Purchasing a gun in Texas,transferring to CA

I wanted to get some info im on my way to texas on a trip and wanted to purchase a gun something nice, im assuming its going to be off roster gun. I was going to transfer it through FFL but i wanted to get info so i have no issue transferring it to CA

4 Likes

@Gilbert33 Welcome to the community!

2 Likes

@Ronald150 Thanks

1 Like

Good luck… :zipper_mouth_face: :face_with_raised_eyebrow: :scream:
You better buy a gun which is complaint with the State you live in… unless you are not CA resident yet planing to move there.

BTW… Welcome to the Community :handshake:

6 Likes

Hello and welcome @Gilbert33 I wasn’t aware CA allowed anything off roster. @BeanCounter, any help?

5 Likes

@Karacal only way to get a hold of one in CA is through a private party transfer but i never heard of anyone doing it from out of state

4 Likes

@Jerzees Im a CA resident but was planning on doing a private party sale and transfer it through ffl without any magazine over 10rnds

3 Likes

Remember, there are limitations from who you can buy off roster gun. You cannot just buy it from any private seller. Magazine is not the only issue here.
Check your local laws.

5 Likes

Welcome to the community!

FFL to FFL is the way to go to ensure everything meets draconian rules. If this particular transaction isn’t, they’ll let you know.

6 Likes

So, would you need to call your CA FFL from Texas or the FFL in Texas would need to call the CA FFL to verify that its transferable?

4 Likes

Not exactly sure and I don’t want to say, “it depends.”

Twice I made out of state purchases, I provided FFL info and I didn’t hear from my FFL until it the firearms arrived and ready for paperwork to start 10-day purgatory period.
One was for a state-compliant AR. When the box was opened, the FFL guys looked at each other and one said, “would this work?” referring to the “finned” pistol grip. Made me think the two FFLs probably didn’t talk much.

4 Likes

If the gun is not on the roster, and you live in CA, you can NOT buy that gun. You will not be able to legally acquire an off roster gun in CA. There are limited exceptions such as if are active sworn law enforcement and get an exemption.

You can’t game the system by buying a gun out of state when it’s not legal to buy in your state

The place to officially ask the questions of “can I do this” will be your local FFL in CA. In TX, if you want to buy a handgun, you can pay for it in TX and TX can ship it to your FFL in CA. You would then take possession for the first time at your FFL in CA. It would have to be a gun that is legal for your CA FFL to transfer to you. For handguns, an off roster gun is NOT going to be able to be transferred to you

Double check with your local FFL if you want to be sure

6 Likes

Just remember that a “private party sale”, as a CA resident in TX, must go through an FFL. You really cannot do such a thing as a private party sale when you are out of state. Federal law says if you are a resident of state A, you can not take possession of a firearm from a private party in any state other than state A (and even that is only legal if state A allows it).

You could in general reside in state A, and pay a person in some other state for a gun, but you could not take possession of it straight from them. It would have to go through an FFL no matter what the two states involved are. For a rifle/shotgun, by federal law, it could go through an FFL in the other state. For a handgun, by federal law, it must go through an FFL in your own state

5 Likes

Honestly, I wouldn’t bother. Texas gun stores are great, but by and large they don’t know much about California gun laws and requirements. A CA gun store will sell you a gun that’s state compliant. If you buy one that’s not in TX and have it shipped to CA… you’ll lose the gun and possibly your money, and certainly everyone who’s involved time. Better to play it safe and buy a CA gun in CA.

Of course, you can still visit the TX gun store and drool over some very nice real guns and wish you lived in the land of freedom. :wink:

7 Likes

I’m not a lawyer but my understanding is if it is a handgun you are looking to buy you can only buy it through an FFL in CA even if it is on the roster. Out of State handgun sales are not allowed.

CA might not even allow out of State rifle sales. I remember wanting to buy a shotgun from the closest store to me when I lived in CA but the store was in NV and they told me they could not sell it to me.

The only way I know of to legally get an off roster handgun in CA is to find someone like an LEO who legally purchased it in CA who then decides to later sell it. But they can’t buy it with the intention of selling it.

7 Likes

Not sure this would work, but could a FFL store in California order the exact same firearm for you, and that same CA FFL have it shipped/delivered to them in CA for you to pick it up?

I’ve done that successfully, but just not shipped “to” CA, as I’m not there.

Of course, just be sure it meets the model legal requirement of CA. The state I’m in is about as strict as yours, but I managed to obtain some great finds within our magazine limit.

There may be some FFL’s in CA who you can talk with to ask if they have an easier way to receive it for you. If you knew the FFL seller in Texas, you can ask them if they can ship it to your preferred FFL in CA.

My only concern is if you show up in Texas, make the purchase, if you had not done your homework in advance, you could experience some unwanted delay or frustration. But it seems like you are checking it all out first, good for you.

Hope you make a good find. There are a couple models I like but they are not in my state, hard to find. I wish I could look at them in person instead of just online or by video, before I make the purchase.

Good luck and welcome Gilbert33.

3 Likes

It would have to be on the CA approved handgun roster. But generally yeah what you suggest is the way to go

3 Likes

FFLs could and encourages foot traffic to the business.
The legality of the purchase is ensured.

1 Like

Unfortunately a lot of sellers, even FFLs, are very careful these days about where their sold guns land.

We have very similar situation in IL, perhaps not such restrictions but still harsh and sometimes stupid rules.

The are plenty out of State places that don’t ship anything to IL… just because they don’t want to go through all the details of IL restrictions. For them it’s better to not sell than get into the troubles.

Buying off roster gun and bringing it to CA is nothing than looking for troubles, unless you know all the exceptions… but I doubt these apply to the OP question.

3 Likes

@Shamrock @Nathan57 thank you all for the information i think im going to just pass.

So you cant purchase a off roster hand gun through ffl even from a private party in CA? Ive been offered them before in CA but they sell them for 1500 for like a glock

5 Likes