How much trouble will you be in?

Does your state require gun-free zones to give you a warning and a chance to leave if you’re caught accidentally carrying in the gun-free zone?

3 Likes

Nope. Illinois has a specific sign that business must use. If they have The Sign then the penalties go like this
1st offense misdemeanor, 150 dollar fine

2nd offense misdemeanor, 150 dollar fine and loss of carry license for 6 months

3rd time, CLASS 4 FELONY :scream:

3 Likes

Nope, Michigan does not give those signs the weight of law. However you can still be hit with a trespassing charge which is a civil infraction.

In my line of work i have to understand Michigan’s trespassing laws. Cops won’t tell you this, but in order for a trespassing charge to stick you must be notified that you are trespassing and given an opportunity to leave prior to a charge being given.

It’s honestly best to just not patronize a place with a no firearms sign.

3 Likes

In Missouri, the posted “no guns” sign has no authority under the law, however the owner/operator can ask you to leave. If you don’t, they can call the cops and you can be charged with trespassing. It’s a property violation, not a firearms violation.

4 Likes

Arkansas it holds weight but has very specific requirements about how to post them. Most businesses have no clue. They think a sign inside the door works.

2 Likes

Indian sounds similar to MO and MI…signs hold no weight…I don’t even look for them. I just pay attention to the areas where it is actually restricted by law. Because I conceal carry, no one has ever figured out I was carrying and asked me to leave (so I guess I’m doing it right).

2 Likes

I’m in Kentucky. There are very few places I go that require me to be disarmed. As a nurse, I can not carry my handgun (although I do carry my knife), so I do not go into stores that post no gun signs. I figure I’m disarmed enough.

2 Likes

@BillP does that apply only at work? or are nurses restricted at other times too?

Our state does. The worst that can happen is you get trespassed off of the property and a civil fine.

2 Likes

Do what? Please explain further as to why a nurse cannot carry outside of work.

1 Like

If I remember correctly the no gun/weapons signs in Wisconsin need to be 5 x 7 inches or larger and placed in a reasonable location that an average person would see (there are/can be other requirements as well) to comply with the law. What about places that post those little 3 x 3 inch signs at the bottom of a door or on a side window where they are almost certain to be missed?

I understand if asked to leave I must but what about them having to comply with the law? What recourse do we as responsibly armed citizens have to force them to comply with the law telling us not to enter in the first place?

As my father use to say “Whats good for the goose is good for the gander”.

You’ll have to read up on WI law but in Texas unless the signs meet the specific Requirements under the law for 30.06 and 30.07 they are legally unenforceable which means while you may still be asked to leave and if you refuse you can be trespassed off of the property you cannot be cited for a 30.06/07 violation and fined.

2 Likes

from here:
https://docs.legis.wisconsin.gov/statutes/statutes/943/II/13

In this paragraph, “ sign" means a sign that states a restriction imposed under subd. [2.] that is at least 5 inches by 7 inches. [snipped] … has notified an individual not to enter or remain in a part of that building, or on the grounds of that building, while carrying a firearm or with a particular type of firearm if the owner has posted a sign that is located in a prominent place near all of the entrances to the part of the building to which the restriction applies or near all probable access points to the grounds to which the restriction applies and any individual entering the building or the grounds can be reasonably expected to see the sign.

so… 5x7" or bigger, posted at all likely entrances, and reasonably visible. The 3x3 out-of-the-way sign doesn’t meet that standard, so I’m guessing it’s not supported by force of law.

One other point @Dawn, in MO I don’t see anything in the law that says legally-restricted locations such as courthouses must post a sign. So from a gun-free-zone perspective I don’t think signage is required in restricted locations. Polling places and our post office, for example, don’t have signs, but they are legally restricted locations and if caught there with a firearm, I don’t believe they have any obligation to let you say “oops” and saunter back out.

Nope, the fed’s are not subject to any such state limitations, you get caught unlawfully carrying on Federal Property and there’s no turning back.

3 Likes

Illinois no gun sign has a very specific design. I ignored a “generic” one and got caught one time. When the cops got there, I was already outside headed to my truck. I showed the officer my ccw license, and a picture of the official sign. We had a nice quick discussion about how more people neede to understand the law. He asked if I liked my chosen carry gun. In the middle of our brief conversation, the pimple faced store manager interrupted. The officer showed him the picture, said I had done absolutely nothing wrong, and told him HE was wrong, and that officers had more important things than to baby sit stores like his. It happened because my kid needed to use the restroom, and wanted a toy as we left. When I went for my wallet, my son who was 6, gave me a hug. It caused my shirt to slide up a little, exposing the grip, and another pimple faced punk, got all scared. I wouldn’t have been in there, but, it was the nearest public restroom. I did use the Posted! App to put a picture of the store and their sticker up.

1 Like

The best remedy is to not give those companies your money. If they don’t want me to be able to protect myself they don’t get my money.

6 Likes

You all made good points about Wisconsin law (which I was aware of) the question still remains, what charges can be brought on the entity that dose NOT post these signs legally according to the law?

2 Likes

If you ended up being charged somehow i would imagine you could probably file a law suit against the owners for not following appropriate regulation? I think this might be fairly uncharted territory honestly.

2 Likes

Sorry, I wrote that incorrectly. I can not carry while at work. The signs carry the force of law. I carry when not working.

2 Likes