Panic purchasing

Just for the heck it, yesterday I stopped by my local shop(on first name basis) I don’t know if that is good or bad! Lol. First words out of his mouth, Jim have not seen you for a month, welcome, slim pickings! I looked at the cabinets and was shocked! Had to see for my self. Wow. So just for another laugh went to another shop today, (this shop is like walking into a car dealership) they had maybe 15 pistols, I looked at the owner, smiled, and said wow, people are really scared! But who can blame them. He told me, can’t get products from distributors, as much as he begs and he is one of the top stores in Wv.
I asked them both, they are fellow instructors, if they try to get the new owners in to classes? I offered to help teach if they need the help. Thankfully most people are getting some lessons! Looks like will be teaching some classes this week!

9 Likes

I do private lessons and teach CCW classes. My classes are booked to capacity for the next month and my private lessons are booked through July. It’s awesome to work with so many new shooters who WANT to be responsibly armed!

The local range and gun stores are barren. :confused: It’s hard on these stores when they have nothing to sell and people are looking to buy right now.

12 Likes

Yes! It’s like t.p.!
I was an executive chef for a high end supermarket in the north east. When I would go to the back isle, we kept enough product just to replenish the shelves. (Space is money) not restock the whole isle. Same as fire arms, have one in the cabinet, and maybe a couple of more to replace. Not have enough for an all out run on it. Sad.

6 Likes

Made it to my local shop yesterday and the shelves where looking bare. They keep a huge inventory of Glocks and they were almost gone. Same for ARs.

4 Likes

Yup. I’m wanting to order a new carry gun, but, the one I want is indefinitely backordered. My gun shop is the same way. First name basis, gives my kid a sucker every time we’re there. While I shop, my son goes outside and plays with the owners dog. He’s going to text me as soon as he can get what I want. He said he’ll order what I want, and hold it for me to come by and fill out my 4473 and pay him.

6 Likes

Nothing like riots, looting and a little anarchy while police are ordered to stand down to get people thinking of how to protect themselves!

19 Likes

I’m glad my guns and ammo supplies are pretty near fully stocked and what I’m looking for isn’t likely to move fast if it appears at all. That said our beloved Governor has shut down all private purchases as of yesterday so the hunt continues and the occasional score will occur. Haven’t been shooting much as I have been trying to get my Hot Rod up and running which is taking most of my time and doggone near all my money. Today the old motor is coming out as soon as it gets a little cooler and the new block should be ready for it’s next steps at the machinist next week. If all goes well I’ll be piecing it together over the next couple of months and have it up and running for Trunk or Treat in October. I may get a little range time in there as I REALLY need to shoot my LAR Grizzly and a hunting bolt gun that I forgot I lent to a bud about 5 years ago that he returned. Also need to reload some various calibers that have been neglected too long.

Time and money, when you have one the other is in short supply.

Cheers,

Craig6

8 Likes

I’m glad that if push comes to shove. I can always reload ammo for either of my carry guns. but I’d really not have to use reloaded ammo because of legal issues might might come into play if I had to use reloaded ammo in either of them for self defense. And I go to practice I do use reloaded ammo. But then switch back to store bought for carrying.

6 Likes

Yeah, same here not shooting as much since this covid 19 business started. I go to the range to shoot, and wind up teaching new people. Which I don’t mind, cause i don’t want to get shot at the range.
Plus I wish to keep ammo levels up.
Yes, reloads are for the range! Don’t load your own self defense ammo.
I am also a reloader, been doing it for 20 years.

6 Likes

I hope (and pray) that we get this boat righted and headed back onto a better course. Finally got toilet paper back on the shelves at the grocery store. I was going through all my old combat gear and decided to purchase a new plate hangar and plates today. Anyone heard of Shellback?

5 Likes

Now if we could only get them to understand the Republic in which they live, that would be a greater achievement than landing on the Moon!

5 Likes

Finding reloading products are really hard to find. The shop I go to has like two AR’s and a couple of older rifles. OH, and a couple black powder pistols. Another shop I frequent has had a three hour wait to get into the store. The main warehouse place has guns but the ammo shelves are empty. Buy a gun but you do not have any ammo. I keep working on my supplies and in the meanwhile I practice with my Lasyr dry fire system that I train people with. I gather a lot of information from using this system and I keep improving all the time.
I know of a lot of people talking about needing ammo and some who want to get themselves a gun for protection. I just printed out more cards to hand out. Practice and be safe, wash your hands and wear a mask, its fun!

5 Likes

I called a local gun dealer for the first time a few weeks back, and I was surprised to learn just how much of an increase in gun sales there had been since Covid started; then another increase when the looting/rioting started. I was lucky, as he had a tool in stock that was to my liking, but have since learned, finding ammo is a bit of a problem.

I don’t feel I bought the tool in a fit of panic, though; it was time to commit to protection, as we are our first defenders. As the saying goes, when seconds count, the police are only minutes away. (God bless our police, and others, that put there life on the line for us.)

I’m glad there are those who can train others. The thought that comes to mind with all the increase in gun sales, is, how many people are now armed and might not know how to use their new tool correctly/effectively!? Thinking of ND’s, for instance; or loading/unloading safely, etc…

4 Likes

The two shops I frequent are both in the same situation; most of the guns they have left are either less desirable (relatively speaking) or more expensive. The handguns still in the case are starting at $500 and head quickly north. The used handguns are almost non-existant, and even those are starting at around $400+.

Long guns aren’t really any better. More supply maybe, but mostly the high dollar models. The only shotguns left are the In the $1200 and up range, and most of the rifles were bolt action hunters or falling block actions. Very nice guns but maybe not so home-defensey.

Although, they did have the cutest little cricket sized .22 made to look just like a miniature Mosin Ngant 91/30. Full length wood stock, straight bolt handle, fixed box magazine and everything! If I only had someone to buy it for it would have come home with me!

The ammo situation is even worse. Except for a few lonely boxes of defensive rounds you can forget about pistol ammo in any popular caliber. They did have a little bit of the big bore stuff, like 44 magnum and S&W .500, as well as a few .25 auto and the like. The rifle ammo was only a little better, mostly hunting/long range cartridges. Little to nothing in the common AR or AK calibers. They did have a fair amount of .22 short.

It’s positively dismal out there!

4 Likes

@Craig6

You know, if you happened to have some spare .300 Blackout I’m betting I could find some kind of part for that car of yours, even if I had to go buy it. Kidding (not kidding). :eyes::innocent::see_no_evil::us_outlying_islands::hear_no_evil:

5 Likes

@Zavier_D if you find a 77 - 79 Ranchero, LTD2, Thunderbird, Cougar or Lincoln in your neck of the woods I would make a point of finding some 300 Blackout. Pulling the motor today as soon as I can get a bigger engine hoist. My rinky dink 1 ton worked great on my boy’s cars but when you have 6’ of hood you need the big stuff just to reach.

Cheers,

Craig6

6 Likes

At the hardware store this morning I just saw .45ACP FMJ WWB for $29/50 rd box.
That’s crazy.
Unless you’re out of ammo, I guess.

3 Likes

Are you referring to line crossing, if so I
I’m a Shellback and Golden Shellback.
Guessing you mean tactical plate carriers? Banshee!
Everything is out of stock.

4 Likes

Both local shops close to me are picked over, no AR-15’s very few handguns (mostly .22s). Ammo is scarce, with .40 S&W being the only one on the shelf, and only a box or 2 of that. I have seen ammo for sale online but the prices are pretty high for it. IL has not had a gun show since the COVID-19 shutdown so I don’t know if those dealers have any stock they have held back or if they have sold it all online? I have had a gun on order for over a month now from a large dealer, they have no idea of when it will arrive.

3 Likes

Went through shellback crossing a few times. Shellback initiation is a crazy event… I would describe some of it but don’t want to get banned. I was talking about Shellback Tactical Armor. Stumbled across LAPG on Gun.Deals. The Banshee Elite 2.0 kit and level IV plates are on sale, have a 15% discount code for more discount, and free shipping. This body armor gets shipped straight from their SC factory for free. Also, picked up a Vortex Strike Eagle 3-18 x44
at EuroOptic to finish my A5 build. Good kind of shopping :wink:

3 Likes