Optics for AR15...Sig vs. Hlosun

Thanks.

LOL. I have lots of homework to do.

Start with budget then upgrade or wait and get better optic later on.

The Romeo 5. I have two of them on ARs and one on my shotgun.

Thank you.

1 Like

Youtube reviewers gave the SIG high marks. Its a Aimpoint Clone. Aimpoints can go for 800 while mine was 230 with Shipping and handling. Both were solid red dots.

1 Like

Do you run with a magnifier?

@Martin36 and anyone else who is interested. There is a sale on refurbished Sig red dots and other optics in the Sig website going on right now. Looks like some significant savings over new if you want to give them a try.

4 Likes

No. Since this is a Self Defense weapon no need to magnify it. Now if good thermals became affordable then…

1 Like

Thanks for sharing. I saw the email from Sig right before I saw this. I am getting a refurbed XDR. Now all I have to do is wait for it to come in.

I will update here once I get it and my thoughts on it.

3 Likes

Thanks. Mine will be primarily for that as well. Just thought might be good for home perimeter defense. I realize that may never be needed.

1 Like

Garand Thumb on Youtube says Thermals is the future and if flannel daddy says so it must be true. Now, if only I had his money and contacts to get a good one on discount. But Thermals do look very interesting and maybe the price of decent ones will drop.

It’s hard to go against flannel daddy

1 Like

Alot of people seem to be stuck on the sights you have mentioned. But for me I really like the Trijicom line I have several sets with the red dot and the magnifier on them. I really like them and you can turn the red dot up high enough and get an Acog like sight from it.

3 Likes

Thanks.

I went with a Sig Romeo 5 XDR since I plan to mainly use for home defense.

I know the Military mainly uses EOTECH and Aimpoint but I picked mine up for 143 out the door.

3 Likes

Recently got a Sig Romeo 5. Really like it quite a bit. First site that i have had that I naturally was able to keep both eyes open without effort. I feel that is more the positioning on the rail though than the site itself. My favorite site though for an AR15 is my Bushnell Tactical 2x MP.

3 Likes

My Sig Romeo 5 XDR came in and it is mounted. Now I just have to get to the range and zero it in.

4 Likes

I haven’t went to the range yet, but I can keep both eyes open when using it. I really like the large reticle circle around the dot.

3 Likes

At 50 to 100 yds distance the 3X magnifier is probably more of a hindrance than an asset as acquiring your target would probably be slower than just the plain red dot. The SIG MSR red dot sight (RDS) is a good sight for sports and range practice, but not for self defense/home defense as it requires that you turn it on manually. Battery life is going to be a problem eventually. It does not have the MOTAC (Motion Activated) trigger to turn on when moved (shake awake). For that reason I would look for either the Romeo 5 or almost any Holosun.

I have both a Romeo 5 and the Holosun 403B, and they are nearly identical in functionality. They pretty much could have come from the same factory.

One advantage that Holosun has is that they have a ton of different models and their multi-reticle sights have a lot of capabilities. If you can get the ones with the 2 moa dot + 65moa circle that sighting reticle is outstanding (HS 503’s). Very fast to acquire targets with this reticle.

If you are like me and want good quality at an inexpensive price, the Romeo5 is hard to beat. If you prefer a green dot rather than a red dot, Holosun will have a lot more variety.

Swampfox and Vortex also make some very good quality RDS.

For self defense make sure the sight has a “shake awake” capability or you might find yourself in a bind when you most need the sight.

2 Likes

Thanks for the detailed response.

I picked up a refurbished Sig Roneo 5 XDR. I have it mounted but haven’t been to the range yet to zero in.

I really like the dot and reticle combo option. I have practiced target acquisition at home with it. I am much faster with the dot &circle vs dot alone.

Hoping to hit the range tomorrow with it.

2 Likes

So I took my son to the range yesterday (Saturday) for 2-3 hours and today (Sunday) for another hour or 2.

I forgot the red dot adjustment key/tool on Satureday so wound up shooting irons most of the day. I let him shoot it configured as a 22. I got some work in with my EDC while he was shooting.

Went back today with the red dot adjustment key and zeroed in the red dot.

All total between the 22 ammo and the 223 ammo we put between 500-600 rounds down range. I put another 100 9mm through my edc.

The Romeo 5 XDR worked perfect once I zeroed it in. It is super easy to mount and use. For precision shooting we shot with the dot only. For closer in shots I used it with the reticle which allowed me to quickly get on target while keeping both eyes open. I am not an optics aficionado but this does everything I needed.

The only 2 things I thinkmost people experienced with red dots might complain about:

1. Needing either the tool that came with it or a flat head screwdriver to adjust windage and elevation. That does bother me since I am not hunting with it. When I go to the outdoor range again I will 0 at 50 yards to allow longer shots.

2. It doesn’t have flip up lens caps. It has rubber ones that need to be taken off before use. I don’t mind this since I take them off as soon as it is out of the case.

Hope that helps someone.

5 Likes