Punishing China

I agree with everything this article says. If their government had just been honest from the beginning this virus would not have escaladed as much as it had. We would have been better prepared. We wouldn’t be going through this virus globally and the thousands that have died may very still be alive. The proposed punishment is towards the end of the article. How would this be implemented? And how would someone like me show support to do this to our government officials?

2 Likes

I think the best, first step is for the world - starting with the US - to formally recognize Taiwan and Tibet as sovereign nations.

Then we can ramp up economic sanctions.

8 Likes

Sanctions against China are going to hurt the american consumer. I’m not saying I’m not for it as I already try to buy American products as much as possible. However I don’t think the people as a whole in this country are ready or willing to make the sacrifice to pay more.

2 Likes

I don’t know much about China… But I don’t trust them. How do you punish a group of people who don’t fear The MOST HIGH GOD (I’m referring to their leadership not the people in general)? Plus, he spoke on “WE THE PEOPLE” & how the 2nd Amendment is an issue. As the old gospel goes “sweep around your own front door before you try to sweep around mine.” :v:t5::muscle:t5:

5 Likes

I will agree with what the article said about “China needs to show good global citizenship” for the sake of every human on the planet.

But I have a couple of questions:

How do we “punish” China without hurting the millions of innocent people in China?

Can their leadership be punished for their bad decisions without hurting the people?

Who should be responsible for the bad decisions? Were they malicious or uninformed decisions? Does it make a difference?

With so much hate, fear, and anxiety in the world right now, would punishing an entire country for the acts of their leaders be the right thing to do?

Maybe I’m just being philosophical this morning. :woman_shrugging:

3 Likes

@Dawn - I don’t think the rest of the world can punish the Chinese people any more than their government does today. I don’t think China’s leadership can be punished without hurting the people, for even if a means were devised to do so, the leadership would punish their people and blame the world. There is a difference between a malicious bad decision (that is, one made with full knowledge of the inputs and with the intent of harming others) and an uninformed bad decision (when you don’t know what you don’t know, any bad decision can later be seen as such when, in the decisive moment, such clarity was unavailable).

I don’t see punishing China for their leaders’ actions in this crisis to be anything different than punishing with a jail sentence one who has intentionally broken a law.

4 Likes

Exactly. 100% agreed

1 Like

The punishment should be that we start to make all our medicine, ppe, supplies, and anything of a critical nature right here in the US. This should be done as soon as possible. Keep manufacturing here. Hits them in the wallet and more American jobs. It’s just common sense anyway. What the hell were we thinking anyway?

8 Likes

“Globalism”

4 Likes

If Trump wants to boost the economy he should stop importing ■■■■ from China, make bonuses for companies that stop exporting work for a buck, and make more company incentives for American jobs. Start the manufacturing of all critical need items here. It will create more American jobs and more jobs means more money, more money means better quality of life, better quality of life means happier people, happier people should equal less crime. I know it won’t get rid of all crime cause there are just bad people in the world. But if people were happier they’d invest more into American made products which would boost the economy… Vote for me this election year and that’s my plan to boost the economy. :fu: to the Chinese Communist Party.

Cut China out of our dealings
Prioritize American jobs
Manufacture pharmaceuticals and medical equipment in America
Make incentives for companies creating more jobs IN America
“Bubba 2020” lol

3 Likes

I am completely for a full embargo of China.

The problem with trying to punish such an overtly evil regime as Red China is that they own enough of our debt to destroy our economy. I don’t see how we can resist them in any way when we’ve allowed them into a position to destroy us on a whim.

4 Likes

Of the 23 trillion in debt we are only 1.07 trillion is owed to China from us. The rest of that debt is to the American people and our government debts. That’s only about 16% of our total debt I’m sure if it came down to it we could finish paying that debt especially since so many other countries owe us money. The countries that owe us money owe around 6 trillion.

1 Like

Those are excellent questions!

Actually. I think all of you make valid points!

We have to be civilized to other humans BUT I think it’s smart keeping our enemies close too!

1 Like

Of course these hypothetical sanctions will hurt American consumers, possibly for decades. Yes it will take that long to undo the industrial self-harm this nation did on China’s behalf done since 1992, 6 administrations, at least.

You’ve got to consider another angle though. What if a cheap computer comes with cyber crooks emptying your bank account… What if cheap smartphones comes with tracking and assassination of our military leaders by Chinese spies… What if cheap pair of shoes comes with a coffin for your grandfather… Would you buy these? There is hidden cost there, people knew it, didn’t know how fearful it will be. I’ll cite this article by Ann Coulter again.

So, people watch Red Dawn and cheer and then they go buy cheap piece of garbage sneakers made in red-dawn-land. Well, either that attitude will change, or talk about sanctions and divestment from China is fantasy and bravado, and we all need to stop getting excited about so-called freedom and so-called rights.

4 Likes

We are no talking about carpet-bombing Dresden, are we. We wish to buy American shoes, electronics, and screw drivers -does this hurt Chinese population? They have internal market for a billion people and likely will hardly notice we are not consuming their low-quality junk.

As far as the communist elite goes, the thing that scares and disgusts them most is they will not be able to leave their own country for Monaco and Las Vegas, that their children will have to attend school among their own people, rather than at Harvard. You will be doing a great favor and in fact please the people of China, if you lock their elite out of the West.

It absolutely matters if we are dealing with a cultural issue, a criminally complacent error, or a bioweapon release.

3 Likes

Personally, I think it’s simple. Stand behind the laws we have put forth in the past about trade, taxes, intellectual property, economic reporting standards, territorial disputes, etc.

IMO, looking to “punish” is a waste of resources. Standing behind the policies we have allowed to be overstepped here and there would be a start. I think our strategy should be to make America stronger and better prepared for the future. Things like this are bound to happen again, and there might not be a country or government to blame for the initiation of the disaster.

4 Likes

When I say punish I mean by stopping them from profiting off of us. Pay our debt to them and be done with them. No more trading for supplies and make as much produce as we can in our own country. I try my hardest to look for and buy products I’m looking for made in America. Unfortunately there is a lot that isn’t. We need to start relying on ourselves and not trade and cheap products from foreign countries.

6 Likes

It will take on the order of 50+ years of painful concerted effort to extricate the US/World from the grip of China’s control over almost every aspect of American life. They have 1.4 BILLION people, the majority of which are quite happy living on fish heads and rice which means they work for doggone near nothing. They PRODUCE 80% of the worlds consumable goods. Labor Law’s, Minimum Wage, Living Income … PFFFFT. The Chinese business model in the 1980’s was to make everything cheaper than anyone else. They did not start with completed products they started with COMPONENTS and cornered the market. 99% of the diodes, chips, widgets and whatchacallits in your phone, computer, microwave, car and refrigerator are made in China. I don’t care if your Samsung was assembled in South Korea they source their parts from China. Apple doesn’t even hide it they are mfg’d and assembled in Whuhan, China among other locations in China. Did everybody miss the little bits that got loose from the lamestream media on why Ford and GM couldn’t produce the ventilators as desired, the components came from China and China turned them off.

China is a sleeping dragon, the best way to eat a dragon is one bite at a time. The most successful way is by not pissing off the dragon before you can kill it.

Cheers,

Craig6

6 Likes

One more reason to become more dependent on ourselves.

3 Likes

Subtract the value of stolen intellectual property, damages from their toxic goods, and costs to cleanup the oceans from mountains of their trash - who will owe whom?

2 Likes