Open Carry Experience Anyone?

I am in a legal open carry state here in Delaware, but the firearm must be in plain view on the dash or on the passenger seat while driving. I will eventually get my CCW, but for now I am considering open carry on certain outings. Any shared advice or legal pitfalls would be Appreciated.

4 Likes

Unwanted attention is the biggest one for me

Also make sure you have a holster with some level of retention. A duty level holster

3 Likes

Yes sir I can advise you to get your CCW quickly because I am in an open carry state and refuse to open carry. Better to have the element of surprise. Carry on brother and be blessed.

4 Likes

Despite all the doomsday talk around open carry, it is a great deterrence. The naysayers regurgitate the EXACT same reasons against open carry, like… “If someone comes into a business to rob it you will be the first one shot”. I will call out that as pure B.S… I have never read about this happening even once. And you will NEVER hear or know about a bad guy seeing someone is armed and turns around and leaves. That simply can’t be measured. And then there is the next reason is… “Someone will reach in and grab your gun”. Sorry, once again B.S. if you use a good quality retention holster, a rigid duty belt. and have the slightest bit of situational awareness. If open carry was as dangerous as people say it wouldn’t be allowed at all.
The businesses I frequent actually prefer I open carry. I do not dress in “tachticool” 2a clothing. Always a nice shirt with a collar, casual pants or nice jeans, and nice shoes. I get TONS of nods and smiles. From citizens as well as law enforcement.
If you don’t like open carry… then simply don’t do it. Please stop saying it is unsafe and all the other excuses people use without any facts to back up your opinion. Want to prove me wrong?.. show some stats about citizens being gunned down because they opened carried as well as the number of times criminals are deferred by open carry. Guess what, you can’t.
This is me doing open carry… I don’t scare people, small children, or even snowflakes… just the bad guys. Deterrence.

14 Likes

Thank you for your confident take on open carry. I have concealed carry with a CCW before in other states I have lived, but I’m going thru the process of getting my CCW in Delaware. It could take awhile and since open carry is legal here I am about to take that leap.

2 Likes

Thank you for your take on this. I am in process of getting my CCW, but could take awhile since I am a fairly new resident of this state. I would normally not entertain open carry, but in the current environment the time is now.

1 Like

Hey Charles. That just seems insane. In plain sight on the top of the dash or laying on the seat? How do you secure it when cornering?
I am not afraid to open carry, but driving around so others can see the firearm on my dashboard would make me nervous. And I live in Texas with Glocks, they would melt in the summer sun.

3 Likes

Yea I know it’s ridiculous and that’s why I’ve been hesitant for legal and safety reasons. My solution was a modular retention holster that locks onto a secured double strap on the passenger seat…of course no front seat passenger :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

That would make the passenger a little uncomfortable in a two-seat sports car. Ouch!

2 Likes

It’s definitely limiting, but gotta adapt to the laws and the current environment.

2 Likes

An option for securing in a vehicle would be one of those universal fit Molle panels and mount it backwards so the Molle is facing the front. Use a safariland holster with the QLS molle mount. Then you can transfer it from your belt to your car without having to unholster

https://www.trex-arms.com/store/safariland-qls-male/#:~:text=The%20Safariland%20QLS%20is%20a,Mounting%20hardware%20included.&text=Thigh%20Strap%2C%20Ragnarok%2C%20QLS%20Fork,QLS%20Fork%20on%20a%20Ragnarok.

3 Likes

Thanks for the input on this. I use an Alien Gear driver defense mount that straps securely to the seat pan and yes my holster is modular and can easily transfer from my belt to the seat mount.

3 Likes

Things may be different down here than they are in other states. I open carry often, and it does attract attention. However, it has never been bad attention. I’ve had some great conversations with long time carriers, beginners, and people that are interested but currently aren’t able to (no ltc). I’ve had people that have no interest in carrying thank me for carrying. I’ve encouraged someone that was on the fence about ltc to take the step for the safety of themselves and their family. I have also had the opportunity to learn from complete strangers about gear they have. I’ve been asked for a review of my carry gun. I’ve had multiple encounters/conversations with officers that were enjoyable… while one or two asked to see my ltc, they were more than respectful…one gave me a heads up on where ammunition was available. I have never been harassed, had the police called on me, or even looked at sideways. I enjoy the opportunities I am fortunate enough to have while I OC. While I’m sure it could attract less favorable attention, the positive experiences I have had far outweigh the bad. Everyone has their own opinion on CC vs OC in the same way some people like 1911’s over Glocks and vice versa. In the end it all boils down to what is comfortable and works for you. As I have said before… some may disagree, but that’s the good thing about freedom :us:

(Levi2’s profile says he lives in TX ~Dawn)

11 Likes

Disclaimer: I am in no way attacking anyone or their opinions.
I would like to see statistical data for safety concerning CC vs OC. I would like to expand my knowledge on this subject in the event that it is the topic of conversation with someone out and about. IMO the OC vs CC debate is based on personal experience, often determined by location. But to say OC is dangerous because of (insert reason) is not always true, because you may be in San Francisco as opposed to me in southeast Texas, or New York’s attitude toward guns compared to the one in Kansas. We may not necessarily have the same social attitude towards guns as y’all do. Also what are the statistics on targeting concerning CC vs OC? To state something such as
OC is inherently more dangerous without facts can be equal to the fear mongering you see on the news. Especially when it comes to new gun owners.

5 Likes

Both the mrs and I ride the fence on this subject, and have debated it for years. Concealed is concealed and no one knows. Arguments and debates! A few years ago, we were in Cody,WY., I will never forget, that we saw many open carry. Even store merchants. The feeling in that environment was that of “safe.” Every time we visit Cody, the same visual is experienced. People walking around wally world store, many open carry. Of course I like to look at guns, holsters, etc., so I gawk. In our town of Pocatello, and Idaho is a big gun state, we don’t see many open carry. I wish for a day called “open carry day.!”

There is something that bothers me…if some whacko see my firearm in open carry, could he take it away from me in a nano second? Could I respond quickly? Could I be confused by a stranger as LEO?

3 Likes

Question. hypothetically, say you are cc at the grocery store… would it be possible for a perp to case you out while you were there and wait for you to be distracted, and swiftly lift your shirt and grab your firearm? Pick-pockets do things like this all the time. I feel in most cases, a t-shirt is false confidence. when you or I carry, we notice other people that carry. I’m sure criminals that are looking for targets do the same. Quite often I notice people that think their firearm is hidden, but there is the smallest print. Any criminal that would go for your firearm may end up with it regardless of CC or OC, because they are not likely just winging it… they don’t want to die as much as you or I don’t want to. I feel like a lot of the fears people have concerning OC is possible with CC as well.
Edit : I say t-shirt because I am in south Texas. Any more than that isn’t happening…

1 Like

I agree. I think people’s opinion of OC vs CC is based on their location. I prefer to CC because I grew up in the Communist Republic of Jersey, and guns there are looked at like grenades ready to explode. I no longer live in Jersey but that stigma still sits in the back of my mind and CC has become a force of habit. I am personally not comfortable with OC on my body. If I see another person OC though I go about my day cause well that’s perfectly fine.

I have only seen 1 maybe 2 videos of a legal OC being attacked by a citizen. I have however seen numerous YouTube videos of OC being harassed by LEO’s. Not that YouTube would post the positive experiences and I’m sure the negatives are just the outliers in areas where guns aren’t common such as Jersey or California.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.tampabay.com/news/publicsafety/man-shopping-for-coffee-creamer-at-walmart-attacked-by-vigilante-for/2214432/%3FoutputType=amp

The link is to an article about a legal open carrier being attacked by a vigilante. As for LEO harassing OC it’s as simple as a Google or YouTube search which can bring up dozens of not a hundred videos.

2 Likes

I have been open carrying for the past 7 or so years here in Wisconsin. I’ve NEVER had a problem.

7 Likes

Is there any other place you can have the firearm while driving? Such as on the side of the center console or under the dash? If so you could mount a magnet to hold it. As far as OC or nothing, even if your opinion is that the level of danger is increased compared to CC, an OC gun is better than no gun.

2 Likes

I am a big proponent of Concealed. Sun Tzu, in The Art of War, don’t let your opponent know your strengths… Why lose that advantage.

But, you got me thinking a bit. The question has always been to carry open or concealed but in your case it is to carry open or not at all, interesting.

In this case I’d probably open carry with every intention to get my concealed license as soon as possible and add some formal training.

4 Likes