This is bad

We all know that ammo is next to impossible to find and so is reloading supplies. You can find brass typically, for the most part bullets in 9mm and .45 ACP and at least around me powder. BUT, primers on the other hand are a totally different story. I know, people will say “you should have stocked up before”, but when you’re on a fixed income that’s not always an option.

Now, with how much I train, I’ve had to cut back recently, because there is NO place around me that has small pistol primers. :sob::sob::sob::sob:

6 Likes

My understanding is that ammo mfrs are using all available primers in the attempt to catch up with the demand of loaded ammo. It will likely be a while before we see them on the shelf again. Only four US companies produce all of the primers for ALL of the ammo mfrs.

8 Likes

IIRC there are a few primer mfrs based in Europe.

7 Likes

But then we have to deal with import times and costs. Ammo mfrs also have contracts with the primer mfrs, and their performance specs are based on the use of a particular primer.

7 Likes

I recall import primers being sold here during the last ammo shortage, so maybe the importation/distribution supply lines are still in place---- but then, why aren’t they in stock here?

6 Likes

If I drop a primer on the floor when reloading now…I stop get on my hands and knees and find it. I remember when I accidentally dropped a handful of 22s while hunting squirrels with my dad. We stopped hunting found every single one, cleaned them off then went back to hunting. I learned back then to appreciate every single primer I have.

6 Likes

Think about this - PPU ammo for example. Seeing any on the shelf in greater quantities than USA made? They and other Euro ammo mfrs are in the same boat. The problem goes all the way up the chain when it comes to raw materials for supplies. Compound that problem with Covid keeping people away from work world-wide.
I would not be surprised to soon see your favorite calibers of bullets getting thin. Copper mines in South America are practically shut down. It’s a mess.

8 Likes

I just restarted reloading again this summer after 20+ years.

I thought SPP prices at gunbroker were high at $100/1000 2-3 months ago. Some are going for $200+ today.

I checked new Buy-It-Now listings everyday and used advanced search for local listings. I contacted the local sellers to let them know I was using for my own reloading and see if I could pick up and save on shipping. I included my email on the communication. A couple actually contacted me back to meet in person for the cash sale. I was able to pick up enough primers at $60 & $75 / 1000 to keep me reloading for the near future. I know that reloading experts who have stock consider this a lot of money, but it’s still a lot cheaper than paying $0.60+/round of FMJ 9mm.

Going to make sure moving forward that I keep enough stock for at least a year’s worth of reloading supplies when prices eventually come back down. Even on a budget, I figure I can buy components a little at time every other paycheck or so.

4 Likes

Does anyone think the shortages will continue after the election? I’m kinda hoping availability will improve but I am sure the lockdowns aren’t helping the situation

4 Likes

I’m sorry, Brian but I know what you’re talkin about being on a fixed income. My Hubby & I justfollowed buy some every once in a while.we already have very much. I’m young I only had to retire bc of an accident I was in.

5 Likes

When I go to the range to train, I buy their ammo and use it but, not all of it.

6 Likes

Sorry to hear about you having that accident, wil you be able to go back to work eventually? I pray that one day I can, but for now I do simple little projects to take up my time like .45ACP brass crucifixes or wood burning things like burning stuff around the outside of wooden picture frames.

4 Likes

The range I go to is my back yard, so I can’t buy… well I guess I am buying their ammo… lol

5 Likes

Just my thoughts; it’s not going to matter, whoever wins shtf.

6 Likes