Online Ordering Guns?

Does it save money, is it worth it? Bad experiences, good experiences? I see a lot of advertisement for Buds and Sportsman Outdoors.

1 Like

I have had good and bad. I would be hard pressed to buy anything from gunbroker or such places, but will buy guns from well known members of some gun forums I participate in.

1 Like

Anything I find online I forward to my gun shop and let him buy it for me with dealer pricing and often free 2 day shipping.

That way, by the time I get it, it’s still the online price or less with his markup and background check fee.

3 Likes

I have bought a couple online because my local gun shops distributors didn’t have them or we’re out of stock. I’ve used buds and Sportsman’s guide and have had pleasant experiences with both.

2 Likes

FWIW-- I’ve purchased 3 firearms online since December. Each was purchased from a different site. Even adding in the $20 my local dealer charges to transfer I beat my local price by $55 to $157 depending on which gun you look at. My local dealer said the last one was only $40 above what he would have paid Browning. My local dealer says he makes more each day handling transfers than what he makes on firearms. In short my limited experience with online buying is positive.

2 Likes

I’m glad to hear transfers are still good business for local gun shops. My problem with most gun shops is their prices are simply not the best. I want to support small business, but I also have to support my family. That means finding the best prices.

4 Likes

Have you tried to negotiate prices at your local dealer…i know the few i go to will all give a better price than originally marked…give it a try, you’ll be surprised

4 Likes

I purchase from a local privately owned gun store/gunsmith. The prices maybe a little more but I add money to the local economy and get great customer service. I even have their personal cell phones numbers. Try and get that from an online retailer. Not gonna happen.

2 Likes

@Ben_Blanc

My shop will negotiate price with anyone who walks in but me.

3 Likes

I have bought guns from Sportsman Outdoors and always had good service.

3 Likes

might be time for a new shop @Orpackrat

I have purchased from online, auction, and local and generally find that on certain guns (my Ruger PC( for example) I got a better deal online but on others, when you add in shipping and NIC, it is just as cheap and much easier, to buy local. SO…that being said I shop online for pricing and then go local to see what kind of deal can be negotiated.

2 Likes

I have ordered from:

https://outdoorsportsusa.com/.

Have had a good experience with all three.

1 Like

Got my 1932 numbers matching hex receiver Mosin 91/30 and an original Canik TP9 online from J&G Sales a few years ago. Got a Colt Gov model 1911 and a Taylor’s & Co. Uberti Smoke Wagon Deluxe .45 LC online from Sportsman’s Guide. Been great experiences! A couple other guns bought locally at Fleet Farm and Bass Pro shops.

Never bought a gun from a small gun shop though.

1 Like

Since I have a Texas LTC I do not have to go through a FBI check when I buy a firearm in person. I just present my license. Texas considers the fact that you are squeaky clean with the LTC… since they regularly check you throughout the year.
Buy local… add to your own economy. IMHO.

3 Likes

@TexasEskimo

That’s how I buy my guns. Locally, costs me a bit more but what happens to your local gun shop when they go out of business. My town lost 2 gun stores over last 2 years.

5 Likes

Buying locally is what I did back in my single & irresponsible days. Nowadays… Wife & 3 sons have forced me to seek out better prices online. But, I only buy from a few online sources that others have recommended. Everybody ain’t legit online! :wink:

2 Likes

@Ben_Blanc

The reason the shop will negotiate with anyone but me is that I already get the lowest price possible. Employee pricing, 10% over cost minimum $25.

2 Likes

Nearly all have been from online dealers. I have found the experience to be pain free and a lot cheaper. I’ve had only one challenging experience from a new company that didn’t have their systems sorted yet.

2 Likes

I am a gunbroker.com fan. I’ve bought a lot from them, and have had only positive experiences. I’ve also saved a ton of money.
I hate to admit it, but I’ve bought some guns just because they were such good deals.
Not just guns–ammo, knives, gear.

3 Likes