns? I would love to buy from one of our local shops but nobody has one in stock. I almost bought it a little over a week ago but I decided to talk to my wife about it, being my first gun purchase. Well, that conversation didn’t go well. But the other day I decided to go for it but the shop sold it before I could get back to get it. I found a much better price through Bass Pro ($150 cheaper). This may sound a little tin foil hat-ish but I worry about this being an all too convenient way for the government to track purchases of guns if things get wildly draconian. Thoughts?
Sorry for the long post!

2 Likes

Hello and welcome @Jorrtvh .
I have bought online in the past, it is basically the same as purchasing in store. It gets shipped to your choice of FFL and you still have to fill out a 4473. You are just paying for it online rather than in store. The only downside I have had is the transfer fee.

Hth

5 Likes

(Edit: @Karacal had it down. I think we were typing at the same time :grin:)

I know we want to support local gun shops, but I have purchased multiple guns from big box stores (lost the guns in a boating accident). I wouldn’t worry about that.

As far as online sales go. You still have to do the background check paperwork through your FFL (or if you pick it up at a big box store). I have not gone through the process yet, but I wouldn’t be worried about online tracing. I buy ammo and mags online, that’s probably just as telling.

5 Likes

It’s the different time zones :rofl:

2 Likes

Thanks guys. I figured I shouldn’t worry about it. I guess it’s just my mind trying to play a little too much 4D chess.

1 Like

Now it remains to be seen if I still have to wait weeks (or months) to get my Walther or if it can arrive soon!

1 Like

It is a good idea to sign up for the Notify Me option at several on line shops and maybe put on back order with a shop or two as well. Then keep doing random online searches for “Walther PDP in stock” at random times day and night. Then you have to order the second you get notification or find one. It took me six months of all these methods to get my most recent purchase. Hope your search is shorter!

1 Like

At this day and age, just steal the damn thing, crime pays!
Seriously if you live in any of our communist states, it’s quicker and probably safer! Since, in six months you’ll be forced to sell it back to the government for $50.00 bucks! That’s when my wife would kick my butt. So I purchase my weapon for $300. and the government pays me $50 to give it back!!! That’s cause for divorce! Felons don’t have 4473’s to fill out, pay no taxes on their weapons acquisitions, they don’t get divorced, they just walk and the government encourages crime, best of all the, the 2A only applies to them!
So why trouble yourself? Save your marriage and steal it!
Warning! No animals were injured during the writing of this rhetoric. The same warning applies to you actually going out and stealing it! I’m sure I don’t have to tell you that Hemorrhoid H is not taken orally, yet it’s on the box.

3 Likes

Thanks Shamrock! Yeah I put my name in at the shop where I should’ve, uh, pulled the trigger… in the first place! I’m really kicking myself now. I’m resigned to the fact that it will take many months to find one. I’m not sure exactly what happened with the online opportunity with the Cabelas/Bass Pro site. I went back to complete the thing and now it’s not letting me do it. I had an add to cart option before but when I clicked it nothing happened. Maybe they had one and it sold that quickly…

1 Like

Yeah no doubt. It sure seems that criminals are a favored class these days. I’m in Iowa so we’re pretty good here at this point!

2 Likes

Glad to hear that! In that case buy two, you’ll never be able to buy another! Especially if all these bills get passed by executive order! If you find ammo, well use your imagination :innocent:

1 Like

I guess I could go back to my favorite shop and see if they still have the Glock 45 I checked out a couple of weeks ago. I liked that one until I fell in love (at first touch) with the PDP.

2 Likes

Don’t think you could go wrong with either. I think how a gun “feels” in your hand can be over rated. You want to make sure that you can operate all the controls easily and reach the trigger naturally. But comfy in the hand at the gun store doesn’t necessarily mean you will shoot it better. One of the least “comfortable” guns I own is the one I shoot the best. It happens to be a Glock.

3 Likes

That part has been on my mind. I liked how easily I could get to the mag release without changing my hand position any, FWIW.

2 Likes

Anyone have thoughts on the CZ P10? I liked the video reviews I saw of that one. They had one of those at the shop.

I have no personal experience with the P10 but CZ is a well regarded manufacturer and the P10 seems to have a good reputation.

Being able to work the controls without breaking your grip is an important consideration! I have relatively small hands (size medium gloves are usually a little tight on me but large are too loose). I would not be able to work the mag release on the double stack Glocks without shifting my grip if I was right handed. Being left handed I use my trigger finger. Some people train to use their off hands to work some controls but that does slow you down a bit for reloads.

1 Like

And I like that Walther has a 30 return policy if a person isn’t happy with their decision.

1 Like

Sootch on YouTube (if you’re familiar with him) LOVES the P10.

1 Like

It seems like a great gun as long as you can work the controls and pick up some spare normal capacity mags for it before they get banned. When looking for my first self defense gun over a decade ago I almost got a CZ 75 but the model I was looking at did not have an ambidextrous safety so wouldn’t work for me. If I wasn’t already invested in Glocks I would definitely give it a serious look.

2 Likes

I was in a similar position as you are recently. I really wanted to go with the Walther PDP, but the Glock 45 just kept on calling to me. I ended up going with the G45 and man I’ll tell you, it has rekindled my love for Glock I sort of lost a long time ago. Now I only wish I wouldn’t have waited so long.

The CZ P10 is a pretty awesome pistol as well. Seems to me like you got it narrowed down to a win for you whichever way you go. All three are fine pistols.

2 Likes