Real news on virus

Continuing the discussion from Carona and increased concern:

I live in Chicago which is basically on an unlawful lockdown over nothing, anyway I went to my gun store and bought 6 more extra magazines for my boyfriend and my Ruger LCP and every box of 99 grain .380 hollow points before this bs was announced. Now my boyfriend and myself have 7 magazines each fully loaded with 99 grain hollow points and the weapons go everywhere. Just read this morning on a Chicago police blog that basically says the media and government is bs, and overhyping everything.

Real news is there was 1,400,000,000,000 cases in China and of that number ONLY 4,000 people died from the virus and they were old and already sick.

I believe the cops over medical personnel and government officials.

3 Likes

I’m not really jumping in on one side or the other with this as I think there’s definitely a lot of misinformation out there, but I do want to point out a couple inconsistencies with this statement. The first I’m assuming is just a typo as there are not 1.4 trillion people in China. The second is that there are around 1.4 billion people in China, but for those numbers to be accurate, every man, woman, and child in China would have had to have been diagnosed as having the virus. Just on a sinple logic trail, that seems unlikely. I think more likely would be that the truth is somewhere in between what we’re hearing from both sides, as usual.

6 Likes

Each of those groups has their own specialty. Medical personnel are the ones who understand the implications and possible impact of the virus on people.

Even if the only people who died in China were the old and sick, that means that anyone with a compromised immune system is in danger. However, it’s not just the old and sick who are dying from this. They announced this morning that a health 30-something died from the virus.

IMO, this is not something to be taken lightheartedly or ignored. Medical personnel are doing their best and we can do what is being asked of us (wash hands, cover your mouth, self-quarantine if your ill, don’t gather in large groups) to help save lives.

9 Likes

Brian, mortality rate is infected:deaths, not population:deaths. And there are (according to WHO) ~81,077 cases as of yesterday in China. I can tell you that much of the medical community doesn’t put faith in the reporting out of China.
If you want to listen to cops over medical people, feel free. It does help to stick to the facts on this, and I don’t think you’ll get those from sources outside of medicine and people who understand and can work with statistics.

4 Likes

The facts in GA today, as reported by the DPH, are an equal # of confirmed cases in the 18-59 & 60+ age groups. On 3/3, 2 confirmed cases, 3/15 = 99, and as of now 121 confirmed cases. I’m not an alarmist, but since I can do so, am taking the advice to stay home; I’d rather err on the side of caution.

5 Likes

Microsoft just setup a really nice tracker site at

https://www.bing.com/covid

6 Likes

Thanks for that info. I look daily, so will check it out. This info is from my countie’s F/B page, which has DPH, CDC, etc links.

3 Likes

The one side is saying that there is absolutely nothing to be worried about. The other side is saying that the world is coming to an end and panic buying. I think the truth is somewhere closer to the middle. If you’re younger and mostly healthy you should be ok especially if you take normal flu season precautions. If you’re older, sickly, or immuno compromised or if you’re around people like that, I think there is more to worry about. People are panic buying and making this into a lot larger of a deal than it really is. But care should still be taken cause it’s easy to spread it.

5 Likes

My only concern is how it affects my other medications. Since I have Addison’s and no thyroid gland.

7 Likes

I’m not aware of anyone official or knowledgeable on infectious diseases who is saying “dont worry this is nothing”.

There isn’t really a need to stockpile 6months worth of toilet paper, but a little bit of sacrifice for a few weeks to limit the spread will prevent exponentially more deaths later. Follow the CDC guidelines (wash hands, don’t congregate in groups, etc) to limit the spread and we’ll all be fine in a few months and laughing about how much TP we have.

7 Likes

… and soup, hand sanitizer, snacks, etc.

4 Likes

1,400,000,000,000 cases in China and only 5,000 dead. This is nothing.

1 Like

I have severe allergies allergies and a smoker and I don’t care. Don’t make me have nothing but my job to do over a virus

1 Like

I do not trust any doctor and did not get a physical for 15 years until my boyfriend forced me to. Just have severe allergies, and a smoker and not worried

1 Like

And have to stay home at night because bars are closed with nothing to do except study for a job promotion for no one at all

1 Like

I think you are off by a factor of about 1,000. That’s 1.4 trillion. :eyes::innocent::pleading_face:

2 Likes

Brian is off by a much, much, much larger factor. The number of people does not equal the number of cases. which is about 81,000.

3 Likes

That is what they posted. The thing is the common flu kills many more people and no one says boo

1 Like

There are not 1.4 trillion people in China, nor the world for that matter.

2 Likes

I had to report on this to our team today at work.

China has ~4X the people in the U.S. Their death/symptomatic ratio is ~3.7. As of today in the states, ours is ~1.8 (lower and better, but we are on the up trend of the curve and they are on the down trend.).

The insidious thing is that symptoms aren’t clear on many people who carry…so they carry and infect others. To solve it, we have to stay away from each other (not have fist fights of TP, for instance).

If our rate matches that of China, our total deaths should be ~1/4 of theirs, or under 1000. If we don’t get in front of it, ours could be a higher ratio.

I’d like the $1,400,000,000 back in my 401k. :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes