Reloading Class or Instruction in the DFW area?

He is in a very nice part of Dallas.
Thank you and please do let me know.

1 Like

@Chris278 and @craig158, I’ll let you know when Scott replies to my text. I also need to correct his location, he’s in Highland Village, TX. NOT Highland Park.

So he’s just north of Lewisville, south side of Lake Lewisville bridge. Unless it has changed in the last twenty years, a nice place to live.

1 Like

Midway USA. com is a good place to see examples of decent starter kits. They’re a lot pricier today than they were e=when I got into it. The Rock Chucker Supreme Single stage kit is a good place to start since you will handle each case multiple times, minimizing the chances of making errors. Adding a powder measure stand allows you to mount the powder measure in a more convienient location than the top of the press. Lyman makes good dry tumblers to clean brass cases and should be added as well. After that, a set of dies in your desired caliber puts you in business. It appears that the Speer reloading manual is included in the kit but I would add the Hornady manual as well to ascertain if the load you have chosen is close to equal given the amount and type of powder used and the bullet weight chosen. Before buying anything, you might want to get the Hornady Reloading Manual and see if you really want to make this investment. All manuals are decent but the Hornady is comprehensive. check on the availability of components. Primers both large and small (.380 takes small pistol primers). Powder and projectile availabilty. As far as brass goes, if you have a way to clean them, don’t overlook “once fired” cases. There are several companies offering this You’ll be wanting to invest in a dial or digital caliper to check case lengths and Cartridge over all lengths. (C.O.A.L).
I’m located in the northeast so I’m not close enough for face to face instruction with you. Good luck.

3 Likes

Richard56,
Thank you for responding especially with the info you provided.
I will start checking book availability specifically the Hornady edition.
You’ve given me a great start. Again, thank you.

If you decide to go for it, you might want to check out the Rebel 17 tumbler at stainlesstumblingmedia.com. It’s a wet system that makes once fired brass “brand new” using a small amount of Lemishine and a tablespoon of Dawn dish soap . it’s much better than any dry system and would eliminate the need for the dry system. I have one and it’s my preferred method of shining my brass. If you get this system, I would recommend buying a bag of media and a couple of drive belts, just in case. A couple of places for “once-fired” brass is Diamondkbrass.com and evergladesammo.com, which also has bulk bullets. I don’t know if the .com info is allowed on this forum. If not, the moderators can take it down.
Reloading is not scary if attention is paid to safety. The initial outlay of cash is daunting, I admit, but it’s kind of satisfying to load your own and see how closeyou can come to the big bucks SD ammo. Also, I had a lot of fun shooting as much as I wanted when everyone was crying in their beer over the scarcity of ammo.

3 Likes

I started on my own and just read the manuals, they are comprehensive and just follow them and you will be fine. One thing I have noticed is the charges have dropped in newer manuals because the manufacturers are afraid of getting sued. As for starter kits you can’t go wrong with a Rock Chucker it will load anything from .32 up to magnum rifle rounds. If you are only loading pistol rounds I swear by the Lyman turret it can handle all pistol rounds and some smaller rifle rounds, like 5.56. Don’t be intimidated by reloading, if you follow the books you won’t go wrong.

1 Like

I can second a vouch for evergladesammo.com, i have ordered a fair bit of 9mm and 223 projectiles and brass from them over the last 2 or 3 years

I have as well. The free shipping doesn’t hurt my feelings, either. Some of my orders were quite hefty.

1 Like

Quality .380 self defense ammo is hard to come by especially locally. The best I have found is Federal Hydra Shok Deep but I have never seen it locally. Sometimes I see ammo loaded with Hornady XTP bullets which often don’t expand reliably but do meet FBI standards for penetration. That used to be my go to ammo before I found the Federal Deep load.

Here is some available on line for about the lowest price I see them selling for nowadays:

1 Like

Thank all of you for your input. I’ve learned a great deal from all of you.
Thanks again,
Chris278

2 Likes

Also, I will add, stay away from Lee reloading gear, that is the only manufacturer that I have had problems with.

RAYMOND45 THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE SIR LOVE Bobby jean and Debbie ann sir here’s a root beer SIR :beer::us::us::us:

@Craig158 and @Chris278 ,
FYI I followed up via text today with Scott (NTX Firearms), indicating that we’re interested in a metallic reloading class, and ask if he would let me know about having one.

Chris, also noticed you were looking for .380 defense ammo…check out SGAmmo . com, they have good prices and quick delivery with no hazmat fees.

Cheers!
CP

2 Likes

William_c5,
I appreciate the info. Thank you!

@Craig158 and @Chris278,
Got a response from Scott, “…do not have all of my equipment right now, so I’m sorry but I can’t do the class right now.”

Looks like we’re SOL for now.

VR,
CP

2 Likes

Thank you for keeping on! I appreciate all you’ve done for us. Thank you especially for your anno recommendation.

1 Like