Pedophile Hunter Shot and Killed During Confrontation. Vigilantism is a tricky topic

I know we have touched on this subject before but maybe not enough. :thinking:

Take away comment…
“While we certainly understand his desire to hold child predators accountable, many times well intentioned individuals who engaged in this don’t know the standard of evidence required for convictions and often underestimate the potential for violence confronting a suspected predator,” Bouchard said.

• more

The Western Journal
The Western Journal

Follow

Pedophile Hunter Shot and Killed During Confrontation

Story by Bryan Chai •1h

[image]

@EmekaGift100 / X screen shot

@EmekaGift100 / X screen shot© The Western Journal

Vigilantism is a tricky topic.

On the one hand, the very concept of an everyman rising up against tyranny and evil is deeply woven into the fabric and history of this country.

On the other hand, most (all?) Americans are not Batman -- there is no plot armor protecting you while you go about being a vigilante.

And that can lead to tragic stories like this one about “Boopac Shakur” (no familial relation to the deceased rapper of similar name.)

According to the Detroit Free Press, Robert Wayne Lee, who operated a popular Facebook page under the “Boopac Shakur” moniker, was shot and killed after a confrontation with a 17-year-old and an 18-year-old on Friday.

The suspected shooter is the 17-year-old.

Lee, a 40-year-old man from Pontiac, Michigan, or “Boopac Shakur,” had become something of a local online celebrity through his content where he would attempt to catch sexual predators, primarily by posing as a young child in online forums.

Police arrest 2 in killing of ‘Boopac Shakur,’ vigilante who lured alleged sex predators

Robert Wayne Lee, also known as “Boopac Shakur,” who exposed alleged sexual predators online by posing as a minor, was killed in Michigan during a confrontation with two teenagers. The… pic.twitter.com/t7wCGdS9gi

— Emeka Gift Official (@EmekaGift100) October 2, 2023

It was during one of these confrontations where Lee was shot and killed after he accused one of the unnamed suspects of being a pedophile.

Police eventually caught up to the suspects on Saturday in Pontiac, and the case is expected to be handed over to prosecutors shortly.

Lee, meanwhile, was ultimately pronounced dead after being taken to a hospital for the gunshot wound.

This is an obvious tragedy, all around, made all that much worse by the fact that Lee appeared to be attempting to do genuine, altruistic good.

But even genuine, altruistic good can have a downside apart from the tragedy itself.

In a release from the Oakland County Sheriff’s office, per the Free Press, Lee’s good deeds actually ensnared an innocent man – and that’s no small accusation to levy.

“His one-man crusade has led to the arrest and criminal charges being filed against several men,” the release said. “He has also mistakenly identified someone as a sexual predator who was not.”

Sheriff Michael Bouchard also spoke on the incident and tried to dissuade others from engaging in similar acts of vigilantism.

“While we certainly understand his desire to hold child predators accountable, many times well intentioned individuals who engaged in this don’t know the standard of evidence required for convictions and often underestimate the potential for violence confronting a suspected predator,” Bouchard said.

"They feel trapped and often lash out violently. When we have arrested predators in such circumstances, they have rammed police cars and exhibited other violent behavior in attempts to escape.”

And, again, perhaps if you had a Batmobile, criminals ramming their car into you wouldn’t be such a big deal.

But that’s just not the case in the real world, which is what makes vigilantism such a fascinating and dangerous concept.

Again, the honorable and good intentions of vigilantism are apparent: When you feel that the justice system can’t actually provide justice, you take matters into your own hands.

But as the story of Robert Wayne Lee shows here, taking matters into one’s own hands can have disastrous consequences, good intentions and all.

12 Likes

There just seem to be way too many things that can go wrong when you try to entrap someone into committing a crime even for legitimate LEOs let alone vigilantes.

Along with being killed by the criminal - you could end up being sued by the criminal, mistakenly destroy the reputation and life of a wrongly accused person (and get sued by that person too), interfere with an ongoing investigation or improperly collect evidence so that it cannot be used against the criminal and they are allowed to go free, etc…

I prefer to leave the policing to the police. Ideally the politicians would be providing LEOs with the funding, training and support they need to catch these criminals but I suspect that vigilantes often make LEOs jobs even harder rather than easier.

Though I see nothing wrong with keeping an eye out for people who legitimately appear to be involved in criminal activity and turning that information over to LEOs.

12 Likes

The way I see it is people are people regardless of if one is a vigilante or police officer, if one has the training to protect, then protect.

1 Like

I doubt the vigilantes have the training that sworn peace officers do, or the resources the police do, but even then, the peace officers aren’t going to do these kinds of things solo, even with their training, equipment, and resources.

It’s really just not comparable.

Best bet is definitely to turn information over the proper authorities, for everyone’s benefit.

6 Likes

One can only imagine what happened, given how low presumtion of innocence is valued in today’s world. That should have been the end of this man’s vigilantism, would keep him alive too.
Huge question whom and under what circumstances he confronted last, and if the shooting will be found justified.

7 Likes

Is it legal for 17- and 18-year olds to possess a gun in Michigan in that setting?

Vigilantism sells comic books and movies.

Don’t try it at home.

6 Likes

I will have to admit, until reading the story, I thought the title was stating that Hunter Biden was killed. I have to admit, I liked that idea over what the story was actually about. Good intentions do not negate bad decisions and acting outside the law. I do feel bad for him, though, being killed doing what I would assume he believed was a just cause.

3 Likes