Gift and Transfer an AR lower to son in CA

Afternoon all! My 25 year old son lives in California and I live in Pennsylvania. I just purchased a lower receiver here to do an AR pistol build, but now that I’m thinking about it, my son could actually use it more than I could and would probably love to do his own AR build. California compliant of course. My question is on whether or not it is legal for me to send him the lower receiver as a gift (through his FFL) after I receive it (though my FFL). If so, I was thinking of just shipping it out to his FFL along with a gift letter. I want to be 100% within the law and I’m pretty sure this isn’t considered a straw purchase since he is completely legal to own a firearm and this would be a gift to him. But, Ive been wrong before which is why I thought I would ask.

Any thoughts? Assuming this can all be discussed on an open forum of course. Thank you!

2 Likes

I love these type of questions (most of the time) because I get to go to the state in question and look through there laws. But you said he lives in California :roll_eyes:. There gun law book is like 100,000(not literally) pages. That’s why I said “most of the time” because California law book is a pain in the butt to navigate and find the right answer. So many by-laws.

But I like a challenge :face_with_monocle: don’t be surprised if I give up.:exploding_head:

2 Likes

Thank you Justin. Appreciate any info, even if its just to comment back here tell me you gave up. :wink:

I moved from California to Pennsylvania about 8 years ago. My son decided to stay. The laws were concluded back then and I know they are even more so now! :astonished:

2 Likes

I’m guessing this is a 100 percent lower receiver?

1 Like

This is just a start.
https://www.thecommunityvoice.com/article/A-transfer-of-firearms-in-California

Remember this, if it is a 100 percent lower receiver, then In California it is considered a firearm.

I am not a lawyer or a professor of law I am just telling you what I’m reading.

According to California law hundred percent lower receivers are considered firearms. So any law that has to do with firearms will be considered the same law for a lower receiver.

2 Likes

By 100% Im assuming you mean not an 80% receiver that hasn’t been serialized. This is NOT an 80% receiver. This receiver has a serial number and I need to pick it up from my FFL, do the usual background check/paperwork. Once I do that my thought was to ship it to my sons FFL there in California and transfer to him.

1 Like

@Cupton, your FFL should be able to answer your question, but my guess is the Calf. FFL won’t care how much, or in this case how little, your son paid for the receiver. In my mind, the Calf FFL just has to make sure your son passes background check and pays transfer fees. Just be sure “AOW” (all other weapons) is checked to make it good to go for a pistol build. Again, this is just in my mind :grinning:

3 Likes

Welcome to the family brother and you are blessed to be here.

1 Like

@Justin47 I’m reading it also and CA. Is no joke with there gun laws. I believe there shouldn’t be a problem going through an authorized FFL.

Thank all I really appreciate all the advice and input. I’m going to ask my FFL when I do the paperwork to get the receiver in a few days and also my son is asking his FFL to make sure it’s all good On the receiving end before I ship it over to HIS FFL.

Appreciate ya!!!

1 Like

Ask the FFL before you do the paperwork transferring it into your name. You might not have to do that step.

The other option is to send him a completely separate lower and both of you build your own :smiley:

3 Likes

Good afternoon Cupton and welcome to the community. I live in the state in question and frankly you might be better off finding the cure for cancer or inventing the star trek transport capability. In short…good luck.

Currently all AR style weapons must be configured unlike anything you’ve seen before…take a look:

Our rifles must not have a pistol grip, no front pistol grip, and several other features that apparently in the minds of idiots, means that a those features make the weapon more dangerous. Much like I can’t purchase firearms or even lowers from places outside the state, others can’t send them into the states. YOU might have 1 small loophole though as you are his father and you might be able to be the exception. You’ll have to call your local gun store, and they in turn will need to call his local gun store to see if they can do a transfer if the circumstances warrant it. What circumstances might those be? Well, if you were to say have to be hospitalized and needed to have your son take possession of your AR Lower you planned to one day build could be one such reason. If you have no reason, chances are it may not be likely so really consider the “reason” why you’re “needing” to send it to him but you’ll need to have your FFL dealer send it to his FFL dealer and I wouldn’t be surprised if they still denied you…it is california as you know.

3 Likes

Also, please keep in mind that california does NOT allow for AR pistols. THere are several cases where people registered their legally purchased AR pistols with the state only to find police at their door confiscating their weapons now that they’re illegal. SO, if you bought this AR lower…it’s for a RIFLE build correct? I think that’s what you meant CORRECT!?

2 Likes

It is my understanding that I can send to his FFL and gift to him since he is my son. Same things goes for handguns. I know for a handgun, since he is my son the handgun being transferred is exempt form the California handgun roster. Not 100% sure about a lower receiver. I’m also under the impression that I would be able to transfer the receiver as a gift, father to son and that I can just ship it direct to his FFL meaning I wont need to go though and FFL on my end to ship it out. As long as it goes through his FFL in CA.

I also told him it stays here with me until we know all the legalities of it. Lots of questions will be asked on my end when I do the paperwork and he is also asking there in CA at his FFL. Worst case, I have a lower receiver to do a nice build off of. :wink:

1 Like

Well if it doesn’t work out you could always transfer it to me in Florida :rofl:

2 Likes

CORRECT! I swear, it would of been easier if he were to of just move to Pennsylvania with us.

1 Like

While I can’t speak for him, I will admit that while california does seem to represent many reasons to hate this state…the year round weather does make it so nice. I literally wear shorts and flip flops all year (with a few rainy day exceptions). So, I get your feeling…but there are also perks. Though I will admit the perks seem to be few compared to the reasons to flee this state lately…

2 Likes

Agree! We still have 90% of our entire family in SoCal. My family has had San Diego roots since the 1940’s and my wifes family is the same except from LA. We got out for a job opportunity and we wanted to raise our other kids in a different environment since we noticed a rapid change in the state. The nice firearm laws in the other states sure was a nice perk. I may not agree with most of the their politics and gun laws, but you cant deny the awesome weather, location and multitude of things to do throughout the year. You want beach, you got beach, you want forest you got forest, you want snow, you got snow. You want a football team, you got a… Oh wait. DAMN YOU DEAN SPANOS!

That all being said, growing up I NEVER would of thought I would of wanted to live somewhere else, but then we came here. Love western PA! And the Steelers took us right in with open arms. :wink:

2 Likes

100 percent agree with @Cupton Steelers Nation. :+1::+1:

1 Like