Range targets - show them off!

Ruger PC Carbine, iron sights, at 25 yards. Easy to shoot…

10 Likes

Thanks Todd, appreciate it.

1 Like

Cmon man! Everyone knows the moon is made of cheese :grin:

3 Likes

Thanks. Really like that accuracy. Wondering make and model?

@Burdo - Springfield Hellcat, with an Apex trigger replacement kit and a Custom made Azimuth barrel.
If you decide to replace a stock barrel in any of your handguns, nomatter what company you go to be ready for a long, long, long wait.

4 Likes

Thanks William. And from a 3" barrel, nicely done. Looking forward to my next range visit. It gives us a goal to aim for with practice, no pun intended.

1 Like

That’s the way I like it, uh-huh, uh-huh.

4 Likes

This target shows you why I train

7 Likes

Another training target

5 yards .45 acp Springfield 1911

6 Likes

10 yards, that’s “really” good. Semi-auto? What caliber my friend?

4 Likes

Yeah, most people are going to do a dot torture at 3-5 yards. And still miss

1 Like

.45 acp Springfield 1911

3 Likes

That’s good aim, as those higher calibers have that recoil. What’s helpful was seeing you all’s targets is it shows that it can be done, for us still working on it. Cool.

4 Likes

For the dot torture, recoil should not be a factor. It is not timed. It’s a great marksmanship and fundamentals drill, it’s not necessarily a great analysis of your ability to use that pistol (as opposed to a different pistol) for self defense.

But it is fantastic and exploring your ability to generally use the pistol one handed, which is oft-overlooked and is self defense relevant

4 Likes

That dot torture is one of my favorites. It has proven very humbling for me.

4 Likes

Staccato C, before the red dot cuts were the standard with them, 9mm. Can’t do it with my 5 inch sti widebody though. Should be the other way around. Little single stack and I really get along for some reason.

Editgetting tougher the worse the eyes get

3 Likes

See … now I really wanna get to the range.

1 Like

Some good shooters looks like.

BUT
Dont see anyone practicing shooting “FROM RETENTION”.
Low and High.
A skill set you very well may need.
Much More likely than 30ft.

Also Targets with holes but no Shooting “Speed” mentioned are assumed - just
“Range Plinking”.
ie Not “Combat/Defensive Shooting”.

4 Likes

I found a range which offers a class, shooting when retrieving from one’s holster. I’ll look for where and when it’s allowed. To newbies (me included), check with the staff at the range. Using care not to sweep from the hip or side, unless allowed and no other people within the path of the muzzle. Colion Noir called us obsessed with FA safety.

On this vid at the 6:20 marker time, the gentleman reviews safety when drawing:

2 Likes

Unfortunately all my local ( within 50 miles ) do not permit drawing from retention. When I say bench, I’m shooting from a low ready position. When I say fast or rapid fire. I don’t have a timer and I usually shoot alone. Fast and rapid means firing as fast as I can shoot and reload.
So when playing poker that’s 21 feet, eight round mag, five rounds fired in less than 3 seconds. Normally I shoot from low ready or position sul.

Same goes for the anatomically incorrect target. From low ready 20 - 25 seconds at 30’, 28 rounds with three mag changes ( not including inserted mag ) and an FTF malfunction. Second mag, second round FTF, third round, second mag at the “9”!
I keep meticulous records of every round that ever left the muzzle of every firearm I own. FYI I don’t use silhouette targets anymore, all targets must be anatomical.

If I’m aiming for a particular body part, I call the shot. So when I’m with my kids or grandkids we call’em as we se’em. It’s me competing against me. Two weeks go with grandson, call the cleaver, eight round mag, fatigued after first five. ( we’d been shooting all day ) second eight round mag, right arm.

I’m no Top Shot, but if you tell me to hit the left eye, target will be blind in left eye!

Hostage target, intentionally slow, my day ends if I hit the hostage. Period.
Literally pack it up and go home if she is hit, first shot or last shot end of day. Go home practice dry fire, try again increase speed. Most of the rounds were controlled pairs or triple taps.

Not that I have to qualify my targets, it’s an ego thing. The Zombie target was an ego trip! Does that ego trip transcend to the streets, absolutely not. The hostage target does. I will say, only hits count! At my age and weight, running and gunning will get me killed. Focus and cover and I go home with no holes in me. When I practice for accuracy it’s 1/2” to 1” black dots at 5 - 15 yards. To me black dot targets are no fun on film, but hitting the Ace of hearts pleases me just as much.
No timing involved, I trust my instincts and my eyes. Pardon the dissertation, ego!

3 Likes