Train or Upgrade?

I have been shooting for 20 years in the military, but I’m new to concealed carry. I purchased a Ruger EC9S last year, and it is currently my EDC for about a year. However, I struggle with accuracy with this gun, and I have had a few maintenance issues with it as well. I also really dislike the sights on the EC9S.
I shoot my larger guns (Walther PPQ45, S&W M&P9 Compact) much better. If the situation permits, I plan to carry my M&P, but this is not always practical.
I’m thinking about upgrading to a Hellcat, P365, or Shield Plus, but also thought I may benefit from some training on shooting small pistols.
I understand the basics of marksmanship, and go to the range to practice every few weeks. I am all about training, but I’m not sure at this point if my struggles with this gun are about me or the gun.
Any thoughts?

5 Likes

Upgrade. I can’t say enough good things about the P365. Try it out at your local range.

5 Likes

My wife has an ec9s and loves it. The Shield Plus is very nice- my bro-in-law got one, but cant get mags. In my OPINION, the P365, Hellcat are over rated and too exspensive. The Taurus 2Gc/3Gc rates very well and are $100s of dollars cheaper.

1 Like

Or you could just start throwing rocks. Would be better than the Taurus.

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback. My main complaints about the EC9S are the trigger reset and the sights. I rented a Shield 2.0 and Glock 43 prior to buying the EC9S, and liked the Shield better. Guess I should have bought the Shield….Lesson learned about “Try before you buy”
I’m not about bashing Taurus, because they make some good guns. I really like my TX-22 ( but not for CCW). Just want feedback about other small guns, sights, and training. I carry a small pistol for concealability , but also want to be able to shoot as accurately as I can.

The EC9S is a fine little pistol, but I understand your issues with the sights. I may be incorrect, but I don’t think those are upgradeable?? Everyone is different and carrying concealed is such a personal thing it’s hard for anyone to tell someone else what they should or shouldn’t do. Me personally, I believe in carrying the biggest gun possible. For me that is a Glock 45, I’m lucky I have the body type that allows me to do so and do so comfortably. If you like the M&P or the PPQ and want to carry one of them, it’s possible you might be able to find a holster that allows you to carry it on a daily basis. As we all know, the holster makes all the difference in the world. For student training purposes, I have so many different holsters that fit my G45 (Same as a G19) I’ve lost count, but my Dark Star Gear (My daily holster) and my Tulster Oath holsters are night and day difference versus the others. Both allow me to carry pretty much a full size gun regardless of my clothing choice and my profession requires me to dress professionally with my shirt tucked in. I think it would be worth a shot to give one of the two larger guns a shot for daily carry if you think you can make it work.

3 Likes

Shooting Compact and Subcompact handguns is different than shooting full size.
This is nothing new. Different size, different grip, different recoil, different follow through and of course different accuracy… and unfortunately, every time I have written “different” means “worse”.

If you don’t feel comfortable with Ruger EC9S, try other model. Your thoughts about Hellcat, P365, or Shield Plus are good - these are awesome handguns and very close to full size feel.
Which one will work best for you? You have to find it by yourself.
My small advice - choose the heaviest one. This way you will be closest to your larger guns.

Anyway, don’t think you cannot shoot accurately small handguns. You definitely CAN. It just needs more time and practice.

6 Likes

Unfortunately, the EC9s sights are part of the slide. I painted the front sight,but that’s all I can do. The LC9S slide is interchangeable, but not very available or cost effective. I added a laser, which helps for short range sighting / shooting but has its limitations.

1 Like

Any firearms that you get a hold on you will need to train hard and long with it. Build memory muscle in you are and hand so when your muscles are use to were you hold your gun to hit the target then your muscles you will feel so natural, but before you do this go to a well stocked gun store and handle all the ones you think you would like, I’ve always got the one’s that first fit my hands in different holds, then the weight you don’t want too lite or too heavy, then can I conceal it. Once you choose the gun that you pick do the above-mentioned and you will be no the right route to having a gun that you can conceal and feel confident to use when needed. Remember Stay Alert and don’t get hurt.

1 Like

Before you start chasing guns, find a good CCW instructor who can diagnose issues with your shooting technique using compact/sub-compact pistols vs. larger ones.

Even if you end up ditching the Ruger, the insight you’ll get will help you choose the right replacement.

8 Likes

Thanks Yoda (just kidding :grinning:). It’s really good advice, and I wish I would have considered this before buying the Ruger. The S&W Shield felt better in my hand than the Ruger, but I ended up getting the Ruger because it was on sale and had good review from others. Won’t make that mistake again.

1 Like

I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry .45 It is small like the P-365 but attitude. I find it very accurate but, that is me! I carried the P-365XL for a while but just really enjoy shooting the Kimber.

4 Likes

Reading all the replies to your quandary I’ve haven’t seen anything about the GRIP design or angle. Pointing a handgun should be like pointing your finger, natural. The different degree of angle on the grips of handguns can cause a hard time putting the sites on target. This fact would be only one to keep in mind.

1 Like

I suggest going to a range that has rentals and try out several different firearms to find one you like. Training of course is important. However if you are using a gun that doesn’t feel well in your hand or you don’t shoot well for any reason you should look into other options.

Fortunately this community has a ton of experienced shooters that can help. Your best bet is to solicit feedback and then get your hands on a few options to try before you buy.

4 Likes

You might already be doing this, but if not, spend some time at home dry firing with unloaded gun paying particular attention to any movement of the sights when the trigger is pulled. The short barrel and sight radius of the subcompact is unforgiving of any movement.

Of course any justification for a new gun is always welcomed :sunglasses:

2 Likes

You need to pay more attention to reading then… :smiling_imp:

Just kidding… Grip and frame make big difference.

2 Likes

Generally I would recommend more training but I think in your case a different firearm would be equally beneficial.

I really like the P365. It has decent sights out of the box a comfortable grip and good trigger. I also went through the Ruger LCPs trying to find a good tiny pocket pistol. Didn’t like the 1’s trigger, sights or grip. The 2 improved on all of these but not enough. The LCP Max is just about perfect with a much better grip design and sights. Makes it so much easier to shoot quickly and accurately.

Sometimes the gun can make a big difference. But if you have a gun you are reasonably comfortable with then the training is more important. It sounds like in your case you can shoot other firearms well but are just not getting along with the EC9.

1 Like

That was really uncalled for… not your cup of tea fine. I’d take my Taurus over your over rated over priced cult toy.

3 Likes

I’m a Glock owner that carries a HK.:grinning:

I decided to delete the comment… I chose not to lower myself to #JoeC’s level.

I like HK, too.