Can you request at an FFL?

@luke_ouellette, @Jerzees is right, it depends on your state law. In CA when I lived there 10 years ago, transfer between parents and adult children or between spouses just required filling and filing a form with the state for $15 IIRC. In Missouri it just takes a face-to-face transaction with a bill of sale, nothing goes to any authorities anywhere… and the bill of sale isn’t required by law, it’s just customary.

5 Likes

That makes sense. I’ll look into it. Thanks Zee and Jerzy.

3 Likes

Please verify your state and local laws before you proceed. The ATF link you posted is federal, but state and local laws could add more restrictions.

2 Likes

I was looking in the state firearms code and this is what I’ve found.

2 Likes

Family transfers process, are still the same I think the fee went up though. These are between parent to child and vice versa, then grandparent to grandkid and vice versa.

3 Likes

@Zee Good word. And Grabagun is a great place to shop.
Let me urge everyone to make sure your FFL is listed with the online store you’ll be using. My FFL is a good friend, but his listing with (I believe it was) Gun Broker had expired. They don’t keep FFL listed if there are no transactions through them for a time. Anyway, it caused me to lose some time going back to Mike and Mike emailing them etc. If I had checked their FFL list first, I’d have saved time and trouble. If you’re bidding in an auction as I was, it could mean losing a very nice piece.

4 Likes

@KenM In SC personal transfers IN STATE don’t require FFL. You can give or sell your firearm to an SC resident only. I still recommend transferring through an FFL for some obvious reasons.

4 Likes

Face to face sales or transfers dont require an FFL in MO either. I actually do that occasionally. its not the government’s business what firearms I own.

4 Likes

You are going to love the Canik! Several of my clients have these and loved it so much, I got one myself that prife for the elite is ridiculous!!!

2 Likes

Ditto on the Canik… its getting to be one of my very favorites!

3 Likes

I helped a friend set up the LLC for his gun shop. In exchange, he sells to me at his cost. And we send each other referrals. He will order anything for anyone.

4 Likes

Hey @Zee! I totally agree. I’ll buy personally quicker than sell. I’m always thinking about them getting into wrong hands. I have one friend who will resell, so if I sell to him…
It isn’t the government’s business, but if someone gets victimized with one that is found and traced back to my ownership, that won’t be a good day. We have already let our rights get endangered in so many ways.
That’s the ploy…to enact rules that SEEM sensible and needed so that eventually the rules cut off normal pathways and create new ones that are controlled. When these are the only roads left through the treacherous swamp they created, we have to choose how to navigate.
I’m meandering in my writing because as I post, I’m convincing myself how wrong I was with my first words here. Like with cattle, maybe their roads lead to the slaughter pens.

5 Likes

@Bugleboy there are so many ways that government gets up in our business… and then turns that to some other use. It can’t be avoided in some areas, and for firearms I think that horse has long sailed… or something like that. But I don’t have to play beyond what is required.

Rights… use 'em or lose 'em.

Selling is another thing… I’m not selling to someone I’m not darn sure of. Anything that leaves my safe is probably going to be a trade-in against something I love more.

5 Likes

I can’t find anything to disagree with you @Zee except for your cruelty to horses lol.

3 Likes

That price is not my price but the dealer price. My price is only 10% more.

2 Likes