Question concerning FFL transfer wait time

Hey, can anyone tell me if there’s a time limit on how long a FFL dealer can hold a firearm during a transfer? The said firearm already being paid for and a valid CCW permit (no wait time in FL).

1 Like

I don’t think there is a time limit on how long they can hold a firearm. I have heard that some dealers will charge storage fees if you leave a firearm with them for an extended period of time.

And welcome to the community!

2 Likes

I am not an attorney or an FFL myself. This is how it was explained to me when it happened twice to me here in FL.

There exists a wait time between the point of origin seller and the receiving FFL. However, it is because the original seller must abide by the State laws of the receiving FFL. Without being able to positively ID you as a Florida CWL holder from the original point of sale, the weapon in question must be held for 3 days until you receive it from the FFL in Florida.

Happened to me twice from purchases made from a Portland FFL to my receiving FFL in Florida. Does it make sense? No. However, your sending FFL is simply covering his 6 with the ATF and Justice.

Welcome to the community.

4 Likes

Thanks for the replies. Yeah, its not a legal thing as to why they’re holding it. It’s some store policy thing where they only want one or two persons to deal with FFL transfers and neither were there today. One will be out for a week or more and the other person may not be authorized by the shop to proceed. It just seems ridiculous that they don’t allow their other employees to handle transfers but allow them to sell firearms. Oh well, /rant over. Thanks again!

4 Likes

Definitely seems ridiculous for a gun shop to not be able to do a transfer because one of their employees is on vacation or whatever. I would look for another dealer for your next transfer.

5 Likes

yes, definitely going to.

4 Likes

Welcome aboard @Tony38

2 Likes

@Shamrock @Tony38 >> one of the new bills that got passed may be the problem. If the dealer calls in for a I’d # with a background check and the system is too busy to handle the volume the wait time was increased to 10 days. If the dealer can’t get a transfer I’d # after 10 days they are allowed to make the transfer anyway. The other thing the feds were going to do was put another 150 ATF agents on the payroll to investigate
fire arm violations. Don’t know what the bill numbers were or even if they got passed. Got cross eyed trying to follow the yellow brick road.
The state I live in updated the data system for background checks and, it was down for 5 day = no Tickey No Washi.
PS: why don’t you speak up and find out what the hells bells.

5 Likes

@Tony38 Welcome to the community. Seems like the community has some good answers on what might be going on with your firearm. Any way best of luck to you. :us: :us: :us:

3 Likes

Welcome @Tony38!

I live in FL. I’m not sure there is a requirement that the FFL must release the firearm to you within a certain amount of time. But most have no incentive to keep it longer than they have to.

It’s unfortunate that your FFL requires one of 2 people to complete the transfer. Probably store rules to make sure the transaction is done correctly. I’ve always taken possession my firearm the day my FFL receives it even from out of state sales.

As others have said, just call them on it and find out what’s going on.

Good luck!

3 Likes

I noticed something similar on my last purchase. The store only had a select number of employees that were “permitted” to do the 4473. While they had several people working the gun counter if none of them were permitted you had to come back each day to see if a permitted person was there to process your ppwk. They would not tell you when a permitted person was scheduled to work, I get and understand that. I am lead to believe that there is some form of certification or process that VA requires to be able to process the ppwk. (mebby Federal I don’t know). I got lucky and the dudett that was permitted was there on a lunch break the next day. 49 minutes later I got walked out the store and handed the piece. It also seems the ATFE is cracking down on “administrative errors” on the ppwk so a “one line and initial” is a fine, too many and you get a citation. Of course every 4473 is serialized so you can’t just rip it up and start over.

A view from the cheap seats.

Cheers,

Craig6

3 Likes

This is from the peanut gallery!

Back when my local Walmart sold ammo, there were only two individuals with a FOID card who could process the sale. They refused to work 12 hour shifts. There were days when they would have to check the schedule to see when Fred or Ethel were working! :astonished: :astonished:

1 Like

Main reason I don’t pay in full, no more incentive for seller :man_shrugging:t4:

2 Likes