Reloading Class or Instruction in the DFW area?

I want to start reloading. I have the ABC’s book, but don’t feel comfortable learning this skill (which is dangerous if not done correctly) strictly from a book.
I have done numerous online searches to no avail. Got a list from the NRA of certified cartridge reloading instructors, either the number was disconnected or no call back. Contacted many of the ranges, all dead-ends.
I live in Fort Worth, TX.
Anyone know of a shop or person who does reloading classes or instruction in the area?

Thank you

5 Likes

@Craig158 Welcome to the community, and hopefully you’ll get answers. There are some folks here that have the information you’re looking for and I’m sure someone will chime in.

3 Likes

Welcome, reloading is not hard if you follow the instructions, I started when I was 15. Again just follow the instructions and you will be fine. And I did it on my own nobody showed me.

4 Likes

I have been reloading for a number of years, as I am sure there are probably several others in here as well that do. Feel free to ask any questions you may have. Unfortunately, I am nowhere near DFW or Texas in general, so I can’t help you with classes or the like. Just be meticulous and check your powder charges and youll be fine.

4 Likes

Try contacting the major reloading equipment companies - web pages, customer service, help line, whatever - they may have links, networks, blogs, etc. Also YouTube and Google/Safari searches (as simple as "reloading training or instruction near me). Search also for instruction vids you can purchase. Check your local gun stores and ranges.

1 Like

What are you looking to reload? Do you have a press?

I have a Dillon 550 and a X-750 reloaders and I reload 9mm, 45 acp and 5.56. I have reloaded 30-30 too! I also do 12 gauge reloading.

I do not live in Texas, nor do I know any reloaders in Texas, but I am sure they are there!

2 Likes

I live in Fort Worth as well and have just started looking for equipment and learning to reload.
You’re a couple of steps ahead of me!
I’m looking for .380, 9mm and shotgun. at this time. Although a friend is trying to get me back into .40 and into 10mm.

3 Likes

As to presses I have a RCBS rock chucker that I bought in 80, a Lyman turret that I bought in 85, and Mecs for shotgun, the 600 I got in 75 and the 650 I got in 77, plus a case conditioner. I started on a Lee hand loader for .222 that I got in 75, and I don’t recommend Lee loaders, RCBS or Lyman are the way to go unless you have lots of money. If you are only reloading only pistol or small rifle such as .222 or .223 a turret is the way to go, if you are loading large rifle you need something like a Rockchucker, but a rockchucker can also reload pistol rounds, just a little slower than a turret. I loaded many thousands of rounds of pistol on my rockchucker before I bought the Lyman turret. The RCBS book is what I learned most of my info on how to reload from.

4 Likes

Welcome @Craig158!

Reloading is not that difficult or dangerous if you are organized and follow the instructions. Use manufacturer recommended loads and never use loads you get from other people unless you can corroborate with established sources. Start on the low end of the powder range and work your way up. i found that having a proper scale, calipers, and chronometer really helps. Don’t skimp on those.

You should look for groups on Facebook related to the press that you own. You can usually find someone local who will be willing to walk you through the basics.

4 Likes

I have a RCBS rock chucker I use for the bolt gun rounds and a Dillon 650xl for bulk 9 and 223. I need to order another powder dropper and setup my .45 acp plate. Been waiting for Dillon to release new batches of 10mm dies for over 2 years. “Carbide supply issues”… thanks covid :expressionless:

2 Likes

Hi there!! Welcome to the community! I have absolutely no idea what you’re talking about (yet) but I’ve had the pleasure of speaking with some of the masters here that have patience and kindness!!

Good luck!

Cindy

6 Likes

Before I changed my lifestyle I used a Hornady single stage, reloaded 9, 45, 45BM, .224 Valkyrie, .223/5.56, and 6.5CM.
It is not difficult to learn, just need to pay attention to each step.

Then comes the fun part.

7 Likes

@Craig158 and @Chris278,
Looks like all three of us are in the same boat. Any luck finding a class local for metalic case reloading? I’ve looked at the NRA site as well and only classes are a days ride away.

Cheers!
Craig P.

Great to hear from another local USCCA member!
No, I’ve just asked my local LTC class instructors if they knew anyone who gave a class anf he said no.
However, he followed up by calling me and told me: “There’s never been a class offered in reloading that he’s been able to find. He is intrigued with idea and is going to talk to DPS Austin training to try to work on INSURANCE COVERAGE, teaching standards, etc and see if he cannot get a class started.”
Right now, it’s find someone who reloads pistols, rifles or shotguns and learn as you can.
Everybody is scared because if something happens they might get sued.
I’ll keep your address and let you know as soon as I hear something more.

1 Like

I have taught several people how to reload. With care and good reading comprehension, anyone can learn from reloading manuals. It’s easier if you know an experienced reloader so he can demonstrate proper procedure with proper attention to safety. Strangely, offers to teach trusted people to reload has not generated much interest and attempts to sell a full basic reloading set up has not had any bites. The reason given is ammo prices are reasonable right now. During times of ammo drought, many people were crying about the dearth of available ammo and the price thereof. I, on the other hand, had no difficulty keeping up my supply by opportunistic purchases of components at those times that the prices were higher than before but acceptable.
I even have an old 2 VHS tape on High Power rifle reloading featuring G. David Tubb and a VHS machine that still works so I can watch it.

Reloading is a skill that will, at some point, come in handy. Especially in these chaotic times we live in.

1 Like

May I ask how may we communicate about learning how to reload, how much I should expect to pay for a “beginners” kit?
Would you be available to meet if you are anywhere near south central Fort Worth? I’m about s mile west of JPS hospital if you know where that is…

1 Like

Personally, I am having a tough time locating any of the top 10 .380 self defense ammo. I’ve tried 4 local ranges, 5 gun stores and one Academy store.
All have ball but, no quality self defense rounds. Of course part of it is I do not like buying on the internet for various reasons.
And I’ve just started shooting again after a little over 20 years.
My third time was my LTC requirement just recently which I passed.

1 Like

Since my last post, I was able to find an individual that is an NRA Reloading Instructor/Counselor, in Highland Park, TX. I’ve reached out to him to see if he is planning a course in the near future. I’ll be sure to post if his answer is yes.

2 Likes

@William_C5 Unfortunately I have not found anyone yet.

1 Like

Yes please do. I am still very interested.

2 Likes