Pocket Dump: Firearm Tools

Do you carry any tools for your firearm on you all of the time? What tools do you carry in your range bag?

7 Likes

I have a small CRTK/Ruger pocket knife with a carbon scraper and a few other AR-15 specific tools. I always put it in my pocket or vest if my AR is along for the ride. I have never had to use it, I always start out with a clean gun, but I just know the day I leave it behind I will need it.

The range bag has pin punches, hex keys, and cleaning related items. I will supplement the tools if I am doing something like installing a scope etc.

6 Likes

I have a multi-tool in my range bag. It’s been loaned out a couple of times.

4 Likes

Thanks for bringing up this topic, @Dawn I’ve never even thought to have any tools. Now that you mention it, I cant believe it’s never crossed my mind.
I mean sure, in a gun fight it will probably be useless. But on the range, definitely wise to have.
Any advice? I like what @Greg1 said

4 Likes

I carry the Gun tool and a set of Wheeler tools with me in my vehicle and range bag and also a quick reference field guide.

8 Likes

Thanks for sharing this pic @Johnnyq60

3 Likes

No hassles my man @AdamHutch. :+1:

3 Likes

Cleaning kit, hex keys for tightening or loosening hex nuts.

4 Likes

Nothing on my person. Screwdriver and a few Allens in the range bag.

3 Likes

I carry a gun tool in my bag and optic tool also

3 Likes

Small screwdriver, and a Real Avid 1911 multitool in my range bag. I alway have a pocketknife, usually my USCCA branded CRKT M16. Multitool came in handy today. One of the 4H kids rifle had a loose rear sight. Quick tighten, check for accuracy, good to go.

3 Likes

Aside from cleaning supplies & lube, all I have in my range bag and screw drivers and allens to adjust optics.

4 Likes

Everything that’s mentioned above plus some bandages, Tylenol, aspirin, extra glasses, foam ear plugs for others, couple of rags & sometimes a sandwich.

5 Likes

I actually have a tool box that goes with me anytime guns are involved. It is the one tool box that both my boys WILL NOT TOUCH as they have been threatened within an inch of their lives if I find a tool missing and I need it on the range. It started being built when I was shooting High Power for the Navy, there are spare M1A, bolts, trigger groups, gas pistons pins and springs. If you handed me a 1911 frame, barrel and slide I’m pretty sure I could hand you back a functional firearm. Cleaning stuff, tools, lots of tools, stones, files, pin punches & bench blocks. It even has inch pound torque wrenches and 1/4 & 3/8" socket wrenches. Bandaids, lots of Bandaids. It probably tips the scales at north of 40 lbs but it has fixed broken guns, vehicles, range equipment and people from Maine to Florida.

Hint to all that are looking to build a useful tool kit. Christmas time is the best season to pick up modular tool kits from Home Depot and Lowes for dirt CHEAP. Socket and Screwdriver kits for $9.99 to $19.99 they package them up so the kids can give Dad a REAL present for kid bux. It’s a gun box, tool kit wonderland.

Cheers,

Craig6

5 Likes

I have a good set of tools in my range bag. I try to fix my problems at the range so I do not haver to worry about it when it matters.

4 Likes

I don’t carry anything firearms specific as part of my EDC, but I will usually have a multi-tool with me.

For the range bag, i keep a Leatherman MUTT multitool, a mixed bunch of sight adjustment tools, an old-school AR cleaning kit, the kind that goes into the butt-stock of the old M16 A1/A2, the cleaning rods can be used to punch out a squib for example. Gun oil… I think thats it.

4 Likes