Micro 9’s vs sub compacts /or compacts

I recently lended my carry gun to my son, who’s off in college, so he could practice with it and eventually take his LTC class. Knowing that he’ll probably have it for quite a while, I plan to use this opportunity as a “good reason” to buy a new handgun.

The micro 9’s are the latest and greatest, but I’m curious about the pros and cons between them and regular compact or sub compact models. If anyone has any experience with these I’d love to hear y’all’s opinion on the matter.

Thanks

2 Likes

I love the small guns, like a Sig P365. Well, for carry, I shoot full sized guns much better. The Sig 365XL was better for me to shoot. If you can, try to rent some of the sub compacts, and make sure you can shoot them as well as you need to.

Of course, I am not the one to talk you out of buying a new gun! :grinning: :grinning:

5 Likes

Having carried micros, compacts, and full sized I find I get more purchase quicker on a compact than on a micro. Yes, the micros may be lighter and more concealable but at the end of the day I prefer what I can present on target the quickest.
IMHO YMMV

3 Likes

For me anymore the gun most likely to hang from my hip is my Sig Sauer P938 one of the older micro 9’s. Shoots great, 7+1 and if you are familiar with the 1911 platform it will fit naturally in your hand and come naturally to eye. I have to brag on the guns abilities a bit when I took the highest at the time NRA pistol instructor rating class Personal Protection Outside the Home I used the P938 for the shooting qualifications and it more than held it’s own against everything else including someone who was running a modified Glock 34. But I will say I’m intrigued by the new Taurus GX4 micro 9 first reports I have seen give it high marks and at a very reasonable cost vs some of the other popular micro 9’s.

4 Likes

I have a “compact” G19 and “micro” P365. The P365 is definitely easier to carry and conceal IWB and is also small enough to pocket carry with the right pants. Within 20 yards or so I am only a little slower and slightly less accurate with the micro. But some folks have a harder time with the micros so YMMV.

4 Likes

I have a Kimber Micro 9 and find it’s very easy to carry as a daily CCW. They’re small enough to carry in whatever type of holster you prefer without much printing. I personally like the “sneaky Pete” type of approach, but to each their own. The only drawbacks are reduced number of rounds (7+1 with the extended magazines), and for my Kimber in particular, they are somewhat picky on what type of ammo you feed them (I solved this problem with American Eagle rounds). Hope this helps

3 Likes

My current favorites are the Glock 43X and 48. They’re about as small as I’m willing to go and with Shield Arms mags they are 15+1 guns! I have a 43 also but it’s just so small I really don’t like shooting it much and I really don’t find the 43X any tougher to conceal while being a LOT easier to shoot well.

4 Likes

I think the term “micro” is just a new fancy term for “sub compact”. For example my mothers Glock 43 is considered a sub compact and my P365 considered micro, but both somewhat similar in size. I’m a glock guy but much prefer the capacity of my P365.

3 Likes

I just purchased an M&P 9mm Shield Plus and it’s considered a high capacity micro compact and I love it. It’s now my carry gun and it’s carried in a Bradec IWB holster in the appendix position. Funny thing is that I also have the subcompact 2.0 and the mags hold less rounds, go figure. I’m an M&P guy myself. I also have the compact 2.0 4” and although I can conceal it I have it set up for home defense because they are 15 round mags. All of the above mentioned firearms are concealable but my go to is the Shield Plus because it’s the easiest to conceal.

2 Likes

@Johnnyq60 Can’t go wrong with anything S&W. Made in U.S.A.

2 Likes

I like the Limber Micro 9s. 1911 type. But I carry a G43 currently. I got a G43 and a 1911 during y th he same period. I prefer to shoot the 1911 but like the compactness of the G43. My PT111 G2 feels best but I switched it from carry to home defense safe use.

5 Likes

It has to be Limber if it’s a Kimber.:+1::+1::joy:

3 Likes