Reloading Supplies

I’m finding it difficult to find reloading supplies. Does anyone have the inside scoop on where I would possibly purchase powder and primers for small pistols?

3 Likes

@Philip46 Welcome to the community. All the reloader’s here are wondering the same thing. :thinking:

2 Likes

Thegunstore in Waterbury CT had small pistol primers in stock as of yesterday. Not sure where you are, but you could call.

2 Likes

Thank you for the input!

2 Likes

@Philip46 Welcome aboard. As @BRUCE26 said we are all in the same boat.

If you find a source you will pay a premium price. :cry: :cry:

3 Likes

I have been finding items are hit and miss. Two weeks ago I got 1000 small pistol primers. I also got some .45 bullets. I am good on powder for now but, I am still looking and working on getting more supplies. You defiantly have to hunt for it. I look for it every morning on a various sites. Going to the stores and asking them about supplies too. I have been told that one place has not even had any orders delivered in forever as he said it!

4 Likes

@Philip46 Welcome to the community.:us: :us: :us:

1 Like

Hello and welcome @Philip46
Todd is correct, you have to hunt it down. I have been fortunate to buy powder direct from the manufacturer but primers are gone as soon as they hit the shelves

2 Likes

@Philip46 Welcome to the community! We are glad to have you!

2 Likes

You have to network !

Make friends with store employees and have them let you know what days their trucks come in or when stuff is put on the shelves.

Also network with fellow gun/reloading people. You might be looking for SPP’s and a friend is looking for LRP’s. One day you pick up what they’re looking for and they’ll return the favor etc.

5 Likes

Welcome @Philip46!

I get my stuff online since there is hardly any to be found locally by me. Powder is easier to get because there’s a lot of different ones you can use for pistol rounds. Primers are a challenge. When they do become available, they will end up costing you around $100/1k when you factor in shipping and hazmat fees. There’s a Discord group that sends notifications but you have to be able to jump on it right away. Primers have been available at Midway, Brownell’s, and Natchez but they are sold out within minutes. Good luck!

2 Likes

Thanks for having me!

4 Likes

That’s exactly why I’m here actually. I have friends that reload and I’ve been asking local vendors as well but thanks for the advice.

3 Likes

Check Midway USA. There are four Vihtavuori powders in stock right now that should work in a lot of handgun calibers.

N310 is probably the fastest powder currently produced among all the manufacturers. Too fast for a lot of applications but economical if you can use it. Several loads for 45 acp with it in the app. A few with 9mm. It’s also good for tiny cartridges. 380, 32s etc.

N330 and 3N37 will probably cover Most popular cartridges. Vihtavuori is not cheap, but probably some of the best gunpowder made.

3N38 is sort of a specialty powder. I think it was made for people trying to make “major” with 9mm before the rules were changed. If you want maximum velocity it’s amazing. There’s a 1200 FPS 9mm load with it with a 147 grain XTP bullet, which is about 20% faster than everything else!!! I Emailed and asked if that was a plus P load. They replied it’s not listed as plus P. Don’t try to make weak loads with it. They won’t cycle in short barrels and leaves unburned kernels in standard length barrels. It is good for powerful loads in 9mm, 38 Super, 40 Short & Weak etc.

There’s also the Vihtavuori “Tin Star” powder (maybe 32C?) Which is similar to IMR/Hodgdon trail boss used by cowboy action shooters currently in stock. I don’t have any experience with it.

The Vihtavuori app is free so you can download it and see what powder is best for your caliber of choice.

There’s also two or three powders (not Vihtavuori) that are good for magnum revolver cartridges and several that will work for rifle.

There always seems to be components for 50 BMG in stock, along with black powder substitutes.

Bullets - Rocky Mountain reloading!
They have 124 grain jacketed hollow points (not cheap plated) for around $109 per 1000 shipped. 115 grain Fmj and 124 fmj are slightly cheaper. They are made in the USA in Lewiston Idaho. They were the only company still taking back orders throughout the shortage. They also have other calibers but I don’t remember the prices offhand.
They also make a .224” 69 grain match bullet that is about half the cost of the big brand that comes in a green box.

Good luck and act fast!

5 Likes

Welcome to the site, The question is very open so I don’t know if I can help or not.
I know some places in Wheeling WV and Parkersburg WV have primers ($11 standard and $13 Mag) and powder but half again what it was last spring.
About the same prices at Fin, Feather and Fur in OH

3 Likes

Federal small pistol match in stock right now!

2 Likes

Federal small pistol and Federal small rifle primers are in stock at midway USA this morning.

1 Like

1 Like

Brownells has CCI SPP in stock as of 08/03 at 2:25 PM ET.
2 box limit to help offset hazmat & shipping.

2 Likes

Lots of HS-6 and H335 powders for 9mm and .223 reloading (plus others) at Rocky Mtn in Gillette, WY at near pre-panic prices.

3 Likes