Compact / Micro Red Dot pistols…Any thoughts?

I currently have two guns that are in my EDC rotation: a Ruger EC9S, and a S&W M&P9 2.0 Compact. I like both pistols, but each has its pros/cons. I am looking for something “in the middle” regarding size, capacity, and features. I would prefer a gun with a thumb safety, and would also would like to get a pistol that is optics ready. My main issue with the EC9S are the sights, so I would like something with 3 dot sights.
I’ve rented the Shield Plus, G43, and Hellcat. I preferred the Shield Plus, to the others, but not enough to replace the EC9S. I still need to try out the P365XL. I also want to try out the Taurus G3C, but no gun ranges in my area rent these.
The G3C has glowing reviews online (and has some good sales / rebates currently), but would like to get any feedback from actual users before buying one. Thanks!

2 Likes

I also added this thread because I would like to purchase the G3C as a lower cost entry option for a red dot pistol, and would like to get some feedback. Thanks!

1 Like

In my limited experience a dot took significantly longer to find vs acquiring a proper sight picture with iron sights on a handgun. But I was able to hit smaller targets at longer distances with the dot. Also the dot was impossible to see against some colors in sunny conditions. I wound up having to find the dot on the ground or something else and then moving the firearm to the target after finding the dot. I guess most people are avid indoorsmen now, so they are seldom used in sunlight and sell well.

2 Likes

https://www.novaksights.com/

Novak sights are excellent in my opinion. Too bad you can’t rent a set of them. How far from Tennessee are you?

1 Like

My suggestion is don’t buy until you try the 365XL. Why, you ask? I’ve had one for 2-3 years and it is a dream to carry, has been very reliable, has an excellent trigger by striker-fired gun standards, is accurate, has 15 round mags available, has very good night sights, and comes optics ready. If you use a quality red-dot sight, the dot it will be easy to see under any lighting conditions, and, with practice, the dot is about as easy to “pick up” as iron sights during presentation.

2 Likes

What dot were you using and what setting was it on?

1 Like

I started with a Romeo Zero with a 4 moa dot. I selected it for the shake to wake feature, which works well.
Next I got a Shield something with a 1 moa dot inside a 65moa circle, thinking that I could pick up the circle and then tell which way to adjust to find the center dot. I like it but it’s on a seldom used handgun for limited applications.

To me, a red dot on a sub-compact handgun is akin to a rifle scope on a slingshot. There’s a close range tool with a precision accessory that slows down my ability to get on target. (And then there’s Murphy’s law and batteries. )

2 Likes

I really like the g2c! I’ve put a crazy amount of rounds through it and literally haven’t had a single failure while other more expensive guns had problems with the same ammo. Haven’t been able to justify spending money on a red dot that could be spent on ammo. I do have a red dot on a rifle but not a hand gun. Yet…

2 Likes

The sights on the EC9S are part of the slide and cannot be changed. I painted the front sight orange, which helped a bit.

1 Like

if you like the EC9S try the MAX 9. It is really close to same size. 10 or 12 shot magazine. Tru-Glo front sight very easy for me to find in sunlight and low light conditions. My only complaint is the rear sight. I wish it had dots on it but the MAX 9 is already tapped to receive a red dot or other after market optics. I just haven’t done my research to upgrade yet.

1 Like

Thanks! I am also considering the Max-9. But, like the Taurus G3c I am considering, I haven’t seen the Max-9 for rental at any of the ranges around my area.

1 Like

Purchased a canik elite sc as it have other long slides tp9s that I really like. Installed a crimson trace red dot on it. Nice fit. Works well, always on but has a cover to save battery life when not in use. So far dry fire at home is odd. Easy to find dot when using irons but needs some getting used to when just looking for the dot. So far muzzle upward & then brought down is working well but need that point of aim quicker.

1 Like

Have you ever looked through a red dot and figure out the size of the dot? At 10 to 20 feet? How about 50 feet? 75 feet? The further the distance the larger the red dot is.
Dot Size Information - C-More Systems (cmore.com)

2 Likes

That’s why reticle sizes are often given in MOA (or milrad) for dots as well as for scopes.

The front sight of an iron sighted pistol is the same way, just larger/covers more. The dots allow more precise aiming at any range when compared to typical pistol iron sights

2 Likes

I am not presently using an optic on any of my carry weapons. However, any new purchase I make will be milled for optic installation (and have a cover plate), giving me that option. That is a more cost effective option than modifying a non-optic firearm down the road. It’s not that I do not like pistol optics, I just don’t have any particular reason to go that route at this time.

2 Likes

Just guessing… The dot does not change, the target is smaller to aim at this covering more of it…

5 Likes

Another thing to go wrong. Batteries die, may leak, or even worse one drops their firearm and breaks an expensive site. My take, my opinion may change.

2 Likes

A lot of people speak about how hard the dot is to find. It must be different for a handgun then it is for a rifle because I’ve never had that problem with my :red_circle: on my riffles. I’m guessing it’s because your holding the dot further from your eye. I’ve seen that a good solution to this is the Holosun hs507 with the acss Vulcan reticle. It has a huge circle around the dot that can only be seen if your off center. The idea is that if your off the giant circle guides you to the dot. Looks like it would be great for beginners like myself and others.

3 Likes

Those are all solved by backup iron sights.

Do we also forego any electronics or batteries on carbines in favor of iron sights? Looking around at military and law enforcement and competitive shooters and hunters and home defense/self defense, clearly, the vast majority have embraced batteries and electronics for optics on rifles.

I don’t see why quality dot sights on pistols should be any different

These things are darn reliable and durable. See Sage Dynamics videos on the RMR and the Holosuns for an exmplae

1 Like

So, you are correct, it is easier to do it ‘wrong’ and not see the dot on a handgun, than on a rifle.

The reason is that, for rifle shooting, proper cheek weld is synonymous with sight alignment. When a person has a consistent placement of the rifle on their shoulder, against the cheek, nose in the same place, etc, that creates proper sight alignment. When you are able to get into the “right” position with a rifle, the sights or dot will just be there.

This isn’t as easy with a pistol since you are literally just holding out at nearly arms length in front of you, basically floating in space, and you have half as many points of contact at the most (two hands, vs two hands, face, and shoulder pocket). ALso those half as many points of contact move a lot more than your face and shoulder move.

Also also, the windows on dots on rifles are typically larger than the windows on pistols.

But this also applies to iron sights, to an extent, in that sign alignment when you are able to get into the “Right” rifle position (not always possible in a dynamic situation or field conditions) is just plain easier with rifle than pistol, all around.

And I think you are on track with the Vulcan reticle. ALso the Holosun where you can select dot, circle, or circle dot is nice, IMO, as using circle and dot is just a beautiful way to sight

4 Likes