Real Solutions for Reducing Violent Crime

Budgets for public schools are public documents. Here is the Detroit Public Schools breakdown of revenue sources from last years budget

Say whaaaat…!!!

2 Likes

While I agree with much of what you state, there is something overlooked.

Personal Responsibility. Regardless of race, color or national origin… an individual still has some personal responsibility in their choices and actions.

There was a report within the last two years I believe where an individual wanted to sue the school system, because he claimed they failed to teach him to read.
You can go to school, but it is still the individual’s responsibility to put forth the effort to actually learn.

While we need reform, particularly in the courts and the penalties we impose, we can not simply ignore crimes.

2 Likes

1000 upvotes

2 Likes

I can’t explain the difference in the classroom appearance, facilities, or upkeep - but I can tell you how much revenue is available per student as a matter of public record.

Utica Community (upper class middle class) $12,758/student
Almont community (rural) $11,202/student
Detroit Public (inner city / under funded) $15,258/student

2 Likes

If i knew, i would fix it! (and become rich in the process)

Regarding the article about Detroit Public Schools, it was an interesting read (yes, I read it), and something I didn’t know about (state takeover of the school district day-to-day operating and finances), but I’m not sure how it applies to what we’re talking about except that Detroit has no money for anything, let alone schools?

Although this bit was interesting fron the next to last paragraph (emphasis mine):

In Michigan, school facility funding is completely funded at the local level through voter-approved property taxes. Currently, Detroit residents and businesses are already being taxed at the state maximum (13 mills) for the capital debt. The capital debt ($1.5 billion outstanding), which is backed by the State of Michigan, will not be fully paid until 2052. Because of DPS’s current debt obligations, DPSCD is unable to issue additional state-backed debt, but could pursue non-qualified debt if voters approve. However, financing such debt would place further strain on Detroiters’ household budgets as they already face the nation’s third highest property tax burden.

2 Likes

100% absolutely agree.

And my intent was not to say ignore some of these crimes. I don’t have a clear answer on where the “line” is now, or where I think it should be. For some poor decision-making in their youth they can mess up the rest of their lives and by extension their community (part of the endless cycle). These petty criminals just go to jail to become better criminals.

Usually if the locale is liberal you only see more leniency, and if more conservative then its only harsher penalties. Its something to look at, and I would like to see both options simultaneously not independently.

1 Like

Another point to bring up is projects like this Operation Ceasefire in Boston (i didn’t see it posted already)

And while it looks like the original project has ended, follow up programs are still having an impact

I brought this up to my local legislator (Virginia) during the gun-ban push this January and he said “those things are too expensive and no one wants to pay for it”.

1 Like

Intresting statistics from the project…

In Boston, for example, which at the time had a population of roughly 556,180 people, approximately 1,500 individuals were identified as comprising 61 separate groups. This 0.3% of the population was responsible for 60% of the city’s homicides.[2][10] Similarly, in Cincinnati in 1997, which had an population of about 333,210, between 800 and 1,000 individuals—less than 0.3% of the population—were identified as being group related, and were responsible for 75% of the city’s homicides.

2 Likes

I recently reread Common Sense by Thomas Payne and have been reading The Federalist Papers. Talk about quotable lines!

“War, like most other things, is a science to be acquired and perfected by diligence, by perseverance, by time, and by practice.”

Excerpt From
The Federalist Papers
Alexander Hamilton
12/21/1787

4 Likes

@MikeBKY Brother, Thank you for the reading suggestions! So can we apply “practice” of enforcing law to reducing violent crime? This whole Defund Thing is confusing me. Apparently it doesn’t mean what I think it means…

1 Like

Some of those screaming the loudest about defunding law enforcement are the ones that wrote the laws they’re expected to enforce.

Those are some of the same politicians that have been in office at some capacity for ten, twenty, thirty years and more that were ok with it yesterday…but not today.

3 Likes

@MikeBKY Is onto something. Just about finished reading Common Sense by Thomas Paine. I was sensing a parallel with another publication, the Bible. Specifically, 1 Samuel Chapter 8.

Worth a read, folks.

3 Likes

Common Sense and the Federalist Papers are available at no charge from Apple Books for apple devices.

2 Likes

Here I tend to agree with you. The kids living next door from Vietnam, India, Korea or Japan came from the very same schools, some neighborhoods with the same teachers. But they worked as a family to get out of it. We have accepted as true the concept of, Put a bag of money on a catapult and shoot it at the problem and it will be solved. That has not proven to be the case.

The solution is not spending more money on a system that rewards students for just showing up to take classes on why the nation owes them for attending school. We need to instill in students a drive to succeed so they can better themselves to become productive Americans not just another human that the government has to take care of because they feel it is deserved. The solution is not more money to give people more fish, It is teaching more people how to fish and that concept has simply walked out of the room for the government today.

The solution for violent crime today is having penalties so extreme that people fear the punishment more than they fear anything else in this life.

4 Likes

Like I have said before, it might take a while but a GOOD education will change all

For our current situation I thought it ingenious to cross deputize State LE so the State LE can book their “suspects” into Federal detention and Federal DAs will prosecute. No rotating doors or refused prosecutions:

And:

And:

1 Like

Sister of Portland Antifa gunman Michael Reinoehl reacts to his death: “I wouldn’t say at this point that this counts as bad news.” – DAILY MAIL

Apparently sis wasn’t a fan…ouch.

2 Likes

Liberal school boards are trying to send those asian kids back to those schools in the name of improving diversity in schools because minorities are underrepresented. It’s odd because I thought asians are a minority, but in truth only count as a minority when convenient. It’s actually very elegant. Politicians can pay lip service to making things better for black and hispanic minorities without actually doing anything effective while obstructing asians.

Problem is, I can’t see how we can get meaningful change without a massive change in the government. Maybe if we had term limits and made congressional terms more like jury duty where a pool of candidates is pulled from voter rolls and we then go elect which one(s) get the job of representing us.

2 Likes

I think the quickest solution for reducing violent crime is speeding up the justice system. If the rules of law in a society can be clearly seen and enforced people know what to expect and start to trust the system more. Innocent till proven guilty is fine but when it takes months or years for the process to work things just get out of hand. Violent criminals should be subject to the most serious punishments we as a society can impose.

Students need to be taught Math, English, Reading, History and Civics. All or most of the extraneous classes can be visited in secondary or elective classes. We could also use a system of trade schools that are part of the system. But these things would be a good start. If the punishment fit the crime I believe the crime would lessen.

4 Likes

I don’t think the DAs can put them back on the streets any quicker than they already are…

Sorry… I know I’m an arse sometimes, but I just couldn’t resist…

4 Likes