Range Bag Dump: What tools do you have in your bag?

One of the benefits of working part-time at the range where I shoot is I can borrow tools while I’m there (and have someone to assist me if I need help :wink: ). However, I’m going to be doing some traveling to different ranges for some training and was thinking I need to stock my range bag.

What tools do you keep in your range bag?

1 Like

Knife, tactical flashlight and speed loader (if this one counts as tool :thinking:).

1 Like

I think a speed loader counts.

• General: Knife, flashlight, speed loader
  • Cleaning: mini cleaning kit, lube
  • Glock: takedown tool, folding glock tool (screw driver, wrench, punch), mag disassembly tool

I don’t carry a tool kit for other brands of guns because I haven’t found gun-specific tool kits for them… or I’d have those too.

I actually have a Tool Box that I take to the range, it usually stays in the truck but it’s available if I need it. Basic rule of thumb, a tool for every nut, bolt, screw or pin for your weapon.

I will tell you I am also a fan of Home Depot/Lowe’s at Christmas /Fathers Day as they have all these wonderful little tool kits for $10 - 20 (so kids can buy Dad tools), all self contained in plastic containers.

Basics:
Screwdriver Kit: 60 bits and a ratcheting handle
1/4" Socket set, get a 6" extension
Small Ball peen hammer
Pin punch set
Allen / Torx wrenches (especially if it came with a part put on)
Bore snakes for everything
Otis Cleaning kit (mostly for weighted bit that will get a stuck round out of a rifle)
Oil/Grease - pick your flavor
Bore brushes of various sizes
Sectional cleaning rods w/ bore brush adapters (there are different sizes)
Fat Max Torque wrench
Green Scrubby pads
Various stones
Needle file set (Lowe’s sells a set with steel and diamond with a handle for like $14)
Couple towels (I use"O.R. Towels" if you know anyone in the surgical field see if they can grab a couple for you (they have to throw them away if they open them), lint free, absorbent and tough)
CTA’s (Cotton Tipped Applicators) - Wood handled Q-tips, non sterile bags of 100 from your surgery buddy
Gun parts: Anything you might need/spares

Probably overkill for most but I do Long Guns, AR’s, Shotguns and pistols so…

Cheers,

Craig6

1 Like

thank you @craig6 you just added some items to my bigger cleaning kit :smiley:

Zee not sure if you’ve seen one of these. Lone wolf distributing has a spyderco knife with the built in glock takedown tool .

1 Like

https://www.lonewolfdist.com/

1 Like

that’s pretty cool :smiley:

There are Glock specific tools? :woman_facepalming:

1 Like

ha! yes. if you’ve got a properly appointed armorers tool kit, you don’t need anything extra, but if you prefer to have things in a tidy bunch, you get this:
Glock%20tool
it has the right hex driver for sights, a pin punch, a flat screwdriver for prying flat springs, and the right hex driver for after-market sights. All in a handy (and sturdy) folding setup like a leatherman tool.

I will say it goes nicely in one of the tool slots in my range bag and I don’t have to dig for little tools if I need them.
https://www.glockstore.com/4-In-1-Tool-for-Glock-Handguns

1 Like

Individual First Aid and Trauma kits. At least package(s) of clotting gauze, perhaps an injector of clotting powder, Israeli compression wrap(s), tourniquet(s). Don’t forget your cell phone!

1 Like

My range bag has my hearing protection (combination of ear plugs for friends who inevitably forget theirs and ear muffs for me), eye protection, a convenient USCCA provided OTIS style cleaning kit (thanks, USCCA!), targets, colored circular stickers for tracking shots between sets of shooting, Sharpie, pen, basic first aid kit (trauma kit in the works), spare mags, extra ammo, multi-tool, flashlight, and often a snack bar and bottle of water.

1 Like

Extra batteries for electronic hearing protection
Real avid pistol multi tool knife

Plus stuff everybody else said

2 Likes

I’ve seen that tool but not handled it @BJP… how do you like it?

1 Like

@Zee I like the Real Avid pistol tool. The only tool on it that I have not used is the 1911 wrench since I do not have a 1911.

It is very heavy for its size

2 Likes