Purchasing a gun in Texas,transferring to CA

@Jerzees @Burdo

@BenTheRifleGuy @BeanCounter

1 Like

I believe you can do this as long as the private party is also a CA resident and the handgun was originally brought into CA legally.

I have read of some other potential ways around this but they seem legally questionable and I suspect most CA FFLs wonā€™t want to be involved.

6 Likes

Soā€¦basically what Shamrock said. If I lived in CA IDK if Iā€™d want to be a part of that.

Bu, my non-lawyer understanding, is that the roster refers to bringing the gun into the state. My non lawyer understanding is that once the gun is legally owned and possessed in CA, it can be transferred to someone else. Hence the LEO getting it and then later selling it possibility, which would be from a private party but in CA probably still requires an FFL

4 Likes

@Nathan57 i understand now

2 Likes

@Shamrock thanks

2 Likes

I could be wrong, but I think the laws were, cannot own or possesses certain firearms within certain states; regardless of where or how one acquired them, itā€™s the ā€œpossessionā€ that catches us. I donā€™t always agree with said laws, just I need to follow.

2 Likes

Glad thatā€™s your decision.
We want to be on the right side of the law, even if they donā€™t make sense.

Not sure what youā€™re looking for in CA thatā€™s selling like an overpriced $1500 pistol.
I would go the route of buying stock and making upgrades to my liking.

4 Likes

@BeanCounter yea i think thats what im going to do its because we are only allow gen 3 glocks comes out to like 7plus with all the fees

3 Likes

No. To the best of my knowledge, all handgun sales must be of an on-roster model to be legal. Iā€™m not aware of a way for a civilian to legally get a non-CA compliant handgun. This is what I was told by several gun stores and LEOs while living there. That was several years ago, but I highly doubt CA has relaxed their gun laws since Iā€™ve moved.

3 Likes

Donā€™t do it. Even if you found a legal loophole, which I doubt exists, if they think itā€™s illegal they will act on their belief. Remember, the law isnā€™t what it is, itā€™s what they want it to be. Just look at all the other issues we see here, their attitude is we do what we want, now letā€™s see if you have the time and money to prove us wrong in court. It would be cheaper and less stressful to move!

4 Likes

Also bear in mind it is illegal to obtain a handgun in a state in which you are not a resident. You can facilitate a transfer to an FFL in your resident state, but with CA, if it is non-compliant, you cannot obtain it.

4 Likes