Primers

Anyone know of a good source to obtain small and large pistol primers for reloading? I’ve scoured the internet and parts unknown with no luck.

1 Like

You and I both. I have even offered people deals if they find me some primers. I was told to go to various stores and find out when they are getting the deliveries and show up first thing in the morning and be the first one there and if they have it you will be the first one to get your limited number.

2 Likes

You might want to follow/ask in this thread:

People are sharing when/where they’re finding ammo - maybe some have seen primers?

2 Likes

Yeah it’s a real aggravating situation for sure.

1 Like

has slowed down my reloading time and shooting time for that matter… don’t want to burn up what i have… can only do so much dry firing before i get bored of it. even though i should do more of it anyways, i know! i do the same, every chance i get, hit the my usual gun shops for bullets and primers… same result, none.

5 Likes

I shared info about Discord on the Are You Finding Ammo thread. I was quick enough to get 1000 SRPs from Midway which I traded for SPPs the day after I received the package.

2 Likes

Exactly! Don’t want to use up what I have. This whole situation is maddening!

All primers at this point are going to the big ammo manufacturers. Its going to be a while till they are available to us lowly handloaders. From what I hear, some are starting to make it out, but what is coming out are large rifle/large pistol. That makes sense as those were the last to be sold out when this all started. Also, small pistol is 9mm and small rifle is .223. I was never not able to get cartridges such as .308, which is why I switched most of my rifle practice to .308 and 7.62x39, cause they take large rifle and ammo was always available. I also had a much bigger stock of large rifle and large pistol because I shoot a lot of .45 compared to 9mm. So, sit tight. I see ammo (9mm) getting available on a more regular basis, so things are getting better. Its just going to take some time to trickle down to primers.

1 Like

You just have to ask. I just picked up 1000 SPP (and my 2 other buddies each got 1000). They were keeping them behind the counter to prevent “issues”. I guess the people who mob Walmart the day after Thanksgiving are now after primers :-/

Another buddy just got 1000 LPP

I’ve also heard that some stores are limiting to 2 sleeves (200).

1 Like

Not in NW Indiana my friend :frowning:

2 Likes

Nope, this is Wyoming !

Network. Make friends with the employees and/or manager of your LGS so you get a heads up when stuff is coming in. When they know you by name you’re treated more like family.

1 Like

No primers anywhere here in ILL, only online auctions but I am not paying $500.00 for 1000 SPP

3 Likes

Gunbroker has both, but they are EXPENSIVE. I recently bought 200 CCI SPP for around $70 with $15 shipping. Most of the time you’re looking at $250-$350 for a 1000 round brick.

2 Likes

Agreed!!!

Yep. I’ve seen them for 198.00 & up noway NEVER!!

1 Like

Been 4 months with no luck on primers. Unless I would pay 10 times the cost. I have started a list of stores I won’t. Give 1 cent of my money. Same as robbery to me. I am on social security so I had to really watch cost

3 Likes

All I wanted to get is one small pack of 209 shotgun primers…no luck.

1 Like

i got 209 will trade for small pistol

1 Like

I think the internet is tapped. I have found that local shops carry primers but are shy to disclose on the phone or to first time customers. Make a relationship with your local store that has carried primers in the past and see what they can do. A little scratch my back I scratch yours with these guys goes a long way. I have found the smaller the store the more likely they will have supplies. I have found in San Diego primers easier to buy than ammo whereas other parts of the country I hear is the opposite. FYI Dillon Precision’s 9mm Dye sets are on back order for 6 months.

1 Like

Yeah I have an excellent relationship with the local gun stores but they are tapped out like everywhere else in line is, and yep the dyes, and powder everything is on backorder here as well too.