Optics for AR15...Sig vs. Hlosun

Both would be great options. In my personal opinion, if you tried the Holosun with a magnifier and were able to acquire the sight quickly, go with what you know works.

Regardless of what you go with, training often will be the most important part of what you do.

6 Likes

I had the Holosun 503C recommended to me at a gun shop I trust, and one reason was that if you have any kind of astigmatism the owners experience was that they were better for such eyes than some other options. I found the Holosun to be feature packed with just the things you would want, and I got a chance to shoot with one, it was pretty impressive. The drawback to them were primarily two things, One, as with many varieties of red dot, the sight backward illuminates, meaning others can see the light from the target side of the optic, ( a true holographic like an Eotech does not project any light in the direction of the target) and two, that durability / rough weather and treatment may not be as strong as more expensive options.

For the money, for a very usable optic that will not need to meet the demands of extended combat ruggedness, they were about the best option out there that I could find without stepping up hundreds in cost.

Good luck, I hope we get to hear what you choose and why.

4 Likes

Been using the Romeo 5 for a while. Has been dependable and has kept its zero. The aimpoint compatibility also gives a wide variety of mounting options so you can get your preferred co-witness on various firearms.

4 Likes

It was a red dot. And I used the large circle to find the dot like you. Man that is fast and easy.

3 Likes

100% agree training is key. My rifle skills severely lag my pistol skills.

Means I have to visit the range more.

2 Likes

Thanks. I will let you all know. I want to shoot my buddies setup again but we won’t be able to get to the range for a while.

Good to know. Thank you.

Buy nice, cry once.

Mybfirst optic was a Holosun and it was nice. For me what it boils down to is if I really need my gun, I want it to run withxme being the only point of failure. If home defense, spring for an Aimpoint, Trijicon, or Eotech.

2 Likes

You know, that makes a lot of sense and is why I EDC the pistol I do.

I will check those out.

I have a trijicom set up with a 3x flip to side magnifier.

1 Like

I slapped a SIG Romeo 7 on my AR556. It added 12 oz to the rifle but its built like a tank.

1 Like

I haven’t researched those yet. Initially I was thinking mainly budget vs. betting my life on it. I will have to check those out.

To be honest, I am new to optics and dang it can be confusing. I saw the 7 but don’t know anything about it.

1 Like

I am running three Romeo 5s at the moment. I have not had a moments issue with them. For the money, I think they offer a lot. They hold zero perfectly and have never even flickered.

On my wife’s Ruger Charger, I set her up with a Holosun green dot (I forget the model). It is so much easier to see that green dot, especially in daylight. The Holosun seems to be as tough and reliable as my Sigs.

Both have the shake-awake feature and the batteries are two years plus in service. I don’t think a person could go wrong with either brand. I do like that green dot though.

3 Likes

Thanks. Great to know you have both.

1 Like

I should have asked. Are you running the base 5s or the X XDR versions.

I have one XDR and two of the base models. The XDR was my first.

1 Like

You mean the Romeo 5 base model or MSR?

I have a Meprolight on my home defense rifle so I don’t have to worry about batteries. It’s fiber-optic/tritium. I have a magnifier behind it in case I have to take it outside, but I’d like to get an outside AR, probably with an ACOG. LPVOs seem like something I’d have trouble dialing in quick enough during combat.

I like Holosun’s reticle for my pistol, but for some reason, when I think about it being on my rifle, I dislike the idea.

1 Like

Well, all of my AR-15’s have been swapped out for the Trijicom site so I guess that means I do trust my life in that. So far, so good!

1 Like