Can you request at an FFL?

Can you go to a gun store and if they don’t have the gun you’re looking for, can you request them to order it?

6 Likes

Absolutely. The gun store gets their stuff from a distributor, or multiple distributors. If they can get it from their distributor, they will gladly order it. If it is something they don’t sell much of, they may want the money up front.

6 Likes

Yes of course you can. What @45IPAC says is the way to pursue or go through www.guns.com and they will fix you up with your ffl no problem.
I wanted to make an addendum a caveat here in the people’s republic of Illinois many FFL’s gave up their licenses when the General Assembly sadly flipped to Democrat and they were out trolling for harder stiffer gun laws. Politicians are never going to figure out that criminals don’t care about stupid more restrictive gun laws.

7 Likes

This is what a gun store is doing. If they do not have your firearm on stock, and you KNOW WHAT DO YOU WANT, they will order it for you.
I like this option because most gun stores waive the FFL fees :slightly_smiling_face:
Just ask if they are OK with returns (in case).

I’ve been in situation where I’ve asked my local store for particular weapon, but told them that I’m not sure if I want it… they warned me that this would be the final purchase, no return…
Sometimes gun store doesn’t want to keep particular model on stock.

6 Likes

Yes you can as what was pointed out, my FFL also let me order and have shipped to him for the transfer for just $25.

The FFL I drove out to last week asked if there was anything else I was looking for and that if he doesn’t have it he said don’t hesitate to ask us to order it.

5 Likes

These are what my gun stored ordered for me recently…

The shotgun my shop is holding for me as I wont be picking it up till tax time but the sale is on now…

He has no problems holding them for me.

5 Likes

You may find a store that you like working with. I have an FFL I get most of my stuff through. They’re not the closest to me but I really like these folks and I take them my business. They can order most stuff, but there are some companies you have to have a distributorship to order through, and they aren’t a distributor. For those I order through someplace like GrabAGun.com and have it sent to them for transfer. If I buy something used from an auction site, it goes to them too. (I can buy used face-to-face in Missouri without an FFL).

6 Likes

My most recent experience was with my local shop. The pistol was being discontinued by the manufacturer, and I worked with the manufacturer and the local shop to find one (new). However, some shops might not be as “industrious” with tracking down some things… I doubt mine would if I hadn’t done a lot of the footwork and contacted the manufacturer myself. I also expected to pay about MSRP… I think they gave me $1 off MSRP IIRC.

That being said, I also used that shop many years ago for my first firearm (used). I saw a model I really wanted when traveling out of state, and had my local shop do the transfer. No issues. There was a small fee, of course. I probably wouldn’t have done this on a used firearm if I didn’t see it in person first, though.

5 Likes

The FFL I bought my AR from was way better as far as staff was concerned and knowledge than the local Bass Pro people or local Academy Sports. I found that those people actually seemed to be more knowledgeable and didn’t look like they were resigned to their fate. So that’s where I want to go for my next gun purchase. Even if I need my mom to buy it for me and conduct a private sale with her. 🤷 So that’s what I’m looking at right now.
I just need to find time to get to a local range and rent some handguns (unless they require you to be 21 :unamused:).

4 Likes

:point_up:
Bass Pro is OK… to buy Pepper Spray or BB Gun from :confused:
My last interaction with Firearm dept at Bass Pro was year ago, when their salesman explained to me how to buy firearms on internet :smiley:
They charge 3 times more for FFL fees than all other local dealers… Looks they are doing everything to support others :wink:

4 Likes

They’re expensive for sure. I just never compared their prices. Needless to say I paid $600 for my XDS 4" because it was the last they had 🤦😬 honestly I wish I hadn’t decided to pay that much in hindsight. I realize now I should’ve waited but it is what it is. Live and learn right? 🤷

5 Likes

I’m not sure but some months ago I emailed BassPro which also now includes Cabelas asked them if they will/can price match; the reply I received was not what I was expecting, the answer was the Department Manager has the discretion if they are available some do - some do not according to what I received.

4 Likes

Just make sure you aren’t discussing this in the shop. The law says buying for someone else is a straw purchase, and that technically includes gifts. She can sell it to you any time she decides to, just be clear when she goes in and fills out the paperwork for it, shes buying herself a gun.

I’ve seen that discussion, in the shop, shut down more than one in-progress sale.

5 Likes

@luke_ouellette Do not get involved with that Luke, that’s a straw purchase and I know you want some guns but I think some weeks ago you spoke about your age? Just wait until you’re older and perfectly 100% for your state. @Zee is also right.

3 Likes

I talked to a friend I know who is an FFL and he said it was legal for that to happen. Because I’m not a felon and I can legally possess a handgun in AL at 18. 🤷
So I’ve made perfectly sure it was legal before doing it.
And @Zee yes I know she needs to fill it out for herself and then in turn sell it to me. And she is aware of that too. But thanks for clarifying :grin:
And I have called in about getting a gun and told them my mother would pick it up and they didn’t object. 🤷 She just filled out the paperwork like she was buying for herself. I just need to get some bill of sale from her 🤦

3 Likes

My sons can legally own a handgun, but they cannot purchase a handgun. So I can own the handguns and they can hold them for me. But they cannot go out and buy a handgun (or an AR lower), they can buy a rifle or a shotgun.

7 Likes

@luke_ouellette just keep all that discussion at home… you do not know who else may be in the shop at any given moment. Someone overhearing may feel obliged to make a phone call.

I know I’m more cautious than most on this forum, but I’ve seen a lot of things go differently than intended. Sometimes people get too comfortable with what comes out of their mouth and where that happens. Its impossible to know who’s listening. I try to treat everything like it’s being recorded and I’m going to have to hear it played back… in court.

5 Likes

You’re talking from a gun store right? Cuz private deals to my knowledge don’t fall into that from all that I know. :thinking::confused:

(Edited)

3 Likes

I understand. I appreciate the concern Zee. :slightly_smiling_face:
Now when I’m 21, do I need to go through the FFL ownership transfer process or can I just keep my bill of sale and that’s all I need?

4 Likes

I think it depends on local law. However I’m petty sure you need a background check to possess the firearm.
In IL you have to make a legal transfer via State Police website (5 minutes, no charge).

4 Likes