Penalty for carrying in “gun free zones” in IL?

An IL suburban police officer I know told me to carry all the time, including in so-called “gun free zones.” I believe he said there are no criminal charges for doing so UNLESS I am determined to be carrying, asked to leave, and refuse to do so. True?

2 Likes

@Sean7. Yes true unless of course it’s a government building, courthouse, post office or police station, or Hospital. My dentist rents an office condo he told me not to worry, they bought the sticker at Office Depot. There’s a door sticker on one door but not the other entrance door which is maybe 100’ directly in line from the other door but only one door has a no guns decal. When I was there for my last checkup I decided to wear an ankle holster. He said not to worry he said he felt more secure in his office with me carrying and he only rents his space so he is not making policy.

1 Like

True.
You cannot carry in federal / government buildings.
FYI: I was surprised you couldn’t carry inside Willis Tower… :grimacing:

1 Like

Your correct and there is a lot of legal issues that will happen, great job. If you get in a gun free zoneoutside that category of federal and state laws, there are places that only list a sigh.

You can get ask to leave the propriety. Many police officers have been ask to leave a
restaurant, because of their service equipment. But you live in Illinois , please follow the laws, it may be illegal, I am not totally correct on all states, sorry.

1 Like

In Illinois, the ISP official signage carries the weight of law.
1st offense. Misdemeanor 150 dollar fine
2nd offense. Misdemeanor 150 dollar fine and loss of ccw license for 6 months
3rd offense. CLASS 4 FELONY.
The signage must be at all public entrances, unless it is a location deemed a “gun free zone” by Illinois of federal law(post office, schools, library, etc).

2 Likes

@45IPAC. I hope that new fella reads this (Sean ?) I knew about the misdemeanors but I think if you’re asked to leave no further action would be taken??

Not in Illinois. If they have THE SIGN, you getting the fine. Now, it has to be the EXACT sign described by the ISP. And, it has to be on EVERY public entrance. That’s why I don’t go to AMC theaters. They have the sign. I will neither confirm, nor deny, if I ignore the sign at some locations.

3 Likes

@45IPAC. I should have been more clear I’m sorry, I was referring to the Office Depot type sign you can even buy them at Walgreens or stores like Walmart

1 Like

How can you tell an official ISP sign from any other non-ISP sign?

1 Like

It must be EXACT sign:
nogunikl

4 inches from top to bottom and 6 inches from left to right

If you see anything like these:

nogunswrong

you can legally disregard them…

3 Likes

Thanks. Appreciate the info.

2 Likes

Let’s add No%20Sheep

6 Likes

@MikeBKY that’s awesome. :smile:

1 Like

Knive laws in Texas

1 Like

If we can enforce the no sheep sign, the collar counties, Jackson, and most of East St Louis are gonna need some U-Haul trucks.

2 Likes

Hi @Mike37, welcome. On TX knife law, are you looking for a reference?

If you are looking for knife laws by state. Try KnifeupDOTcom

1 Like