Recommendations for a red dot for an AR-15

I have a Bushnell TRS 25 3 moa red dot. They claim battery life is 15,000 hours, but I’ve had it in my bedroom since July with the dot on its lowest setting and the dot is almost impossible to see, even with it at its highest setting.

I got spare batteries coming in, but what do you guys run?

1 Like

Trijicon RMR
Holosun

In my mind based on my research and experience, those are the two choices if you want reliable and durable.

I have multiples.

RMR is made in USA and has a more durable (patented/protected) shape. Also the automatic version has better auto adjustment IME.

Holosun has better battery life, little better price, and side loadable battery so you don’t have to remove the optic just to change the darn battery. Also circle-dot option (or dot only or circle only)

7 Likes

Have you been shooting it? the lens may just be dirty. Q-tip and alcohol. I’ve had my red dots for years without any degredation.

4 Likes

I turn it off and turn it on, and the Dot goes bright to dim fairly quickly

1 Like

Trijicon on all of my firearms that I put a red dot. On a couple of rifles I also use the 4x magnifying with an Acog that goes with the red dot.

3 Likes

Holosun HS507C X2 and 507C ACSS

5 Likes

On the lower cost side of the spectrum, I run the Sig Romeo 5 on two of my rifles. I have the Sig Romeo 1 Pro on my P320-M17. I like them all and have had no issues with any of them.

They seem to be quite good, especially for the money. They have the shake awake function to extend battery life. My first Romeo 5 is 4 years old and still running on it’s first battery.

5 Likes

Time for a new battery…

5 Likes

For a rifle, revolver, or a semi-autopistol?
For a range gun or self/home defense pistol or rifle?
You can work with a less sturdy RDS on a rifle or revolver, since it does not have to survive all that slide slamming.
For a range pistol, you can be oK with a less costly, less sturdy RDS.
For a HD/SD pistol you want high reliability, high sturdy RDS. The recommendations I have seen from folks that know a lot more than me on the subject is to stick with Trijicon or Holosun. (Yes, the RDS may well cost more than the pistol.)
For my EDC I have a Holosun.
On my training/practice pistol (same model as EDC) I have a top of the line Bushnell RDS 250.
On both my 10/22 and M&P-15 I have that same Bushnell TRS-25 and they work great.

For anything other than the gun you plan to use to save your life, you can run numbers on RDS cost versus how many batteries you can buy for the difference between an RMR and anything else.

Good luck.

4 Likes

Agreed. It is not on my primary carbine. I wanted to see how long it would run. I have been pleasantly suprised.

I think I will go change it though. Lol. Thanks.

2 Likes

Sorry AR-15.

2 Likes

I have/have used: Vortex viper, Bushnell trs-26, trijicon rmr. The viper battery lasts a good while, but the adjustment set screws are in the back :-1:. The trs-26 is pretty good so far. Had it on a medium setting since early July, and it’s still trucking along, holds zero well. Nothing bad to say about the rmr.

2 Likes

Romeo 1 pro thay has less than 300 rds cracked today

3 Likes

1 Like

Warranty?

1 Like

Ill be calling Monday its only around a month old, never holstered yet and only been in a padded rug. I had high hopes, i loved that glass clarity.

3 Likes

Did a brass eject into the glass?
Sig optic on Sig pistol, I would hope they will take care of that.

2 Likes

On my FN 509 Tactical I use a Holosun 507C ACSS. Very sturdy, good battery life, has solar help, and easily adjustable. Also the battery can be replaced without removing the sight, a big plus.

On my Hellcat Pro I was using a Springfield Wasp. Nice sight and had no problems with the sight itself. The mounting screws kept coming loose so I finally got tired of that and removed it. Was very accurate before the mounting problems started.

2 Likes

I’ve had no problems with this one. Good battery life, easy to adjust. AND the most important part, R can put 25/30 on an 8 1/2X11 sheet of paper at 150 yds with it. Happy wife Happy Life.

6 Likes

Sig has this feature, on their latest line of red dots at least, they call MOTAC — motion activated. The sight automatically powers down when it’s left motionless, and wakes up again when moved.

I’m running their Romeo 1 Pro on a couple of my pistols.

But yeah, I’d change it after 4 years anyway.

5 Likes