OOPS - Back Fired - Book Banning right here in Utah

The student’s mistake was thinking this is a quiz on biology. No, it was a quiz on compliance.

3 Likes

I’ve only seen one 10 second clip of Fox News stating the 2020 election wasn’t rigged or stolen. Now that is fine print. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xVV9RBfvBPE&t=1s

1 Like

4+6=A In hexadecimal just sayin

1 Like

“Using a conservative estimate”?
Yep, just as I suspected, conservatives estimating voter fraud, because they lost the election. MAGA’s complaining because Joe beat Donald. :roll_eyes:

Sorry, I’m working on being a better politician.

1 Like

If I remember the reason for removing the Bible from the school was because, based on the banning criteria its content ran afoul the silly banning criteria. So to be consistent they had to ban the book. I’m almost certain the Book of Mormon ran into the same issues.

I think a better thing to do would be to stop trying to ban books from libraries. Talk to your kids about what they are reading, have interesting discussions. Be glad they are reading at all! Leave the Bible in the school. Leave the Book of Mormon in the schools (kids may have trouble getting to sleep in study and that book will certainly help) keep the Satanic Bible in library. It is fine. It really is.

Around here it had something to do with their dicks as big as a horse and such…

I’m sure that is a passage that could be pointed and compared to the criteria for banning and then poof, the Bible is banned along with books book banners wanted to target. The bible is full of things that, viewed through the lens of banning criteria offered by these book banners mean it also gets banned from school libraries. This is a predictable outcome, but one for which book banner types consistently fail to predict.

As goes Judy Blume so goes the Bible I guess.

1 Like

It is possible to put together a set of criteria that put = sign between the Bible and a book like “gender queer”.

However, an experienced psychiatrist should observe the process and adjust medication dosage for the patient to avert violent maniacal breakdowns

2 Likes

If one sets criteria such that this or that offensive thing should get a book banned, almost all holy books are going to run afoul those criteria. You can think your favorite holy book should be exempt from the criteria because you think it is divinely inspired but since that can’t really be demonstrated that looks like special pleading. Consistency minded people are most likely going to boot all the potentially offending materials just to avoid the headaches.

Is Gender Queer your holy book?

5 Likes

Nope. I’ve never read it. I’m not the biggest fan of memoir of any kind.

I have no holy books.

Doesn’t it depend on what you consider holy or are the only books you have smut.

3 Likes

I kinda look at ART of WAR - Sun Tzu as a Holy Book, at least in the Fighting world.

3 Likes

That is exercising your first amendment, right.:+1:

2 Likes

If I thought books could be holy, I’d totally agree with you about The Art of War I’d probably add Minamoto’s Book of Five Rings to such a holy book list.

1 Like

I’m sure it does depend on what one considers holy. I just don’t think books can be holy. They can be meaningful, thoughtful, interesting, entertaining, edifying, funny, thrilling etc. But holy? I don’t think so.

I mean, some people consider the Kama Sutra to be a holy work. Some people consider it to be smut.

I don’t think I have any smut on my well stocked bookshelves. Though, like the category holy I suspect that really depends on the beholding eye of the reader. Most of shelves are filled with biology, ecology and ethology text, no shortage of Brazilian Jiu Jitsu and Judo books, comics and noir fiction, a fair number of revolver reference works, and a growing number of Massad Ayoob books.
Some of the noir fiction can certainly be pretty purple, but smut?
Anyway, make of that collection what you will.

1 Like

You got me, sounds like a good collection. I am almost sure there is a lot of holiness in there. Or stuff derived from holiness.

2 Likes

I am almost sure there is a lot of holiness in there. Or stuff derived from holiness.

There might very well be! I do try to read widely, so there are a few actual religious and philosophical texts (they just don’t make up a significant portion of my collection so I didn’t think to mention them). In addition to that, Stephen King horror is a fairly Christianity based kind of horror. The heroes in books like The Stand, 'Salem’s Lot, even many elements of The Dark Tower clearly set the heroes in the role of serving God and opposing the the other. I’ve read most all of the King bibliography, but on myself I’ve only kept the novels I’m sure I will read again.
Thanks for the kind words about my bookshelf.

1 Like