My love/hate relation with red-dots

It’s been two full years since I converted the majority of my pistols to red-dot sights. This is what I’ve learned:

1. They are as accurate as all Hell once you learn how to use them.
  2. They are fast as Hell once you learn how to use them.
  3. They need to be kept clean.
  4. The mounting screws, battery plate screws, and any other screws need Loctite. Otherwise they’ll come loose and cause problems.
  5. They are a precision optic and although they are said to withstand thousands of pounds of pressure - they can and do crack. Mine did.
  6. Holosun has good customer service.
12 Likes

I purchased a Shadow Systems XR920 with a Holosun 507C x2 red dot sight. I did quite a bit of training and then put it away for the winter. When spring came and I went to the range, the first time I tried it there was no red dot. Total fail and I replaced the battery. Still no red dot.

I sent it to Holosun and got a replacement in about 2 months. The did not explain what the problem was and just sent me a new one. I also have a 507K on my new P365 X Macro.

Both sights are working fine now, but it just goes to show you that anything can happen at any time. Both guns co-witness for backup.

6 Likes

My thougths:

• They are as accurate as all Hell once you learn how to use them.

:ok_hand:

• They are fast as Hell once you learn how to use them.

:pinched_fingers:

• They need to be kept clean.

:point_up:

• The mounting screws, battery plate screws, and any other screws need Loctite. Otherwise they’ll come loose and cause problems.

I’m using VC-3 ThreadMate. When used Loctite, screws came off after few weeks (I shoot A LOT). Blue didn’t work well, Red was better but screws went loose after some time. The most important is to use exact torque amount recommended by manufacturer.

• They are a precision optic and although they are said to withstand thousands of pounds of pressure - they can and do crack. Mine did.

:call_me_hand:
Once I’ve started using Trijicon RMR I’m now worrying about cracks anymore.

• Holosun has good customer service.

Problems starts when you bought used Holosun optics and don’t have original receipt… :triumph:

Final verdict:
Who the hell is still using iron sights? :joy: :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
I’m kidding of course.
But in my case there is no coming back. I’m still using iron sights in firearms that may look awkward with optic or don’t have optic cut.

6 Likes

I considered the Trijicon RMR but the price was too steep for me, since I wanted four of my pistols to be so equipped. Thanks for the tip on VC-3 ThreadMate. I’ll check it out. Also the torque values is something I never really paid attention to. But I will now. TBH one of the main reasons I like Holosun’s is the circle reticle. For me it’s a no-brainer when I shoot. Whatever is in that circle is a hit.

Regarding Holosun. I haven’t had any real problems with their customer service. My cracked lens was replaced with a new unit in about a week. But then all my red-dots have a bona-fide receipt and they’ve all been registered proper.

3 Likes

I liked Holosun… till the moment I tested RMR and found that the dot in RMR was perfectly clear and sharp. :ok_hand: I have never found such clear dot in Holosun.
I was lucky because the same time I decided to move from Holsun to RMR, Trijicon got some discounts and I spent lees than $100 extra. Additionally I sold my Holsun, so actually this transition cost me same price as one training session with 250 - 300 rounds of 9mm :pinching_hand:

Trijicon came with RMR HD model… so I’m hoping RMR price will drop soon…

3 Likes

:grin:

2 Likes

:ok_woman: :man_bowing: :woman_facepalming:

It’s too expensive for my Nerf Elite 2.0 Echo Blaster.

4 Likes

Red dot on your concealed carry piece?

asking for a friend from behind the West Coast Iron Curtain.

1 Like

They are banned on your side of the fence just like plastic straws and coffee. :wink::grinning:

3 Likes

I like the red and green dots for competition and speed, but still only use my sights for concealed carry. Less bulk and less chance of printing especially if you are larger person.

3 Likes

Hello and welcome @John1487

Of course

Red dot and irons both. You want reliability, have a built in backup. Best of everything. Speed, precision, accuracy, reliability, redundancy

5 Likes

I think you have covered all the bases. I have several pistols, but none have red dots - or lasers, or lights for that matter. I don’t shoot for target score, just practice and familiarization, and my LE days are long past. So they’re just for EDC and home defense. Good eyesight and living in a suburban townhome pretty much completes the requirements for the usual 7-10 yard (max) encounter; red dots and other enhancements just don’t add much to that except weight. But target shooting or hunting with that sidearm would defintely make having a red dot a big plus. And if I was still clearing buildings and houses, I would have the other gear mounted as well!:slightly_smiling_face:

I suspect that if you gave a quality red dot a chance you would find it improves both speed and accuracy/precision at 7-10 yards max. Because they do that.

The trick is you won’t know unless you quantify, measure, record, and compare. :wink:

1 Like

Well, like I said, Nathan, it’s not about competition. I did fine, day and night, for over two decades with just basic hardware and guns with which I’m comfortable. The new sights, lasers, and gun-mounted lights are fine…it’s just that I’m OK with what got me this far. Now, my long guns, they have optics - that’s a whole nother ballgame!:smile:

1 Like

I know it’s not about competition, but for concealed carry/self defense…time and accuracy/precision matter even more than they do for competition (higher stakes). Measuring performance is absolutely relevant to defensive use, or duty use. I’ll reckon that you had to put rounds downrange on set courses of fire that measured time and scored hits while protecting and serving, yes? That’s not a competition thing, right?

If what you use works, outstanding, do it.

Just…if you were to measure, and give the dot a shot, I think you’d find that it’s faster and more accurate/precise. Kind of for the same reasons as with the rifle. :wink:

I mostly agree Robert. I live rural and I would dare say that any encounter would probably not exceed 10 yards (except for the curious coyotes that come in our area.) Also, red-dots require attention. You need to clean them off and check the mountings. I do on a weekly basis and have never had serious issues - that is they always stay lit. The one thing I will say is that my red-dots have given my 60+ yr old eyes confidence in a given situation. I use Holosun’s circle reticle and that thing is as clear as day even at night. I know from constant practice that whatever is in that circle is a hit and the speed at which I can see that circle and pull the trigger makes it gold.

3 Likes

Indeed. I am 57 and have learned to appreciate the red or green dot. Preferably green. Once I learned to pick up the dot visually, I eventually got faster and more accurate. I have a Holosun green circle dot on my FPC. That sight is amazing!

5 Likes

Yep, My old Gen 3 Glock 19 doesn’t have an optics cut and I don’t want to send it out. It shoots just fine. On the other hand, I installed a Holosun on my new Sig 365 X Macro Comp and it’s really nice. At age 79, I need the help.

5 Likes

@Max19 Welcome to our community, we are glad to have you with us. :slightly_smiling_face:
I apologize for so many, being so remiss, in welcoming you. :man_facepalming:

3 Likes