Optics for AR15...Sig vs. Hlosun

I know everyone is going to be all over tge place on this…

I have an AR that I use for the range and home defense. Just went shooting with my buddy yesterday. He zeroed both my rifle and his with iron sights. We both have Magpul flip up sights.

He then mounted a Holosun red dot (510C?) & 3x magnifier. Dang that was sweet to shoot.

I am looking to do a similar setup on mine. I am thinking primarly range and home defense so probably 50 to 100 yards max.

Thoughts on Sig MSR & Juliet bundle vs. Holosun? I like the reticle on the Holosun as it seemed to allow me to instantly acquire the target.

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.

3 Likes

I personally like the Sig Romeo 5 works great and has instant on when you pick up the rifle

7 Likes

Thanks. I will research that as well.

1 Like

Last I looked into it, the Sig dots were made in China and educated guesses indicate they might well be made by Holosun, or right alongside Holosun.

Pick one (or upcharge to Aimpoint) and go with it. Put the magnifier on for shooting groups at the range or whatever, take it off and just have the dot for home defense.

3 Likes

Thanks for the tip.

1 Like

I have the Romeo5 and Juliet4 and really like the combination. I also run a set of 45 degrees offset iron sights for backup.

3 Likes

Hmmm…I haven’t thought about off setting the irons like that. I will check it out. Thanks.

1 Like

Love my Holosun.

2 Likes

It gets expensive to do with higher end stuff, but, look into an Arisaka 35*/45* offset mount with a micro red dot like an RMR or a Holosun 507/508.

2 Likes

We were running his with the reticle vs just the dot. Dang target acquisition was super fast like that.

I hae no experience with yhe red dots but I know plenty of people run Holosun.

2 Likes

Thanks. I was going to search options for 45 degree mounts.

1 Like

The Sig Romeo5 is nice (not sure if that is the sae as the MSR?) as a budget but dependable red dot. If you don’t mind paying a little extra I think the Holosun is worth it for additional reticle and color options. Primary Arms and Swampfox make good budget options worth checking out as well.

Holosun is made in China, Sig makes some of their optics in China and I think their budget red dots all are.

I agree with @Nathan57 if you put a magnifier on it, get a good quick detach that keeps zero and put it on only when you need it (like the range) and leave off for HD. That will keep the weight/bulk down during expected usage.

4 Likes

Thanks.

It looks like the MSR and 5 are pretty close. MSR has 2 night modes for brightness that are supposed to help in low light. The 5 has 50,000 hours of battery life.

Have not researched beyond that yet.

Sig has a ton of optics so need to dig in some.

1 Like

So the Romeo 5 has motion sensing and depending on model has a reticle as well as a dot.

2 Likes

I have a Romeo 5 and a Holosun 507c GR-X2.

They both work well but I prefer the smaller size and green circle dot reticle of the Holosun. Though it cost over 2.5 times as much as what I paid for my Romeo 5.

Both have the instant on battery saving feature. And both work well for me out to 100 yards. But I have astigmatism so the dots turn into stars for me making precision shots at longer ranges more difficult. I’m considering giving this a try when I can afford to pick up a new optic:

2 Likes

Thanks.

I have astigmatism as well. I think that might be why I like the reticle he had.

3 Likes

If you haven’t yet, try witnessing the red dot with backup iron sights, and when you require more precision and less astigmatism starburst effect, flip up the rear sight (smaller aperture selected). Looking at the dot through the rear aperture noticeably reduces the astigmatism starburst (because physics stuff)

5 Likes

See…this is why I wanted to ask here. Everyone is so willing to share.

I will definitely try that.

3 Likes

Thanks for the tip. I understand the physics and do have cowitnessed sights but hadn’t thought of trying that to clean up the dot for longer precision . Unfortunately the backups on my primary home defense rifle only have one aperture size and it might not be small enough to help but will give it a try.

3 Likes

Not sure what the dot color was on the Holoson you tried but I find the green dot to flare a little less for me. Think this is primarily because the green is a little easier for me to pick up in daylight conditions so I can use a lower power setting. The lower I turn down the Romeo the less it flares but the harder it is to find the dot in brighter conditions. The large circle option on the Holoson is also really quick to pick up for close up shots and helps guide me to the small center dot.

3 Likes